BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 4:01:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:  two wrongs do not make a right.  Just because the other side does something, does not mean that we should respond in kind.  Embracing corruption does nothing good.

Don't make me break out the Yoda quotes.
View Quote
I just now see in the other currently running post that Bonnen will probably be out, so that may be a self correcting problem for the long haul.  Still needs to be looked into for any house regs or illegal conduct.

Dave, Yoda was a fictional character, so...

LOL!...but seriously, I get where you're coming from.  However, and it pains me to even think it, much less suggest it...playing by the rules seems to be a losing proposition.  If said rules were always applied evenly and fairly, we'd be in good shape.  But man, the last 10-12 years seem to have removed all respect for adherence to those rules and the righteous punishment that should come when they're violated.

I know all politicians and bureaucrats have shown the tendency to push their own agendas in spite of those rules and laws, but one has to honestly admit that the left is writing a whole new play book.  I'm sure there were "rules" when the colonists dumped the tea into Boston harbor, but for some reason they ignored them.  Yes, I know...very edgy of me to make such a historical comparison, but I think Yoda would approve.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 4:20:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Saw on the news this morning that he will not be running again
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 4:46:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Austin - Texas GOP House Speaker Dennis Bonnen says he will not run for re-election, making the announcement less than a week after the release of a secretly recorded conversation in which Bonnen sought help ousting members of his own party in 2020 and called a female lawmaker "vile."

Bonnen says in a statement Tuesday "it is clear that I can no longer seek re-election" as either a state representative or house speaker.

The Texas Republican Caucus had condemned Bonnen's remarks.

The recorded conversation is at the center of an ongoing state police investigation into whether Bonnen improperly offered House media credentials in exchange for campaign help. It's also thrown Republicans into disarray at a time when their state dominance is slipping.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 5:57:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
DT, and others, could you expound a bit on this issue as it applies to conservatism and Bonnen?  OK...Empower Texans is an alleged conservative group.  Bonnen was conspiring with them to target a few Republican reps for primaries who "supposedly" aren't conservative enough.  Now...on its face that sounds more positive than negative.

However, I'm sure there's more to the story, but after reading a good deal about Empower Texans and other articles on this whole scenario, some things aren't clear to me.

I'm not crystal clear on why Sullivan "gave up" the details of the meeting and recorded it unless those who were targeted by Bonnen were unfairly targeted...that is they are conservatives but Bonnen has another personal agenda.

And what is the problem with Empower Texans that some mention?  Even reading some of the opinions from liberal sources, all I could find was that they didn't like the way they funneled money into conservative causes and candidates through campaign finance loopholes and such.  Boo hoo...the same thing that the left does and does it on a bigger scale.

My post is not a defense for Bonnen or Empower Texans by any means.  I'd just like some perspective from other Texans on this "targeting" issue with Bonnen and about Empower Texans specifically.

Stan Lambert is my rep for my area, and I'm wanting to get a better idea of why he's on that list along with other reps.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
While IMO Michael Quinn Sullivan and Empower Texas are shitbags, the recordings of his conversation with Bonnen may lead to criminal proceedings.
Bonnen offering media credentials (for Empower Texas) in exchange for any service, support or action against Bonnen rivals isn't exactly legal.

It will be interesting to see where the Gov/LtGov/AG and law enforcement stand on this.

Pretending nothing happened, so nothing is done (the usual stance by either party).
Bonnen keeps his seat, keeps his Speakership, apologizes or gets an admonishment at best.
Bonnen keeps his seat, resigns as Speaker.
Bonnen keeps his seat, is not reelected Speaker.
Bonnen resigns his seat to spend more time with family.
Bonnen is indicted for influence peddling.

Frankly, Bonnen doesn't bother me as much as the Republican legislators who support him. Bonnen wouldn't be Speaker of the House without them. As Speaker, Bonnen is beholden to the other members of the state House, not to you or me.
Sending emails/calling/writing letters to Bonnen? Waste of time.
Sending emails/calling/writing letters to YOUR state rep?......not a waste of time.
DT, and others, could you expound a bit on this issue as it applies to conservatism and Bonnen?  OK...Empower Texans is an alleged conservative group.  Bonnen was conspiring with them to target a few Republican reps for primaries who "supposedly" aren't conservative enough.  Now...on its face that sounds more positive than negative.

However, I'm sure there's more to the story, but after reading a good deal about Empower Texans and other articles on this whole scenario, some things aren't clear to me.

I'm not crystal clear on why Sullivan "gave up" the details of the meeting and recorded it unless those who were targeted by Bonnen were unfairly targeted...that is they are conservatives but Bonnen has another personal agenda.

And what is the problem with Empower Texans that some mention?  Even reading some of the opinions from liberal sources, all I could find was that they didn't like the way they funneled money into conservative causes and candidates through campaign finance loopholes and such.  Boo hoo...the same thing that the left does and does it on a bigger scale.

