Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2022 10:44:39 AM EDT
Just announced this morning.

The Ranch Run and Gun May 21-22 2022

Waiting to hear back from the secretary (wife) to make sure I don't have a previous obligation. Hopefully will be seeing some of you guys at the Series and Rival event.

Here's a video of December's match at The Ranch to give you an idea of what the place has to offer. (Not my video)

2021 Old Eighteen Defense The Ranch

(I guess I need to start putting a disclaimer that I don't work for these people... just really enjoy their matches.)
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 1:54:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Got the email this morning, more than likely going.  I have two multi day training courses in March, the Ferrell Rn N Gun in March and then another multi day training course in May/June.  What's another?
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 2:20:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool video!  Shoot house, that's pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 4:16:41 PM EDT
[#3]
It was!
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:02:28 PM EDT
[#4]
For those that have gone before I is the Rivals just less shooting or less shoot and less running?
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:39:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For those that have gone before I is the Rivals just less shooting or less shoot and less running?
View Quote

It is usually less of both. For example, the Series event this saturday has a round count of 50/50 for rifle/pistol, if you don't miss anything, on 7 stages over 6.3 miles. The Rival event on sunday has a round count of 40/40 on 5 stages over 3.5 miles.

Link Posted: 1/15/2022 7:04:36 AM EDT
[#6]
More info?
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 9:30:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I ran it the first time, what more do you want to know?  I'm sure the shoot house will still be a stage but I'm assuming all the other stages will be different.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 3:01:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm signing up. Any idea how far out the targets are. I only own a SBR with an aimpoint, and one pistol.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 4:19:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm signing up. Any idea how far out the targets are. I only own a SBR with an aimpoint, and one pistol.
View Quote

It changes, but I did the one out in Bandera last year and it was 50-500(it was a large target) yards for rifles. This one obviously has a shoot house so it will have closer shots.

You'll be able to run it with what you've got, but magnification definitely helps on farther shots. Most of the guys there had either LPVOs or Acogs.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 4:22:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I think 300 is the farthest shot they're able to squeeze out of The Ranch for this format due to the layout of the property and supporting the running course and other shooting stations.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 9:32:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Buy a 3x magnifier and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 10:51:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd love to make this.  Are you guys just running a battle belt?
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 1:03:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'd love to make this.  Are you guys just running a battle belt?
View Quote

That's all I use.

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 7:48:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That's all I use.

View Quote

Thanks!

I just signed up for the Rivals Block 2 on Sunday.

Would you mind sharing what you have on your belt?  I need to start buying stuff.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 9:27:00 AM EDT
[#15]
I ran my battle gear to test it all out.  Battle belt set up typically, two pistol tacos, one/two rifle tacos, IFAK, TQ's, retention holster.  Then I ran the Haley D3CR Micro chest rig with a Source bladder.  Look at the anticipated load counts and figure out how many rounds you want to bring.  Think about footwear, think about inclement weather.  I watched a bunch of youtube vids and looked at peoples setups.  I didn't run into any issues with my setup and wouldn't change anything (yet).

Make sure to checkout https://www.oedefense.com/competitorinfo
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:04:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Would yall recommend this for a first timer? Seen videos online, especially of Ian at Desert Brutality. Figured it would be fun to try.

Also, what's the minimum round count for this?

Open to other match events to build up to. Especially if they're located in central Texas or DFW.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:12:33 AM EDT
[#17]
I would recommend it 100%.  You can approach it from a "match" standpoint, or you can test gear.  I chose to have fun and test gear.  This was my first one, I'm late 40's and placed top 20 overall, almost top 10 overall in shooting and had two top 10 shooting stages out of the five stages total.  I do run/walk the 5k track near my house 3x a week so the distance wasn't a surprise.  Get out there and do it!

EDIT: I believe we had a field of 63 on Sunday.  All three of my buddies only finished one stage each.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:08:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Seems like it would be more fun than any range day in the Army. Even the new rifle qual isn't all that exciting.

Be a good test of skills too. Just have to figure out which rifle I'd want to bring. Either my BRN-180, WWSD lightweight AR15 build, or a WASR 10/63.

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:46:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I was testing my shtf gear, down to the ammo.  I run a 14.5 w/Acog & RMR on top.  Pistol is M17 w/RMR.  Ammo was M193 and ball for the pistol.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:49:18 PM EDT
[#20]
My setup is similar to JASIRR. I find each match I need less ammo. Generally the round counts for the Rivals runs are 40/40. I carried 2x-3x when I started and still do because of paranoia.

