Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2021 6:55:58 PM EDT
My truck is going to be totaled, looking at getting a Tundra. Anyone have one? Also who is our resident Toyota guy? @toyotaguru?
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 8:54:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My truck is going to be totaled, looking at getting a Tundra. Anyone have one? Also who is our resident Toyota guy? @toyotaguru?
View Quote

Had a 4runner for 3 years before buying my Tundra in 2018.  Loved both of them.

One buddy had a Tacoma for years before buying a 4runner in 2017.

Another buddy bought a Tacoma 8 years ago.  Recent storm caused a tree to fall on it, totalling it.  He bought another taco.

What's not to like?  

Link Posted: 9/26/2021 9:26:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

Another buddy bought a Tacoma 8 years ago.  Recent storm caused a tree to fall on it, totalling it.  He bought another taco.

What's not to like?  

Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:36:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What's not to like?  

View Quote

Thanks. I was looking at a Tacoma, but eventually want to buy a camper and trailer to haul stuff with, so the Tundra seems more of a fit.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:19:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a 2018 Taco. It's alright, but it eats tires, rusts, and gulps fuel.  Plus it has no "go."  From what I've read, the Tundra get the same fuel economy and gives you acceleration when you ask for it. Get the Tundra.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:19:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have a 2018 Taco. It's alright, but it eats tires, rusts, and gulps fuel.  Plus it has no "go."  From what I've read, the Tundra get the same fuel economy and gives you acceleration when you ask for it. Get the Tundra.
View Quote

A 2018 with rust? That doesn't seem right. Is it surface or "flash" rust? Or parts are already falling off type rust? If you think it's an issue, I would take it back to the dealer. That should be covered under warranty I would think.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:39:38 AM EDT
[#6]
You might get some more feedback over in the Cars and Bikes sub-forum.  Nothing against Tundra's, but the 1/2 ton platform might limit you some on camper size.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:07:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I own neither, but from what I understand, the Tacoma is more on the small/midsize platform w/V-6 engine and the Tundra is fullsize w/V-8.

So you have to look at these and compare with more of their counterparts of the Chevy Colorado or Ford Ranger for the Tacoma, and the Tundra to a Chevy Silverado, Ford F-150 or Dodge 1500.

I believe diesels are available for both if that's another option you'd want to consider, if heavier duty framework is wanted to handle the torque for towing/hauling.

I don't know much about them other than also being Japanese, and that is the Nissan Titan. They seem to be more of the forgotten, but very capable Dodge models of the Japanese trucks. You don't seem to hear of frame or excessive rust problems that you hear the Toyota's have.

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 10:52:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

A 2018 with rust? That doesn't seem right. Is it surface or "flash" rust? Or parts are already falling off type rust? If you think it's an issue, I would take it back to the dealer. That should be covered under warranty I would think.
View Quote

Most warranty wording ive read relating to rust is if you cant see daylight through it, it's still okay.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:41:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Most warranty wording ive read relating to rust is if you cant see daylight through it, it's still okay.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's how ford and gm operate. They require pre approval from photos sent in, almost all repair requests were denied.

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 4:34:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You might get some more feedback over in the Cars and Bikes sub-forum.  Nothing against Tundra's, but the 1/2 ton platform might limit you some on camper size.
View Quote

Better yet, I posted on GD . We don't want anything big right now. Definitely less than 10,000 pounds.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 4:52:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I own neither, but from what I understand, the Tacoma is more on the small/midsize platform w/V-6 engine and the Tundra is fullsize w/V-8.

So you have to look at these and compare with more of their counterparts of the Chevy Colorado or Ford Ranger for the Tacoma, and the Tundra to a Chevy Silverado, Ford F-150 or Dodge 1500.

I believe diesels are available for both if that's another option you'd want to consider, if heavier duty framework is wanted to handle the torque for towing/hauling.

I don't know much about them other than also being Japanese, and that is the Nissan Titan. They seem to be more of the forgotten, but very capable Dodge models of the Japanese trucks. You don't seem to hear of frame or excessive rust problems that you hear the Toyota's have.