My post is not a defense for Bonnen or Empower Texans by any means.  I'd just like some perspective from other Texans on this "targeting" issue with Bonnen and about Empower Texans specifically.

Stan Lambert is my rep for my area, and I'm wanting to get a better idea of why he's on that list along with other reps.
Empower Texans doesn't give a shit about Second Amendment rights, they are focused on fiscal responsibility.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 6:03:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Technically its not, but do you think they will actually send the turd to jail? He's protected politician class.

The reality, while he won't be back to the Statehouse, the shitbag is set for life, and will parlay his time in to a cushy consulting/influence job...

FDB
View Quote
Bonnen is Chairman/CEO of a bank. Politics is his hobby and a "cushy consulting" job would be a step down.....and who do you think wants to hire him to consult? His Boneheadness isn't exactly someone who's advice a politician wants to follow.

"Parlay his time"? Bonnen likely won't find anyone in either party willing to buy him a latte anytime soon.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 7:34:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
However, and it pains me to even think it, much less suggest it...playing by the rules seems to be a losing proposition.  If said rules were always applied evenly and fairly, we'd be in good shape.  But man, the last 10-12 years seem to have removed all respect for adherence to those rules and the righteous punishment that should come when they're violated.

I know all politicians and bureaucrats have shown the tendency to push their own agendas in spite of those rules and laws, but one has to honestly admit that the left is writing a whole new play book.  I'm sure there were "rules" when the colonists dumped the tea into Boston harbor, but for some reason they ignored them.  Yes, I know...very edgy of me to make such a historical comparison, but I think Yoda would approve.
View Quote
I'm not talking about "playing by the rules."  I'm talking about doing what's right.

Funneling money through loopholes?  That's not righteous rebellion.  That's dirty, corrupt, shady shit.  The exact opposite of doing what's right.

"Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will."

Don't be consumed.  Don't even think that our side should embrace corrupt practices like the other side does.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 5:40:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Just heard, Bonnen will not be facing any criminal charges
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 9:12:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 9:44:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Like I said, protected...they may force him out, but they circle the wagons to make sure he's not prosecuted...

Bonnen is pure scum. He needs to get cancer that kills him slowly and painfully...fuck that guy.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 9:56:01 AM EDT
[#10]
to be honest I was pretty surprised he threw in the towel.

I fully expected him to ride this one out and let it die down and back to business as usual.

Small win for the good guys.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 10:04:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm not talking about "playing by the rules."  I'm talking about doing what's right.

Funneling money through loopholes?  That's not righteous rebellion.  That's dirty, corrupt, shady shit.  The exact opposite of doing what's right.

"Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will."

Don't be consumed.  Don't even think that our side should embrace corrupt practices like the other side does.
View Quote
Been thinking more about this.  On the "corrupt practices", if they (Empower Texans) were so corrupt why isn't there any substantive, formal action or prosecution?  If Empower Texans was violating real campaign and donation laws, I can't believe some rabid democrats in the state wouldn't have filed some kind of charges against the organization that would hold water.

While they don't seem to be involved in gun rights advocacy, they appear to be a very strong, conservative group for fiscal responsibility.  The Houston Chronicle seems quite unhappy with them in their articles about Sullivan and the organization, but isn't that actually more of a positive endorsement from "our" perspective?

Dave, I agree that we may not have achieved the "go dark" stage yet, but the way the left if pursuing its agenda and the tactics they are using may require the tea being thrown into the harbor sooner than later.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 10:21:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Like I said, protected...they may force him out, but they circle the wagons to make sure he's not prosecuted...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Who do you think "they" is?

Bonnen is pure scum. He needs to get cancer that kills him slowly and painfully...fuck that guy.  
1. He is scum, but elected by his constituents.
2. No one needs to get cancer. What you wrote makes you look like pure scum and more than a bit unhinged.
3. He fucked himself.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 10:30:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Been thinking more about this.  On the "corrupt practices", if they (Empower Texans) were so corrupt why isn't there any substantive, formal action or prosecution?  If Empower Texans was violating real campaign and donation laws, I can't believe some rabid democrats in the state wouldn't have filed some kind of charges against the organization that would hold water.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's why the Democrats want the full tape released. They would love to see every Republican in Texas circle the drain. They will continue to pursue this scandal as its great ammunition to use against the other party.

While they don't seem to be involved in gun rights advocacy, they appear to be a very strong, conservative group for fiscal responsibility.  The Houston Chronicle seems quite unhappy with them in their articles about Sullivan and the organization, but isn't that actually more of a positive endorsement from "our" perspective?
Often the messenger is the problem, not the message. In the case of Empower Texans, the message of fiscal responsibilty is clouded by the bullying tactics of Michael Quinn Sullivan. Now he's resorted to blackmail to get rid of political opponents. Or at least we know of a couple.

