Posted: 3/12/2021 12:35:04 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 6:12:38 AM EDT
[#1]
hope you like to paint...
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 7:25:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 8:15:31 AM EDT
[#3]
The stairs look a tad sketchy. Other than that I kinda dig it. It’d be $600k in the Keys. Lucky me huh ugh.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 9:26:13 AM EDT
[#4]
View Quote

stilt houses are cool, i grew up in one. just understand there is almost always a reason they are on stilts, the land will flood at some point. with a stilt house you can just about eliminate the chance of interior flood damage, mold, vermin, ect. you will feel hurricane force winds (you'll feel it in any house, but it will feel different in a stilt house, you're not going anywhere but you will not be able to convince you asshole to release the couch cushion in a big one. ) deck and stairs seem to require more maintenance then your buddies stairs.

you have the whole underside of the house as a covered porch / patio. the roof makes a great diving platform for for the pool (don't buy if you have teenage boys and a pool, it will happen) i loved ours.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 9:26:43 AM EDT
[#5]
With no attic and what appear to be exposed rafters inside so no insulation, I would venture to guess that you better have a damn good A/C unit as that shack is going to bake in the summer.  And the easy fix for the color is adding about 10 gallons of paint to your budget.  

Due to its proximity to the ocean I'd say a stilt house is a smart move as it certainly is in a flood zone.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 11:34:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't pay that for it just based on the unpaved roads being a turn off to most other buyers.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 9:28:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I've personally built three stilt houses. When I say built I mean I designed and got plans sealed by engineer. Pulled permits and dealt with zoning for variances. Then swung the hammer and hired plumbers, electricians and A.C. guy. But I pretty much did everything else.

If in flood zone your flood insurance will be about 300.00 a year and your homeowners insurance will be a lot less than those houses sitting on ground. I pay about 1200.00 a year.

Looking at house it's been there a while and from it's location has survived some pretty bad hurricanes. That's a plus on construction without looking at it.

I live in a stilt house right now. It cost me 125k to build and that includes land. BTW that was 25 years ago too. We just sold one of the others exact same floor plan. Same exact house for 325k, the other was 160k sold it for 280k

As far as insulation goes. There is insulation in ceiling. That's a finished ceiling in pic not the roof decking. Plus you must meet codes on residential homes and it must meet SEER guidelines for A.C. as far as insulation \Windows ect.....just meet building codes. Gotta be insulated some how. BTW half My house does not have an attic either, has a vaulted ceiling. But there's still insulation between ceiling and roof decking. R21 if I remember right.

My house is 25 years old. If your handy with paint and hammer you'll have no problems. If stairs are solid don't worry about them. Besides they look pretty cool.

The things I'd do if buying is a termite inspection. Plus look at roof or any signs of leakage. The deck is a give me here in Florida. I just replaced my deck and outside stairs that was exposed to the sun. The deck under cover looked new still. Oh yeah look closely at pilings also. I did concrete pilings.

I like the house though. A one plus one might hurt resell value in future though. But if it suited my needs I'd go for it as along as it's structurally sound.

Here's view out my sliders. Living elevated has it's advantages. Harder to climb in Windows lol and no peeping Tom's looking in either. I'd make an offer on it though. I'm sure they want to sell it. Plus with a 1+1 don't have to worry about people wanting to move in with you. LOL

Link Posted: 3/12/2021 11:25:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 3:17:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The stairs look a tad sketchy. Other than that I kinda dig it. It'd be $600k in the Keys. Lucky me huh ugh.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 3:18:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I wouldn't pay that for it just based on the unpaved roads being a turn off to most other buyers.
View Quote

have you been to MT lately?
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 3:18:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've personally built there still houses. When I say built I mean I designed got plans sealed by engineer. Pulled permits and dealt with zoning for variances. Then swing the hammer and hired plumbers, electricians and A.C. guy. But I pretty much did everything else.

If in flood zone your flood insurance will be about 300.00 a year and your homeowners insurance will be a lot less than those houses sitting on ground. I pay about 1200.00 a year.

Looking at house it's been there a while and from it's location has survived some pretty bad hurricanes. That's a plus on construction without looking at it.

I live in a stilt house right now. It cost me 125k to build and that includes land. We just sold one of the others exact same floor plan. Same exact house for 325k, the other was 160k sold it for 280k

As far as insulation goes. There is insulation in ceilings. That's a finished ceiling in pic not the roof decking. Plus you must meet meet codes on residential homes and it must meet SEER guidelines for A.C. as far as insulation \Windows ect.....just meet building codes. Gotta be insulated some how. BTW half My house does not have an attic either, has a vaulted ceiling. But there's still insulation between ceiling and roof decking. R21 if I remember right.

My house is 25 years old. If your handy with paint and hammer you'll have no problems. If stairs are solid don't worry about them. Besides they look pretty cool.

The things I'd do if buying is a termite inspection. Plus look at roof or any signs of leakage. The deck is a give me here in Florida. I just replaced my deck that was exposed to the sun. The deck under cover looked new still. Oh yeah look closely at pickings also. I did concrete pilings.

I like the house though. A one plus one might hurt resell value in future though. But if it suited my needs I'd go for it as along as it's structurally sound.

Here's view out my sliders. Living elevated has it's advantages. Harder to climb in Windows lol and no peeping Tim's looking in either. I'd make an offer on it though. I'm sure they want to sell it. Plus with a 1+1 don't have to worry about people wanting to move in with you. LOL

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/94613/20170131-125403-1-137366.jpg
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 10:36:02 AM EDT
[#12]
That is one ugly house!

$170K for that? WTF
Hard pass

Maybe if it was on a beach or in the water.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 7:15:52 AM EDT
[#13]
We're out in Ocala NF but it amazes me what $170K will buy in the Silver Springs Shores (Zip 34472) area. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/43-Hemlock-Trce-Ocala-FL-34472/45923913_zpid/ Asking $170, I wonder how much they will take?
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 11:52:19 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

Did you buy it? Its under contract now.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 7:04:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That is one ugly house!

$170K for that? WTF
Hard pass

Maybe if it was on a beach or in the water.
View Quote

holy shit, i saw the small boat and the surfboards in the pictures. i thought for sure it was on water. lol. i just looked at the map, yikes.

maybe the builder wanted an aerial veiw of i95 from his living room.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 9:54:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Just saw a house on the NEWS that had those exact same stairs. They were designed for tight spaces. Plus they were/are called witch's stairs. They are suppose to prevent witch's from climbing them lol.

Property is going up and getting tight in some areas. I see people every day driving up and down road looking for homes and property for sale.

It's a seller's market right now.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 7:47:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
sadly, no.

still looking in florida.

got an interview in tampa coming up.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 10:51:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
sadly, no.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

sadly, no.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/31/2021 6:36:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I thought this was going to be about Stiltsville in Miami.      

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f7/Stiltsville.jpg

View Quote

My uncle and his buddies built the house in the lower right corner.  Then the gobberment took it away.  I spent many days and nights there having a blast.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top