I also like to stage a full magazine in my go to pouch and gun at the beginning of each stage to try and eliminate reloads. The reality is that I could run each one dry and not suffer too terribly bad and probably need fewer magazines.

These events are awesome. I'm signed up but I'm afraid to talk about because I had to drop the last event I was signed up for due to illness.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 1:48:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I ran my battle gear to test it all out.  Battle belt set up typically, two pistol tacos, one/two rifle tacos, IFAK, TQ's, retention holster.  Then I ran the Haley D3CR Micro chest rig with a Source bladder.  Look at the anticipated load counts and figure out how many rounds you want to bring.  Think about footwear, think about inclement weather.  I watched a bunch of youtube vids and looked at peoples setups.  I didn't run into any issues with my setup and wouldn't change anything (yet).

Make sure to checkout https://www.oedefense.com/competitorinfo
View Quote

Hey, thank you for the excellent advice!  I've been wanting a chest rig but that Haley looks a wee bit pricey for me.  I'll have to keep my eyes out for something else I can use with a hydration bladder.

Thank you again!
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 4:09:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Thanks!

I just signed up for the Rivals Block 2 on Sunday.

Would you mind sharing what you have on your belt?  I need to start buying stuff.
View Quote

@GhostFish

I run a Blue Alpha Gear Belt with 3 taco pistol/rifle mag pouches, a High Ground Gear pouch for 40mm grenades, dump pouch, a High Ground Gear admin pouch for an extra rifle and 2 extra pistol mags and a Dara Duty Holster for a lightbearing G34.

Sling wise, because of the weight of my rifle, is a TAB Gear Biathlon type sling.

I started out wearing a Haley D3 chest rig and the belt. Now I'm trying to get as light and fast as possible to make up for my mediocre shooting.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 4:14:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I mentioned it earlier but wanted to touch on the holster with retention again.  A guy up ahead of us had his rifle sling catch under the grip on his pistol and pulled it out of his friction holster, giving him a DQ.  This was on the stage where we had to flip the tractor tire a couple of times.  I run a Safariland but get a good retention holster.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 4:27:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Yeah. Gonna double tap the retention holster thing. Spend the money you need. I face planted on a stage at RWR Rival. Maintained control and muzzle discipline with the rifle and my face ate shit. Broke my glasses, but my pistol stayed in the holster. Otherwise, I would have eaten a DQ as well. Highly encourage at least a level II retention holster.

Some poor fella fell down the hill coming out of the ranch house at RWR on Saturday. He had a lvl II holster as well.

Save the level I holsters for USPSA and 3-gun.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 11:36:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

@GhostFish

I run a Blue Alpha Gear Belt with 3 taco pistol/rifle mag pouches, a High Ground Gear pouch for 40mm grenades, dump pouch, a High Ground Gear admin pouch for an extra rifle and 2 extra pistol mags and a Dara Duty Holster for a lightbearing G34.

Sling wise, because of the weight of my rifle, is a TAB Gear Biathlon type sling.

I started out wearing a Haley D3 chest rig and the belt. Now I'm trying to get as light and fast as possible to make up for my mediocre shooting.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/310196/20220128_140919-2257741.jpg
View Quote

@joshdb50

That's awesome!  I really appreciate you sharing your rig.  I still need to find a proper retention holster for my 34 as that is what I was planning on running.  Is your BAG belt molle?  If not what method are you attaching your pouches?

Thank you so much!
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 11:38:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I mentioned it earlier but wanted to touch on the holster with retention again.  A guy up ahead of us had his rifle sling catch under the grip on his pistol and pulled it out of his friction holster, giving him a DQ.  This was on the stage where we had to flip the tractor tire a couple of times.  I run a Safariland but get a good retention holster.
View Quote

Thank you for emphasizing this!  I'm on the lookout for the right retention holster for my G34.  Safariland's website sucks!
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 11:39:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yeah. Gonna double tap the retention holster thing. Spend the money you need. I face planted on a stage at RWR Rival. Maintained control and muzzle discipline with the rifle and my face ate shit. Broke my glasses, but my pistol stayed in the holster. Otherwise, I would have eaten a DQ as well. Highly encourage at least a level II retention holster.

Some poor fella fell down the hill coming out of the ranch house at RWR on Saturday. He had a lvl II holster as well.

