Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2019 7:01:13 PM EDT
Some friends and I will be staying in Ormond beach April 7-12th

Any ideas for fun things to do or best places to eat? On somewhat of a budget? (Friends are frugal)

Will be traveling to Disney one of the days as well.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 1:18:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump for day crew?
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 9:30:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Falcon Heavey launch is supposed to be April 7th. Ormond is closer to KSC than Disney, go there instead.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 9:01:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Really nothing much to do in Ormond but it's the border town for Daytona. If you want a beach town restaurant/bar to check out, head North to Flagler and have a drink at High Tides Snack Jack. It's a nice drive up A1A. If you're looking for gun stuff, check out Florida Gun Exchange as they have a great showroom. Volusia Top Gun is nice also and has an indoor range. You'll probably still be in spring break season for some so if you want check out some solo cups on the beach, head down to Ocean Deck in Daytona for a drink. It will be in the heart of the mess. I hear the new Hard Rock Hotel is nice and has a great pool so you can check that out also. If you know how to drive a boat, you can rent on and take a nice cruise down the Halifax River and have lunch at a few restaurants. Tour the speedway if you're a NASCAR fan. Also by the Speedway, they've build a new area called Destination Daytona (I think) with a Bass Pro and some nice restaurants and shops.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 9:17:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Really nothing much to do in Ormond but it's the border town for Daytona. If you want a beach town restaurant/bar to check out, head North to Flagler and have a drink at High Tides Snack Jack. It's a nice drive up A1A. If you're looking for gun stuff, check out Florida Gun Exchange as they have a great showroom. Volusia Top Gun is nice also and has an indoor range. You'll probably still be in spring break season for some so if you want check out some solo cups on the beach, head down to Ocean Deck in Daytona for a drink. It will be in the heart of the mess. I hear the new Hard Rock Hotel is nice and has a great pool so you can check that out also. If you know how to drive a boat, you can rent on and take a nice cruise down the Halifax River and have lunch at a few restaurants. Tour the speedway if you're a NASCAR fan. Also by the Speedway, they've build a new area called Destination Daytona (I think) with a Bass Pro and some nice restaurants and shops.
View Quote
Agreed on eating at High Tides in Flagler. Just bring cash, unless they've changed the last time I was there they only took cash. Parking also can be a pain depending on how busy the place is.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 11:01:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I lived in Daytona for a year back in 1993 while going to school and there are a few neat places to go.

If you travel a little farther South of Daytona, there is the lighthouse/park in Ponce Park. I went there years ago and it was a really neat experience. It is a cheap thing to do for a couple hours and a part of history. The grounds are kept the way they were originally, for the most part, and it is amazing to see. You are able to climb the lighthouse,(be ready to feel the burn in your quads), but it is worth the climb. There was one older gentleman (upper 60's-lower 70's), that used to work/volunteer to keep the place running smooth who would climb the lighthouse three times a day for a work out. Just doing it once let you know how out of shape you are. I could not imagine being the lighthouse keeper of years past having to deal with it.

At night in Daytona, there is the boardwalk but I have not been there in over 10 years, so I am not sure what/how it is now.

Of course the beach, is the place to see/be. You used to be able to drive the entire beach but when I went back last you could only drive so far on it.  They also have a  nice pier to fish or just take a stroll on.

The raceway is an amazing thing to see. It is pretty wild at how steep of an angle the turns are. You used to be able to walk the track but I don't know how it is now.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 11:05:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Falcon Heavey launch is supposed to be April 7th. Ormond is closer to KSC than Disney, go there instead.
View Quote
I’ll look into that. Buddies wife wants to go to the Disney but we’d probably do that later in the week.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 11:07:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah, this is the kind of stuff I’m looking for. Sucks Ormond isn’t a very bustling place but it will be nice to be able to relax at times during spring break. (Not as young as I used to be)
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 11:07:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Agreed on eating at High Tides in Flagler. Just bring cash, unless they've changed the last time I was there they only took cash. Parking also can be a pain depending on how busy the place is.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe we can find an off time to eat, or is it that popular?
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 11:11:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I lived in Daytona for a year back in 1993 while going to school and there are a few neat places to go.

If you travel a little farther South of Daytona, there is the lighthouse/park in Ponce Park. I went there years ago and it was a really neat experience. It is a cheap thing to do for a couple hours and a part of history. The grounds are kept the way they were originally, for the most part, and it is amazing to see. You are able to climb the lighthouse,(be ready to feel the burn in your quads), but it is worth the climb. There was one older gentleman (upper 60's-lower 70's), that used to work/volunteer to keep the place running smooth who would climb the lighthouse three times a day for a work out. Just doing it once let you know how out of shape you are. I could not imagine being the lighthouse keeper of years past having to deal with it.

