Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2018 12:30:27 PM EDT
We are renting a cabin in Pine next week.  What are some suggestions for areas to see and things to do?  We have checked out the natural bridge area before, but not much else.  Will have the wife, our two boys (5 and 9), my mother, and her Belgian Malinois.  Is there a place to shoot around there similar to the 4 peaks area where we usually go?  Anything else you guys would recommend?
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 7:42:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
We are renting a cabin in Pine next week.  What are some suggestions for areas to see and things to do?  We have checked out the natural bridge area before, but not much else.  Will have the wife, our two boys (5 and 9), my mother, and her Belgian Malinois.  Is there a place to shoot around there similar to the 4 peaks area where we usually go?  Anything else you guys would recommend?
View Quote
As for Pine itself:
Lots of shops and antiquing.  Ive scored some cool stuff at the thrift store there.  My wife loves fancy finds.
There is the lavender farm too!

Food:
Old County Inn - some of the best wood fired pizza in the state!!!
That Brewery - good beer and food
Pinewood Tavern - same owners as Old County Inn.  Food is phenomenal as well.  Drinks are excellent, and usually a few great beers on tap.
Pine Deli - Solid deli sandwiches.

Stuff to do:
Visit Strawberry Schoolhouse
Tonto Natural Bridge
Hiking!  Tons of hikes from long to small loops.

If you want to shoot, it is national forest all around so just use google maps to follow a dirt road and find a spot.  I doubt anyone is going to tell you of their spots near town though.
Also it looks like all the roads on top the rim are still open, so tons of shooting opportunities up there too... just double check before you go on the Nat Forest websites.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 8:43:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Another recommendation for "That Brewery". Excellent place for burgers and beers.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 2:19:32 AM EDT
[#3]
There is a shooting area just south of Pine

Google Map Link

Warning:  You will need a vehicle with some clearance but not 4wd - the road has gotten really bad.  I took my wife's Kia Cadenza sedan up there this spring and clobbered the bottom on it - ooops!

If you get the right side you can get about 100 yards.  I have also set up steel targets on the hillside to the east for 350 yards.

I think this is part of Tonto NF so tannerite is now illegal.

A great range is the Jim Jones range south of Payson, about 20 miles south of Pine.  Public hours on Saturday, but membership is only $50 a year and you can go out 300 yards on the private side.  Nice shade covers and usually very non busy.  I have never seen a FUDD there.  Last time there a guy came out with a 7.62 x 54R machine gun and a bunch of silenced ARs.

North of Pine about 40 miles there is some fantastic long range country if you have 4wd.

Also - Rim Road 300 is a must if you haven't been there yet.  Easily passable with passenger cars, it starts about 12 miles or so north on 87 and goes east along the top of the rim for 30 miles or so to the 260.  You can come back on the 260 to Payson and catch the 87 north to Pine again on the return.  EPIC views and lots of places to stop and sit on the edge with a lunch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top