View Quote

I had an F150 and loved it. They've basically priced me out. I don't want the expense of a turbo when the warranty goes out and the 5.0 trucks are going for more than I want to spend right now. They got rid of the 3.7 for some reason. I never had a problem with that motor. I'd buy a power stroke or Cummins, but again, more than I want to spend right now. I did look at Nissan, I just don't like them. Im in a Dodge rental right now and it's meh.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:56:32 PM EDT
[#12]
We towed a small travel trailer with our ‘14 Tacoma. Very small, like 19’ tongue to bumper. It did fine but honestly the truck is a bit underpowered for it. Definitely get a trailer brake controller. Only real issues we’ve had is some U-joints going bad and some interior pieces breaking. 140k on the clock so far
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:08:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's just surface rust. Unattractive, but functional.

ETA: One positive of Toyotas is the resale. I have 48,000 miles and can sell the vehicle for about what I paid for it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:26:56 PM EDT
[#14]
If your looking for a new Tundra word is delayed till Feb or Mar next year. If you have any specific questions feel fee to pm me.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:38:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

ETA: One positive of Toyotas is the resale. I have 48,000 miles and can sell the vehicle for about what I paid for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My Ford had the same issue.

I've noticed that about their trucks. I can get a new truck for the same price as a used one right now. It's crazy!
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:39:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If your looking for a new Tundra word is delayed till Feb or Mar next year. If you have any specific questions feel fee to pm me.
View Quote

Pm sent.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 2:29:59 PM EDT
[#17]
If you would take a non-4x4 you can still find them for sale new.

I have had two Tundras a 2005 Limited Double cab and a 2011 Rock Warrior Double cab. Both were great trucks. Only issue with either is that they are thirsty no matter how you drive them.
I have since replaced my 2011 Tundra with a 2021 4 Runner.
Towing causes the Tundra to be more thirsty. Loved both Tundras and really wished I had not gotten rid of the 2005 when I did, but I had a moment of stupidity when I replaced it with a BMW X3.
Resale on Toyota is excellent, so much so that I could make an easy $5-10k on my brand new 4 Runner selling it now.

Steve
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 2:03:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a 2020.

15-16 mpg so far
Rides nice (Bilsteins)
Basic but functional interior

What else do you want to know?
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 4:24:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have a 2020.

15-16 mpg so far
Rides nice (Bilsteins)
Basic but functional interior

What else do you want to know?
View Quote

Fuel milage and ride were 2 questions. Basic interior is a plus for me. I'd buy another basic work truck if I could find one. I don't need all the techy stuff vehicles have now a days.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 4:26:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If you would take a non-4x4 you can still find them for sale new.

I have had two Tundras a 2005 Limited Double cab and a 2011 Rock Warrior Double cab. Both were great trucks. Only issue with either is that they are thirsty no matter how you drive them.
I have since replaced my 2011 Tundra with a 2021 4 Runner.
Towing causes the Tundra to be more thirsty. Loved both Tundras and really wished I had not gotten rid of the 2005 when I did, but I had a moment of stupidity when I replaced it with a BMW X3.
Resale on Toyota is excellent, so much so that I could make an easy $5-10k on my brand new 4 Runner selling it now.

Steve
View Quote

I don't necessarily need 4x4 right now, but it would be nice to have. Looking into the future I definitely want one. Might as well buy one now. I averaged between 13 and 15 city MPG with my old truck. What kind of milage are you getting?
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 6:02:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Fuel milage and ride were 2 questions. Basic interior is a plus for me. I'd buy another basic work truck if I could find one. I don't need all the techy stuff vehicles have now a days.
View Quote

I think even the base models have all the standard Toyota safety stuff now. But much less gadgetry than the big 3. Knobs for HVAC and volume like God intended.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 7:42:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think even the base models have all the standard Toyota safety stuff now. But much less gadgetry than the big 3. Knobs for HVAC and volume like God intended.
View Quote

