Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2021 6:16:58 AM EDT
Hello all,
Coming to the Georgia mountains soon.
I know Georgia has carry reciprocity with Florida.  My question is, can I have a handgun in my rental vehicle ?  Or does it have to be on my person ?
Here, we can have a gun in the glove box, console, or in a zippered case while in the vehicle.
I'll be having my derringer in "carjacking" position, on my left side.  I wanted to bring a snubby .38 as well.
Would my wife be able to have it in her purse ? ( she has a CCW )
Thanks !
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 7:22:39 AM EDT
[#1]
carry, travel with it any any way you like.  GA has no vehicle restrictions as far as handguns go.  No duty to inform either.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 10:29:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hello all,
Coming to the Georgia mountains soon.
I know Georgia has carry reciprocity with Florida.  My question is, can I have a handgun in my rental vehicle ?  Or does it have to be on my person ?
Here, we can have a gun in the glove box, console, or in a zippered case while in the vehicle.
I'll be having my derringer in "carjacking" position, on my left side.  I wanted to bring a snubby .38 as well.
Would my wife be able to have it in her purse ?
Thanks !
View Quote

For clarity sake.....Your wife can have it in the car without a permit in her purse or on her person.  

However, should she leave the vehicle she would need to have a CCW recognized by GA (as you know FL is good to go) to be legal.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 2:59:38 PM EDT
[#3]
GA views your vehicle (even a rental) as an extension of your dwelling. As there are no restrictions on how firearms are stored or carried in your home, there are likewise no restrictions in your vehicle.

And despite what some LEOs will tell you, there is no duty to inform.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 6:07:10 PM EDT
[#4]
You can hang it from the rearview mirror like an air freshener for all we care.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 9:20:35 AM EDT
[#5]
And to add...www.georgiacarry.org has a great FAQ page that links you to the various states of the Union with their state laws you have to abide by and which states have reciprocity with each other.

Come on up
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 7:55:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Along the same lines, is it true it's legal to open carry a long gun (rifle, carbine, etc) without a permit in GA? I was reading through the laws and saw that.  Did I read that wrong?

Kind of amazing that they would allow that but not allow carrying concealed without a permit.  I can just see someone getting questioned by the cops for carrying an AK47 around and then explaining that they would rather carry a concealed handgun so as not to freak some people out but because they don't have a permit the law forces them to open carry their AK47 for self defense .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top