Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2021 7:43:28 PM EDT
it's whistle pig time. Saw quite a few running around the last few days. Should be nice this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 5:21:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Assuming you are talking about in the desert south of Boise/Nampa?

I’m in Meridian.  Never spent anytime in this area going out to shoot whistle pigs.

Anyone have advice on general areas to go shoot them around Boise/Nampa area?  

I’ve gone shooting out past the prison a few times, but found it to be rather sketchy in terms of people shooting without good back stops.  Would like to avoid areas like that when setting up to shoot ground squirrels.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 6:48:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I was in the hills above Parma and Notus a few days ago.

Didn't see or hear anything yet.

I'm hoping that after the warmer temps hit Friday and Saturday.....they'll be out and about.

Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:52:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Assuming you are talking about in the desert south of Boise/Nampa?

...I've gone shooting out past the prison a few times, but found it to be rather sketchy in terms of people shooting without good back stops.  Would like to avoid areas like that when setting up to shoot ground squirrels.
View Quote

Agreed. I enjoy shooting south of the airport (tons of whistlepigs) but won't go on weekends anymore. Too many people, and you can't see anyone just one hill over. There kind of is no "safe direction" when you don't know where anyone is and no one knows where you are.

That said, it's where the piggies are, and it's fun to find a place to pull over and have at them during uncrowded times.

The only good thing about dollar 5.56 and 20 cent a round .22 LR will be that maybe the ranges won't be packed this summer.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 10:11:22 AM EDT
[#4]
The last few times I went out south of Kuna off Swan Falls Rd. even on a weekday, there was still a ton of people out there.  Some common sense on the shooters part was being applied, except for the two dumbasses who thought just pulling off the aforememtioned road about 15 or 20 feet and shooting from there was a good idea.  However, the kids out there mudding and riding dirtbikes concern me greatly.  They could be in your line of sight before you know it.  

Anymore I just like going to Black Creek Range.  If I want to shoot whistle pigs I think I'll go further out and make a day of it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 11:37:21 AM EDT
[#5]
In my area around Idaho Falls my old places are invaded by tons of new people and hardly any marmots around, and there is some dangerous shooting practices.
I have a few private property places but I have run into people there that just stopped and went shooting with no permission and once again shitty safety practices.
We had a guy killed a couple of years ago in one of my old shooting places.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 4:05:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 3/27/2021 6:53:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Solid day. Hopefully you left them on the bumper and went and had lunch in Hyde Park on the way home.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 11:22:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In my area around Idaho Falls my old places are invaded by tons of new people and hardly any marmots around, and there is some dangerous shooting practices.
I have a few private property places but I have run into people there that just stopped and went shooting with no permission and once again shitty safety practices.
We had a guy killed a couple of years ago in one of my old shooting places.
View Quote
If you're talking about the old NG range (west of town but before the cop range), that place has been dangerous for the last 10 years or so. Surprised it took that long, and there haven't been more tbh.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 12:44:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Solid day. Hopefully you left them on the bumper and went and had lunch in Hyde Park on the way home.
View Quote
I live close to where I hunt, which is far away from the liberal no go zone!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top