Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2023 6:54:14 AM EDT
Howdy.

If I read your state laws correctly, I should be good to go transporting a pistol through MD up 81 so long as the gun is unloaded and in the trunk with the ammunition separate from the gun.  

Is there anything else I need to know?

What about 15 round mags unloaded transporting through with no stops?

Do I need to travel with a 10 rounder and then buy a 15 once I get into PA then switch back when I travel back through donating the 15 rounder to a PA resident?

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:41:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: parrisisland1978] [#1]
From 2022 Firearms Law book. Invest in a new one. They're worth it. Shit like mag capacities change in the commie states all the time. Other states you go thru may have strange things. Take Virginia, they honor most everybody's permits but you can't carry in a public highway restroom at a rest stop. That's like THE place you need it most!! I don't stop at one. Maryland is 10 minute ride thru on I-81. I don't speed no matter how bad the traffic is. If I lived in western PA instead of NEPA, I would just avoid it all together and go thru freedom loving West By God Virginia.
https://www.gunlawguide.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjw_MqgBhAGEiwAnYOAelR7O0cHJAQir6QZoB0w2Q99WUCY9mz3IQjpaqAfbG8jNZQ6YZnMHBoC8lAQAvD_BwE&v=2320522a6676

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 12:11:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 2:24:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy a combination locking gun box you can get one for $20 at Walmart.  Put the pistol in the lockbox before entering md. You can have any size magazine you want in the state, put your magazines in a different bag, they can be loaded, but I recommend them not and have ammo in at least separate compartments of the bag.  There are federal laws protecting people traveling interstate with firearms.  Basically if the weapon is legal where you start and legal where you are going, you are permitted to travel trough non friendly states  providing it be properly stored.

Make as direct route as you can and make sure you do not do a ‘destination stop” in md.  This means do not stop at a hotel or other place unless it is a true emergency.  Gas and bathrooms stops are not generally considered destinations because they are very short and can be necessary.

The biggest thing that gets people in trouble is the intent. If your pistol is locked in a box the magazine is empty and ammo is separate they will have a very hard time proving you intended to  break the laws.
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 10:03:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StaccatoC2] [#4]
As much as people worry about maryland. Keep the guns unloaded and in a case, and you will have no issues. You can even stay over night, or two. Your not moving to the state, your not staying here its fine. Heck you can even vacation here for a week or two with guns, just avoid having the no no guns ( aw's ).

There is nothing in maryland laws saying you cant have a gun with you unloaded ( and cased ) and not on your body ( does not mean going to the store, means going from legal place to legal place )
. Now this is not saying the people like the maryland transit police ( the biggest dick dept ) wont try to give you a hard time if they find out you have a gun in the car, but if its unloaded they cant do shit.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 8:12:09 AM EDT
[#5]
One would be surprised by the number of VA, WV and PA carriers that pass through that portion of 81 “riding dirty”.  My guess is that they aren’t stopping in WV or PA to unholster and put things where they need to be, drive 12 miles, pullover and undo what they did 15 minutes ago.  Drive through there like you have some sense and they will not look at you…
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top