I think the base Tradesman Rams still have knobs, but if you upgrade to chrome bumpers you get the touchscreen radio.  I really dislike the touchscreen in my personal Ram (not a knock on Ram, just touchscreens in general).
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 4:10:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I think the base Tradesman Rams still have knobs, but if you upgrade to chrome bumpers you get the touchscreen radio.  I really dislike the touchscreen in my personal Ram (not a knock on Ram, just touchscreens in general).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in a pretty basic Ram rental right now, It has a touchscreen. It is nice for navigation, but pretty useless otherwise IMO.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 8:00:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm in a pretty basic Ram rental right now, It has a touchscreen. It is nice for navigation, but pretty useless otherwise IMO.
View Quote

My work truck Ram is about as plain as it gets, although I think power windows, power locks, cruise and AC are pretty well standard now.  It has a "traditional" radio with knobs.  As God intended.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 9:11:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 12:35:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
People don't buy Toyota pickups for their gas mileage, or features, they buy them for their reliability and longevity.

I was towing a 5100lb Hybrid TT with my 2019 Tacoma, it did ok, not ideal.

A similar year Tundra would do better.

I would not be interested in the new 2022 Tundra with a turbo V6, at least not for a while.

I had a T100 with almost 400K miles on the orig engine/transmission before a woman ran a red light in front of my daughter
View Quote

There are a few "features" only available in a Toyota..... V8 with no cylinder deactivation being the big one. The Tundra also has a beefier rear end and brakes than the big 3.

I feel like mine is well optioned without junk I don't need. Bedliner, cargo/cover rails, decent tires, leather, radar cruise. Overall a pretty comfortable and useful vehicle.

Everyone talks about Toyotas being expensive, but mine was $45k msrp. I'm sure that's gone up now, but I'd bet the current Toyotas are still cheaper than a similar big 3 pickup. Of course, the 2022s pricing will be more in line with big 3 offerings.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 11:26:15 AM EDT
[#27]
I had a 2000, 2005, and 2008 Tundra.  The 05 and 08 were business leases.

The V8 is grossly over rated in performance and MPG.  I don't believe they have updated the V8 in terms of power/economy much at all since I had the 08.  

I test drove, granted a decade ago, the Taco and was unimpressed.

I recently test drove the new Ranger, and while the power was impressive, it rode like a log wagon.  I then drove the Canyon with the V6, which rode plush and handled well.  It had the V6 and had plenty of power.

I ultimately settled on a 2021 Silverado crew cab short bed RST with the 3.0L diesel.  I'm averaging 25 mpg, and it has basically the same power output as the GM gas hog 6.2L.

*edit*  If you are intent on a smaller chassis, I'd recommend the Canyon and the diesel.  The little 4 banger diesel doesn't have as good of a 1/4 mile time as the V6, but it sips fuel and has more torque for towing.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 1:23:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The V8 is grossly over rated in performance and MPG.  I don't believe they have updated the V8 in terms of power/economy much at all since I had the 08.  

I recently test drove the new Ranger, and while the power was impressive, it rode like a log wagon.  I then drove the Canyon with the V6, which rode plush and handled well.  It had the V6 and had plenty of power.

I ultimately settled on a 2021 Silverado crew cab short bed RST with the 3.0L diesel.  I'm averaging 25 mpg, and it has basically the same power output as the GM gas hog 6.2L.

*edit*  If you are intent on a smaller chassis, I'd recommend the Canyon and the diesel.  The little 4 banger diesel doesn't have as good of a 1/4 mile time as the V6, but it sips fuel and has more torque for towing.
View Quote

Depends what engine the 08 had. The small V8 is down 100hp or so compared to the 5.7, but it generally seen as even more reliable.

Have to spend a lot of money in the GM world to get away from the 8-speed, and lots of issues on the new ones with failing valve springs.

The 2.8L in the Canyon/Colorado is a great engine. I have my doubts about the 3.0L, though.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 7:13:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

I didn't want any turbo motor Ford offers. And they've basically priced me out of anything with a 5.0 right now(what I've seen available on lots anyways) I've never had good experiences with GM either.

