Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2023 11:39:11 AM EDT
The wife saw a bookstore in Rhinelander she wants to check out.

I have time off between Christmas and New Years, so figured we'd take a midweek road trip (from Sparta).
Thought we'd get a picture at the Hodag.
Any restaurant, gun shop, other recommendations?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 5:33:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rfb45colt] [#1]
Gun shops - Hodag Gun & Loan (member here works there), Mel's Sporting Goods on Brown St downtown, L&M Fleet supply (similar to Fleet Farm, and they have lots of guns too). The Walmart here still sells long guns, and the Dunhams store has a big selection of handguns, rifles, shotguns. Hodag Gun, L&M, Walmart, and Dunhams are all at the same intersection on east Lincoln (Business Hwy 8). Mel's is downtown on S. Brown, and it's probably near the book store you're going to.  

There's several good restaurants downtown on Brown St (CTs Deli, Pat's Tavern, Rhinelander Cafe & Pub, Bucketheads Sports Bar & Grill), and The Friendship House is at that same intersection on east Lincoln where Hodag Gun, L&M, Dunhams etc are. There's also a Culvers on Hwy 8, on the far west side of town.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 2:17:13 PM EDT
[#2]
CTs deli is awesome.  

Great food, nice deli counter.

Pick up a ton of smoked salmon while you are there…
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 1:23:22 PM EDT
[#3]

I'm the guy rfb mentioned. I work weekends at Hodag Gun and Loan. We're one of the larger selections of new/used stuff north of Wausau.

If you're after new stuff, L&M across the street covers anything that we don't. Mel's is pretty good for finding mispriced stuff. It's harder for them to attract good counter-monkey's, since the owner Mitch is kinda a dick. They just got a collection in on consignment with a few gems in it.

If you like SIG, Walther, HK, etc, stop at Zinger's and Flinger's on the way. It's just west of Wausau on Highway 29, and is only a couple minutes out of the way. Great selection, and nice guys. I was in there last Tuesday, and almost walked out with a USP45C.

I'd second CT's for lunch. Not as nice as when Tom first opened, but it's still one of the better lunches around. Great bar, and a nice beer selection.

Otherwise, if you like Mexican, the Taqueria in Wausau is great. If you've ever been to the Taqueria Monarca in Onalaska, the menu and quality are similar.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 3:28:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the suggestions!

With all of those gun shops, her trip to the book store may cost us a bit more than a few books and lunch.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 8:58:40 PM EDT
[#5]
And Tom is a veteran at CTs so you can share war stories, he also has a veteran's discount.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 11:28:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Grab a case of mini Rhinelander beer bottles.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 1:47:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rattlehead34:
Grab a case of mini Rhinelander beer bottles.
View Quote

Too bad they aren't actually brewed in Rhinelander.  I bought some years ago and read on the label they're brewed in Monroe by Minhas... at least still brewed in Wisconsin.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 3:23:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dewingrm:

Too bad they aren't actually brewed in Rhinelander.  I bought some years ago and read on the label they're brewed in Monroe by Minhas... at least still brewed in Wisconsin.  
View Quote

Minhas has interesting history to say the least after looking it up.  The good ole days of picking up a box and driving to the UP at midnight in winter.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#9]
2510 in Wausau just off Hwy51 great food also.

Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:57:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I like to stop HERE when in that area.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top