Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2022 10:04:32 PM EDT
I was reading the CWD response plan and they are going to require all deer killed to be tested and end being able to feed or bait deer among other things.

RALEIGH, N.C. (March 31, 2022) – Officials with the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission announced today that a sample collected from a hunter-harvested, white-tailed deer in Yadkin County has tested positive for Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD). This is the first case of CWD detected in North Carolina’s deer herd and was confirmed by the National Veterinary Services Laboratory in Ames, Iowa.

The deer was harvested in northern Yadkin County in December 2021.

https://www.ncwildlife.org/Connect-With-Us/wildlife-commission-announces-first-cwd-positive-deer-in-north-carolina

Link to response plan.
https://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0/Hunting/Documents/Deer/CWD-Response-Plan.pdf
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:47:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats sucks. That would get expensive to have all deer tested. No baiting would really suck. They did that in Michigan. For what I'm told by hunters there, it really does nothing because they all hang out in herds anyways.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 8:25:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Most of the northern states you can’t bait.. what people do is plant clover etc to attract deer
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 10:12:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, sugar beats, winter wheat and corn work well too.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 8:55:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I knew the day was coming but couldn’t be more disappointed… Will be interesting to see the state response, I hope we actually get ahead of it and control the spread. I bet there will be some resistance to any change in baiting rules - probably a good number of people who will continue to bait anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top