I test drove both a Tacoma and Tundra and definitely liked both. The Tundra's do seem to be slightly sluggish, but nothing to keep me from buying one.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 7:22:27 PM EDT
[#30]
@bigbryce31186
A friend of mine has one with 170,000 miles or a bit more. He got it with about 160,000 miles and said it drives and runs like new. IIRC, the Tundras rate higher than the Tacoma.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 7:22:39 PM EDT
[#31]
I found a decent deal on a used Tundra I really like! The old lady talked me out of buying a new one . Attachment Attached File

Also, im pretty sure the previous owner took very good care of it and is one of us.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 8:04:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
@bigbryce31186
A friend of mine has one with 170,000 miles or a bit more. He got it with about 160,000 miles and said it drives and runs like new. IIRC, the Tundras rate higher than the Tacoma.
View Quote

Thanks. That makes me feel a lot better about the one I just got with 87,000 on it!
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 9:35:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I found a decent deal on a used Tundra I really like! The old lady talked me out of buying a new one . https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/439147/20211002_190335_jpg-2116927.JPG

Also, im pretty sure the previous owner took very good care of it and is one of us.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/439147/20211003_135349_jpg-2116928.JPG
View Quote

Congrats! Hope you enjoy it. Will be looking forward to your impressions after a week or so.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 10:59:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Congrats! Hope you enjoy it. Will be looking forward to your impressions after a week or so.
View Quote

I will definitely keep yall updated!
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 1:01:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Update! I'm really starting to like this truck a lot! It rides so much better than my Ford did. Has plenty of power, and I still haven't really floored ot yet. I got a tonneau cover ordered for it. I'm wanting to take as much Chrome off as I can. Debadge it, paint the bumpers and grille or replace the grille as well. Looking for new rims too. I updated the interior lights to LED. The OEM lights were very dull and you couldn't see anything at night. My girlfriend doesn't want me to get an exhaust, but I've already made an appointment .  Not making this a brodozer by any means, just adding things I want. Fuel milage is about the same as my Ford, 15ish so far.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 11:51:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Update! I'm really starting to like this truck a lot! It rides so much better than my Ford did. Has plenty of power, and I still haven't really floored ot yet. I got a tonneau cover ordered for it. I'm wanting to take as much Chrome off as I can. Debadge it, paint the bumpers and grille or replace the grille as well. Looking for new rims too. I updated the interior lights to LED. The OEM lights were very dull and you couldn't see anything at night. My girlfriend doesn't want me to get an exhaust, but I've already made an appointment .  Not making this a brodozer by any means, just adding things I want. Fuel milage is about the same as my Ford, 15ish so far.
View Quote

Do yourself a favor and buy a mandrel bent stainless exhaust.  Don't let a local shop bend one up and crush the shit out of the bends.  If you're doing it for performance, you're wasting your money.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 6:08:49 PM EDT
[#37]
As Brass told you.  Get a SS cat-back exhaust from a reputable mfg like Magnaflow.  Thank us later.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 8:13:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Do yourself a favor and buy a mandrel bent stainless exhaust.  Don't let a local shop bend one up and crush the shit out of the bends.  If you're doing it for performance, you're wasting your money.
View Quote

Quoted:
As Brass told you.  Get a SS cat-back exhaust from a reputable mfg like Magnaflow.  Thank us later.
View Quote

The shop in taking it to is VERY reputable and has been in business for over 25 years. They have a proper machine for bending the pipes.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 2:32:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The shop in taking it to is VERY reputable and has been in business for over 25 years. They have a proper machine for bending the pipes.
View Quote

Yeah, and that "proper machine" isn't a mandrel bender, and they will turn a 2.5" pipe to a 2" at the bend.

Best of luck.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 10:42:30 PM EDT
[#40]
I personally find the stock exhaust to be just right.

The TRD dual exhaust is apparently a bit louder and seems to be popular.

But these days about the only exhaust change I'm interested in is tucking the tailpipe so I don't smash it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top