Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2020 11:28:20 PM EDT
Just looking for info on the area? Crime rate, work environment, etc? Found a few homes in that area. And love the look of the place. I need out of California after 30 years.  Kids are raised and on they're own now. Just me and wife and our animals.  From what I googled, it's very nice. And appeals to my midwest raised self. So give me the dirt??
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 7:39:49 AM EDT
[#1]
What do you want to do for entertainment and how far do you want to be from it?
How much property do you require?

Oh, and you must swear in blood to never vote like a typical Californian. If you cannot do this you may only live in Fayette and Jefferson counties.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 11:50:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Ha, I never was a Californian. I hate this state. But all the kids are grown and my home is sold. So we're outta this dump. Looking at 13 acres with a 2/1. I'll pay cash. And I like the outdroors fishing and camping,shooting.  And might get back into hunting.  Maybe a nice garden and some more goats. Got 2 already. Only requirement is work within a hour from home.  Im a mechanic, truck driver, and maintenance worker.  Aint scared to work..
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 1:25:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Morehead is perfect for you.

If its anything like the rest of rural KY, crime consists of theft of copper, building supplies and tools and drunk driving.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 7:49:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Ok, if not voting like a Californian...

Morehead has some decent fishing for bass, crappie, and musky in Cave Run. There is also a huge opportunity for hunting and general exploring on all the National Forest nearby.

I really have no idea about employers in your line of work but you should not have any real issues. From what I have seen, mechanics are in need everywhere.

Coming from Cali, property here will seem stupid cheap. Living in the Morehead area, I would probably think bigger than 10 acres.

Expect most crime to be burglary, trespassing, and drug related. Violent crime is not very prevalent in Rowan Co.

You might also want to look south around Somerset/Columbia and west around Paducah. Both can be very rural with lots of fishing and outdoors opportunities.

What are your thoughts on snow and cold? We have not had a lot of either the last few years but south central and western KY get a little less of both.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top