At night in Daytona, there is the boardwalk but I have not been there in over 10 years, so I am not sure what/how it is now.

Of course the beach, is the place to see/be. You used to be able to drive the entire beach but when I went back last you could only drive so far on it.  They also have a  nice pier to fish or just take a stroll on.

The raceway is an amazing thing to see. It is pretty wild at how steep of an angle the turns are. You used to be able to walk the track but I don't know how it is now.
View Quote
Park sounds interesting, not sure about the steps though.

Boardwalk sound like it would be really fun at night.

We’ll have a minivan so I don’t think we’ll be driving any beaches, unless we can drink in the back with the doors open!

Thanks for some great ideas
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:19:29 AM EDT
[#10]
If you like crab...the Charlie Horse in Ormond Beach is a popular spot.

https://charliehorserestaurant.com/
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:19:48 AM EDT
[#11]
JB's Fish Camp, while not in Ormond is worth the drive. Good food with fishing pole,  paddle board and kayak rentals. They even have a cook what you catch deal.

Link to JB's
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:30:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Go canoe juniper springs.
Or
Swim in silver glenn.

Both 4o minutes west of ormond down sr40.
Eat at essex or castaways.

Hit the tcao shack on a1a near the flager pier. 20-30 minutes north of ormond.

Lots of shit in that 30 min radious of ormond.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:27:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you like crab...the Charlie Horse in Ormond Beach is a popular spot.

https://charliehorserestaurant.com/
View Quote
I personally hate seafood but they may be up for it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:28:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
JB's Fish Camp, while not in Ormond is worth the drive. Good food with fishing pole,  paddle board and kayak rentals. They even have a cook what you catch deal.

Link to JB's
View Quote
Fishing would be fun but would need an out of state or daily license?
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:29:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Or
Swim in silver glenn.

View Quote
Wonder why nothing IN Ormond? Small town? Ghetto?
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 6:28:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes, nonresident needs a license to fish from shore and boat I believe.

Some off shore charters cover the licensing. I know Critter Fleet link does, but I haven't gone out with them in over 20yrs. I've never used Sea Spirit link but would guess the do also.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:32:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Or
Swim in silver glenn.

It's a small town.  Lot of houses, medical facilities, that's about it.  It's one exit on I-95, so not exactly a sprawling metro area.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 7:31:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Small town.
Demographics are:
Rich fuckwads : 30% northern ,10% local.
Death bed snowbirds- 30%
Locals- 20%
Unknown transit shit birds - 10%

Nothing much north of it besides bunnel.
South is ghettoe holyhill and daytona.

Greater Daytona area is mostly ghetto,  and service industries and tourism spots.
Port orange is little bit of all the above due to fast paced growth.
New syrmna is on tge same track. New growth mixed with ghettos, rednecks and snow birds. Thier beachside strip (flagler ave) area has been on constant remodel the past several years. No more "sleepy beach town " anymore.

Jbs in oakhill is a restuarant...more than a fish camp like it was many moons ago.
Its ok. Typical seafood ,bar grub place . Secrets out.... like any long term local joint.

The whole area is growing  fast.and not for the better. 10 years ago ...75% of what you see ....was just woods.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 9:21:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
You will be glad that you are staying in Ormond after you spend a day with all the kiddies in Daytona.  Ormond is a laid back mostly residential area with a few large condos but that's it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:09:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Some off shore charters cover the licensing. I know Critter Fleet link does, but I haven't gone out with them in over 20yrs. I've never used Sea Spirit link but would guess the do also.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does Florida do like a 36 or 72 hr license?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:09:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It's a small town.  Lot of houses, medical facilities, that's about it.  It's one exit on I-95, so not exactly a sprawling metro area.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Or
Swim in silver glenn.

Nice I like it quiet
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:11:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Small town.
Demographics are:
Death bed snowbirds- 30%
Locals- 20%

Greater Daytona area is mostly ghetto,  and service industries and tourism spots.
New syrmna is on tge same track. New growth mixed with ghettos, rednecks and snow birds. Thier beachside strip (flagler ave) area has been on constant remodel the past several years. No more "sleepy beach town " anymore.

Jbs in oakhill is a restuarant...more than a fish camp like it was many moons ago.
Its ok. Typical seafood ,bar grub place . Secrets out.... like any long term local joint.

