Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2023 9:41:22 PM EDT
I'm in TN right now, originally from MD. I'm very into outdoors and firearms, but unfortunately TN doesn't offer what I want and I don't fit in well in the south.

I'm looking into 3 (maybe 4) states right now. North Carolina (familiar state but most restrictive), Utah/Arizona (unrestrictive, tons of land to do whatever you want on, but very alien to me and very far away), and finally New Hampshire (perfect politics, familiar northern culture, but seems expensive).

New Hampshire really looks good to me politically, and I wouldn't feel alien as I'm from the north (relatively north at least). But I don't know how forgiving the state is for renters and young adults. Because the state is relatively densely populated, I am concerned if I'd be able to live near a city and at the same time be somewhat nearby land that I can go ruck/shoot/train/camp on.

I'm hoping some people here can give me insights onto the different parts of the state and if it's a good fit for me. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 8:11:49 PM EDT
[#1]
So the first guy that replied on NHGuns had a pretty good response.  His distances for shooting in the national forest were a bit out of wack, but you can find those on the national forest website to steer you straight.

So, young renter near ranges and also cities-I know nothing of the southern part of the state and will only comment on parts of the northern part.

City is pretty much only a southern NH thing-sure Berlin is a city, but I think it is only about 10K in population.

Lots of the central/northern parts of the state roll up the sidewalks at 9PM.

Hubs further north to look around would be Plymouth or Littleton.

Plymouth has Pemi nearby in Holderness, and Littleton has Alderbrook in town and Groveton F&G about a half hour north.  Most shooting is done at private clubs, on your own or friend's private property, or out in the woods(NH law is permissive for shooting).

No real night life so to speak, but Plymouth has a 4 year college + grad school.  Also access to Lakes Region tourist bars and concerts in Gilford.  Littleton just has the regional bars and some tourists-nearby towns pick up the winter tourists.

Big things are the cost to enter is high-rentals are close to unobtainian now.

Where are you planning on working?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top