Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2021 8:32:11 PM EDT
Is that this is truly the final straw forcing me to do what I should have done years ago.  Move.

I always stuck it out, through.  High taxes, shitty gun laws, awful winters. Because this was my home and whole life is here.  

But fuck me the masks are literally the straw breaking the camels back.  I hate them so fucking much.  Wearing them myself and seeing them on people with no end in sight are truly taking a toll on my sanity.

I don't think that, even if the restrictions here were lifted tomorrow, that the stores, gyms, etc will ever lighten up.  They have no reason to.  

That said, I keep hearing about how other states are ignoring or ditching  masking.

I have been on every real estate site, aided by Google earth and city data forums.  But boots on the ground is the only way, imo.  So, a few weeks from now I am headed to TN to start my search.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:02:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck with your search. I have not regretted moving once. I'm still usually the only one in stores around the KC area who's not wearing one, but I have only been confronted twice (a gas station and Target). It's still awesome to leave NY but I still get the feeling that nowhere is truly free any longer.

My worst experience was in an ACE Hardware in NY.

Seriously, good luck with your search, the housing market is ridiculous at the moment. And I'm glad his majesty Andrew won't be getting any more of your tax dollars.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:45:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Hopefully you don't move only to find a national mask requirement imposed by Biden.
I think that you're right about the masks not going anywhere here in NYS
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:04:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:25:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I spent about four days in TN probably a decade ago.  3 in Nashville and 1 in Memphis.  Nashville felt very safe and had a good party atmosphere at night.  Memphis wasn't as inviting and certainly not as safe.  TN is warmer than I want but the laws are great.

I can't help but feel betrayed by NYS somehow.  Too many rules, regulations, fees and taxes.  I've always wanted to live more rural than I do now so I'll be making the leap out of NY.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:25:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I haven't been there in a decade but TN is okay. Even the big cities are very "small town"
in some ways and they do have crime problems in some areas. Pretty hot in the summer Economy seemed strong when I was there ages ago
View Quote

Except Memphis....phuck that place, I drop a gear and lay into it until well past the I-40 Bridge over the Mississippi.

Southeast TN is pretty nice, South of Nashville isn't that bad either... Personally I wouldn't live within 50 miles of any City.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:49:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:12:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
We never went to Memphis. The Nashville news was always covering violent crime in Memphis.
View Quote

I've been in my share of "get the shit kicked out of you" towns....pretty well avoid them now.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:14:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:51:01 PM EDT
[#9]
They won’t be going anywhere in NY. They are here to stay.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 6:47:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I think Memphis is more of a "get shot full of holes" town
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been in my share of "get the shit kicked out of you" towns....pretty well avoid them now.
I think Memphis is more of a "get shot full of holes" town

yes you don't go downtown after dark even on beale st..

The day is not so bad.. I spent a year and half flying to back and forth to  Memphis from NY for data center migration gig.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:07:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I have not been a fan of the masks and I went out and got myself a good quality mask that has replaceable KN95 filters and provides a good seal. But I have to say with all this mask wearing and social distancing, I have not had a head cold since January 2020. In fact, I have not had any upper respiratory infections since then. Unless they outright go back to outlawing face coverings at some future date, I may on a case-by-case basis keep wearing a face covering in certain situations. Not having a sore throat, stuffy nose and/or cough makes me happy.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:19:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Selling the house and heading to eastern Idaho this summer.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:46:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I have NOT worn a mask since day one... both my wife and son who are mask wearers got the covid.  down here there are signs everywhere about a mask is required... yet shoppers and employees are split about 50/50.  can't speak about the rest of the state, but around here 0% enforcement.  we never really "shut down"and the scenes of ghost town cities on the news were not here either.
oh by the way... I was told this when I moved here from Niagara county and told to pass this on... "SC is full, keep driving!"
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:44:15 AM EDT
[#14]
I have to be honest... The mask dosent bother me. I like the anonymity... Between the sun glasses, mask & hat there is no way your going to recognize me. I dont have to stop & bs w/ people, just keep moving along, going about my business.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:48:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have to be honest... The mask dosent bother me. I like the anonymity... Between the sun glasses, mask & hat there is no way your going to recognize me. I dont have to stop & bs w/ people, just keep moving along, going about my business.
View Quote

You're entitled to your opinion but I find them disgusting, dehumanizing and demoralizing.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:27:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

With the bitter cold I'm wearing face coverings in the winter anyways. It SUCKS when its August and 100 degrees and major humidity.
I can't wait for the mask mandate to expire
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 8:13:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

With the bitter cold I'm wearing face coverings in the winter anyways. It SUCKS when its August and 100 degrees and major humidity.
I can't wait for the mask mandateors to expire
View Quote
FIFY
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 9:22:40 AM EDT
[#18]
These threads are depressing.  Ten plus years till retirement, then I can start thinking about leaving.  Only thing that will make an exit possible before then is if FUAC succeeds at completely collapsing the prison system, then I may have no choice.  