Save the level I holsters for USPSA and 3-gun.
View Quote

I agree.  That would be my luck as well with a DQ.  I'm researching!  Thank you!
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 3:31:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

@joshdb50

That's awesome!  I really appreciate you sharing your rig.  I still need to find a proper retention holster for my 34 as that is what I was planning on running.  Is your BAG belt molle?  If not what method are you attaching your pouches?

Thank you so much!
View Quote

Yes, it's molle.

As far as the holster, Safariland makes one of the most widely used retention holsters you'll see and they have a model for the G34.

Safariland Holster Finder- input gun/optic/carry method etc

I've been very happy with my Dara Holsters duty holster. There is a bit of room in the holster where it moves. So when I run it does make noise, but my days of being concerned with noise discipline are, hopefully, long past.

They have new iterations of what I have, but I'm not sure if that's an issue that has since been rectified with them. Full disclosure, I've been very happy with it, but will eventually move over to a Safariland probably within the year.

Dara Duty Lvl II holsters
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 11:17:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yes, it's molle.

As far as the holster, Safariland makes one of the most widely used retention holsters you'll see and they have a model for the G34.

Safariland Holster Finder- input gun/optic/carry method etc

I've been very happy with my Dara Holsters duty holster. There is a bit of room in the holster where it moves. So when I run it does make noise, but my days of being concerned with noise discipline are, hopefully, long past.

They have new iterations of what I have, but I'm not sure if that's an issue that has since been rectified with them. Full disclosure, I've been very happy with it, but will eventually move over to a Safariland probably within the year.

Dara Duty Lvl II holsters
View Quote

Thank you for the info and I appreciate the heads up about Dara.  I'm eyeballing Safarilands but can't decide if I want to get a Surefire 300 before ordering.  I don't want to buy a non light holster and then have to buy another.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 11:19:44 PM EDT
[#30]
How do you guys practice running with your rifle?  I live in a suburb and am worried about having a twitchy homeowner think I'm a threat.

Do you just use weighted wristbands to try and simulate weight?
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 1:50:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
How do you guys practice running with your rifle?  I live in a suburb and am worried about having a twitchy homeowner think I'm a threat.

View Quote

I wouldn't get that far into the weeds of it.

If you're really in need of that experience I would encourage you to order a bluegun or find somewhere that such a thing would be more permissible.

Or chalk your first couple of matches up to figuring that shit out. It's not worth the potential negative outcomes of running in a suburban neighborhood with a rifle on.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 2:26:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Looks really cool, not sure it's something i can commit to, but i want to do one of these things and meet people. This looks really fun and definitely and thing to do to enjoy have done.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 8:28:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I wouldn't get that far into the weeds of it.

If you're really in need of that experience I would encourage you to order a bluegun or find somewhere that such a thing would be more permissible.

Or chalk your first couple of matches up to figuring that shit out. It's not worth the potential negative outcomes of running in a suburban neighborhood with a rifle on.
View Quote

You're absolutely right.  I was just curious and overthinking.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 9:17:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've just run one so far.  I do walk/jog/run the 5k track (includes hills) near my house 3x a week and I did that for about 3 months before the RNG.  I wear a backpack with about 20 pounds in it.  I walk/jog the course, so I have a good two point sling but I carried my rifle in front, in my hands.  Someone that has done a bunch of RNG's and actually runs the course, like joshdb50, may use a different type setup like the biathlon sling.  I know your question was more about how/where to run but slings are important.

Also, I learned that the best prep for a RNG...   is a RNG.  We used to run around the bay lifting kettle bells, squats, etc. and it kind of helps but you can't easily replicate and practice the problems the RNG exposes, without doing more RNG's.  It's a blast, get out there and do it.  You'll learn a ton about yourself and your gear.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 9:33:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I've just run one so far.  I do walk/jog/run the 5k track (includes hills) near my house 3x a week and I did that for about 3 months before the RNG.  I wear a backpack with about 20 pounds in it.  I walk/jog the course, so I have a good two point sling but I carried my rifle in front, in my hands.  Someone that has done a bunch of RNG's and actually runs the course, like joshdb50, may use a different type setup like the biathlon sling.  I know your question was more about how/where to run but slings are important.

Also, I learned that the best prep for a RNG...   is a RNG.  We used to run around the bay lifting kettle bells, squats, etc. and it kind of helps but you can't easily replicate and practice the problems the RNG exposes, without doing more RNG's.  It's a blast, get out there and do it.  You'll learn a ton about yourself and your gear.
View Quote

That makes a lot of sense!  I already ruck so the backpack is good to go.  Thanks for the tips!
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 3:49:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Signed up for Saturday afternoon, 2-4pm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top