The whole area is growing  fast.and not for the better. 10 years ago ...75% of what you see ....was just woods.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Small town.
Demographics are:
Death bed snowbirds- 30%
Locals- 20%

Sorry to hear that last line. Here used to be cornfields in all directions but 2. Now we have sec 8 and thousands of people flooding in. Some good some bad.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:13:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You will be glad that you are staying in Ormond after you spend a day with all the kiddies in Daytona.  Ormond is a laid back mostly residential area with a few large condos but that's it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s been kind of the big talk, “Daytona during spring break”!

But we’re getting older and probably won’t spend much if any time around there. The boardwalk at night sounds like it could be fun. As long as the ghetto goblins don’t come out at that time.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 9:11:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It's been kind of the big talk, "Daytona during spring break"!

But we're getting older and probably won't spend much if any time around there. The boardwalk at night sounds like it could be fun. As long as the ghetto goblins don't come out at that time.
View Quote
Spring break aint what it was...
Beach and the bar/clubs will be fuller but nothing like the 90s.

Its daytona....ghettoe goblins everywhere. If not its crackheads.
Heres a map to help you navigate dirtona
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 6:50:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/49816/20190321_091036_jpg-885094.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's been kind of the big talk, "Daytona during spring break"!

But we're getting older and probably won't spend much if any time around there. The boardwalk at night sounds like it could be fun. As long as the ghetto goblins don't come out at that time.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/49816/20190321_091036_jpg-885094.JPG
Well damn, stay North then huh. Unless we wanna try some crack?
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 9:59:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lol.
Itll be ok, on a1a. And right off the river.
Go off the main drags and youll either be in an industrial area or hood.
Theres nice areas...but its all mixed up.
Unlike say port orange, ormond etc.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 9:41:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Lol.
Itll be ok, on a1a. And right off the river.
Go off the main drags and youll either be in an industrial area or hood.
Theres nice areas...but its all mixed up.
Unlike say port orange, ormond etc.
View Quote
Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 8:38:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
I live in Daytona a few miles from Ormond, it's not hood until you get more east where Holly Hill is.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 9:38:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I live in Daytona a few miles from Ormond, it's not hood until you get more east where Holly Hill is.
View Quote
So isb to mason and everything from 92 /us1 to bellive isnt hood...lol.
Let alone anything from mason nova...to us1 back to 92.

Please tell me where it isnt hood in dirtona ...
Do you live out off lpga... or on the river or beachside off the river.
Not trying to be a dick...but daytona isnt exactly nice HOA subdivisions....
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 10:17:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Born, raised, lived and worked in Ormond for the past 30 years.  In general, it’s a good area.

After dark be sure to check out my favorite local watering hole, Babe’s Blue Room, for the coldest beer and best wings you’ve ever had.

If you like MILF’s and you’re here on a Thursday, check out Grind Gastropub after dark.

Plenty of good restaurants in and around the city. Too many to name just one or two.

The beaches in Ormond are full of babes in bikinis. The boardwalk in Daytona is a complete shit hole and giant tourist trap, but if you’ve never been I would recommend going once. If even just for a few minutes.

I recommend driving an hour north and spending a day in historic St. Augustine. You won’t be disappointed. Pay to park for the day and walk around. Lots of historic sites to see, along with great restaurants and other attractions to keep you busy all day long.

Themes parks are about 90 minutes to the west. Sounds like you’ve already got something in the works.

Whereabouts are you staying in Ormond?
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 6:16:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Born, raised, lived and worked in Ormond for the past 30 years.  In general, it’s a good area.

After dark be sure to check out my favorite local watering hole, Babe’s Blue Room, for the coldest beer and best wings you’ve ever had.

If you like MILF’s and you’re here on a Thursday, check out Grind Gastropub after dark.

Plenty of good restaurants in and around the city. Too many to name just one or two.

The beaches in Ormond are full of babes in bikinis. The boardwalk in Daytona is a complete shit hole and giant tourist trap, but if you’ve never been I would recommend going once. If even just for a few minutes.

I recommend driving an hour north and spending a day in historic St. Augustine. You won’t be disappointed. Pay to park for the day and walk around. Lots of historic sites to see, along with great restaurants and other attractions to keep you busy all day long.

Themes parks are about 90 minutes to the west. Sounds like you’ve already got something in the works.

Whereabouts are you staying in Ormond?
View Quote
Thanks! We have a Babes here too!

Not exactly sure where in Ormond. Buddies father in laws condo.
Can see the beach in photos though.

Eta: love milfs and bikinis! Lost the bod for bikinis though
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top