As far as masks, I hate them, and I hate to admit it but I've gotten to the point of just putting the damn thing on to avoid confrontation.  That, and being threatened with firing for not wearing them around FUAC's precious voter base.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:02:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:  

As far as masks, I hate them, and I hate to admit it but I've gotten to the point of just putting the damn thing on to avoid confrontation.  
View Quote

Bro, I am saying this without hyperbole, but every time I strap one of these diapers to my face I feel like I lose a part of my soul.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:12:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Bro, I am saying this without hyperbole, but every time I strap one of these diapers to my face I feel like I lose a part of my soul.  
View Quote

Although I don't feel that kind of intensity, I do get what you're saying.  It's just not worth my job at this point in the game.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 9:55:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:15:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have not been a fan of the masks and I went out and got myself a good quality mask that has replaceable KN95 filters and provides a good seal. But I have to say with all this mask wearing and social distancing, I have not had a head cold since January 2020. In fact, I have not had any upper respiratory infections since then. Unless they outright go back to outlawing face coverings at some future date, I may on a case-by-case basis keep wearing a face covering in certain situations. Not having a sore throat, stuffy nose and/or cough makes me happy.
View Quote
The conditioning and normalization has worked.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 9:40:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The conditioning and normalization has worked.
View Quote

Didn't the FDA release and emergency guidance last summer basically saying that KN95 was not effective because it didn't form a tight seal but it was "better than nothing" so they authorized emergency use? Also OSHA has always held that the KN95 (Chinese design, go figure) was utterly useless?

to me its like saying "Level 2 armor wont stop 5.56 but its better than nothing." hopes and prayers lol

All that said I view the mask as a personal choice, and if makes you feel safe or if you have some anecdotal evidence to support why you wear it that's great. Just don't expect me to fall in-line behind something that has limited to no basis in fact.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:47:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

KN95 was not effective because it didn't form a tight seal but it was "better than nothing" so they authorized emergency use? Also OSHA has always held that the KN95 (Chinese design, go figure) was utterly useless?
View Quote

Yes the big problem with all these masks has been leakage. The KN95 filter itself provides 95% filtration but if it isn't fitted properly, then you are inhaling and exhaling through the sides of the mask, so what is the point? It is quite obvious if you are wearing glasses and they are constantly fogging up that you have leakage.

I was looking for a solution to the fogging glasses and stumbled across the "Kanshouzhe Mask". They were originally a 3D printing design but manufacturers started turning them out since most people do not have 3D printers. They have a silicone rubber seal around the face the stops the leakage and it stopped my fogging glasses problem. The KN95 pads are replaceable and it covers both inhaled air and the exhale valve so you do not run afoul of the rules prohibiting unfiltered exhale valves. I may have been "normalized" and turned into a mindless mask wearing drone but the fact that I have not had a head cold or any other upper respiratory infection since January 2020 is a plus in my book. I usually get two or three a year at a minimum.

Honestly I will be happy to see the mask mandate go away. In fact, this morning I discovered the 5 year old 12V battery in my car, had died. I yanked it out and quickly drove to the local Honda dealer to get a replacement (was actually cheaper than either AutoZone or Advance Auto). As I walked into the dealer, I realized I had forgotten to put a mask on and everyone else was wearing one. Quickly had to run back to the car and fashion one out of a scarf as I had not brought one with me (too flustered over the battery fiasco). I will be glad when I am no longer required to do that. I may still wear one in the winters going forward of my own volition but that will be my choice. As I said, I like not getting sick.

The Kanshouzhe Mask design:

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:14:01 PM EDT
[#25]
I've been looking at TN for a while now. I've narrowed it down to crossville, cookville, hendersonville, lafollette, but still looking at other areas.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 8:24:15 PM EDT
[#26]
GTFO if you can!
I was hoping to retire then escape from NY.  I am more interested in escaping even if I can not afford it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 8:17:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I haven't been there in a decade but TN is okay. Even the big cities are very "small town"
in some ways and they do have crime problems in some areas. Pretty hot in the summer Economy seemed strong when I was there ages ago
View Quote
Eastern TN is where I'd like to end up.  Gotta convince Wodstock that she wants to move, too.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 8:21:11 PM EDT
[#28]
30% off Coupon:  CUOMOISAPERVERT

Coupon is just today.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top