Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2022 11:16:54 AM EDT
After literally YEARS of saving up money I finally have enough to own my piece of California and have decided to settle in Mariposa county. It's close enough to my job and land prices are reasonable enough. Plus the beauty of nature and even being able to pan for gold there makes it really appealing to me. Anyone here familiar with the area, what it's like living there and what should I watch out for? Would it be a good idea to buy land there, what should I expect in regards to the law, building permits, fire hazards and crime?

https://www.zillow.com/homes/Mariposa,-CA_rb/
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 1:34:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I have only visited the area and stayed in Mariposa one day, so no real help from me.  

We have looked at homes there for retirement because of access to the Sierras.

Are you thinking of buying or building on a lot?

Personally, I would be very concerned about wildfires.

Also, get a good handle on the cost of energy - home heating and gasoline for your commutes.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 2:04:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Fires and check insurance rates. These days insurance companies are looking closely at homes built in the fire zones. Also, the federal government is doing the same with disaster funds. Kinda like they no longer cover disaster flood loans in areas that flood along rivers back east.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 7:27:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Not real familiar.  Not sure how politics go.   I'd wonder about Yosemite traffic at least some but it's probably mostly on 41 to/from Wawona and through traffic on 140.  Perhaps annoying but likely puts tourist money in the tax coffers, too. I've always thought many of the Highway 49 communities looked like nice places.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top