Which brings up what we don't know.....what other state legislators has he bribed or coerced to get his way? Corrupt is corrupt, doesn't matter if Dem or Republican.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 10:56:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Been thinking more about this.  On the "corrupt practices", if they (Empower Texans) were so corrupt why isn't there any substantive, formal action or prosecution?  If Empower Texans was violating real campaign and donation laws, I can't believe some rabid democrats in the state wouldn't have filed some kind of charges against the organization that would hold water... Dave, I agree that we may not have achieved the "go dark" stage yet, but the way the left if pursuing its agenda and the tactics they are using may require the tea being thrown into the harbor sooner than later.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Been thinking more about this.  On the "corrupt practices", if they (Empower Texans) were so corrupt why isn't there any substantive, formal action or prosecution?  If Empower Texans was violating real campaign and donation laws, I can't believe some rabid democrats in the state wouldn't have filed some kind of charges against the organization that would hold water... Dave, I agree that we may not have achieved the "go dark" stage yet, but the way the left if pursuing its agenda and the tactics they are using may require the tea being thrown into the harbor sooner than later.
Agreed.  I was working on the assumption that the things I'm hearing about Empower Texans is true.  I won't support an organization that is corrupt, even if it's supporting my own interests.  It's my opinion that nobody should.  If you do, you're part of the problem.

Quoted:

2. No one needs to get cancer. What you wrote makes you look like pure scum and more than a bit unhinged.
3. He fucked himself.
100% agree with all of this.

Quoted:

Often the messenger is the problem, not the message. In the case of Empower Texans, the message of fiscal responsibilty is clouded by the bullying tactics of Michael Quinn Sullivan. Now he's resorted to blackmail to get rid of political opponents. Or at least we know of a couple.

Which brings up what we don't know.....what other state legislators has he bribed or coerced to get his way? Corrupt is corrupt, doesn't matter if Dem or Republican.
Yep, this goes back to my first point here.  Don't support corruption, even if it helps you.  That's the opposite of integrity.

The ends does NOT justify the means.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 11:53:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The political class, because generally they are all the same pieces of crap who while they may act like they are different, in the end band together to protect each other. The Deep State.

3. He fucked himself.
View Quote
The rest, lol, coming from you, it means....nothing.

I can recognize my enemies. I have no good thoughts about my enemies, and wish bad things upon them. He needs cancer, and fuck Dennis Bonnen.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 2:11:50 PM EDT
[#16]
DogtownTom, on the blackmail issue, is it blackmail if it's true and one releases the info to others where it gets the light of day?...kind of like an actual whistleblower with actual info on a rep (Bonnen) who was trying to make underhanded deals?  And the issue of Sullivan taping the exchange...well...if you go into the snake's den it may actually be wise to protect yourself.  And if the snake makes statements that are illegal or at least highly inappropriate, then the results are what they are.

I admit I'm not fully up to speed on all the nuances around Empower Texans or Sullivan, but I like more of what I see than not.  I also tend to think that leaders of organizations like this probably need to have some "salt" in their spine when you consider how the left will go after them ruthlessly.  I'm not suggesting they commit crimes for even a "good cause"...at this point...but limp-wristed, do-gooders probably need not apply.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 2:56:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I can recognize my enemies. I have no good thoughts about my enemies, and wish bad things upon them. He needs cancer, and fuck Dennis Bonnen.
View Quote
This is the mindset that is destroying our nation and I'll speak up every time I notice you spouting off with this vile tripe.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 4:56:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This is the mindset that is destroying our nation and I'll speak up every time I notice you spouting off with this vile tripe.
View Quote
lol...GWB, is that you?

Because this is the mindset that made GWB's 2nd term a complete joke. Daily the commie press was savaging him up the ass with a broken off broomstick, and all he could say was "But muh office, muh decorum, muh civility!"

Conversely I could say it is YOUR mindset that is destroying our nation. You sound like the kind of guy who gets in a barfight, and while your opponent is disemboweling you with a broken bottle and smashing your face in with a brick, you are worried about if you are adequately following the Marquis de Queensbury rules. By the time you figure out that you are fighting fair, you are laying dead on the ground.

The left doesn't like you. The left doesn't like anyone who is not a commie. They would happily kill you if given the chance. You cannot fight these assholes with civility. You cannot reach across the aisle and find common ground, because there is none.

You either fight them with all your heart and as viciously as they will fight you, or surrender, and enjoy your chains.

And with friends like Bonnen, who needs enemies. In a lot of ways he is worse than your average democrat scum....with democrat scum you know they're your enemy. Bonnen pretends he is your ally and smiles to your face while sticking a shiv in your back....he deserves nothing but contempt and hatred.

I am sorry I offend your delicate sensibilities...so that is all, you may go back to clutching your pearls and having the vapors.

I will add, I generally like your posts, and for the most part see you as a level headed good guy. But we are going to agree to disagree on how to take the fight to the enemy, in this case Democrats/Socialist/Commies...and turncoat "Republican" reps...
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 5:48:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The political class, because generally they are all the same pieces of crap who while they may act like they are different, in the end band together to protect each other. The Deep State.

3. He fucked himself.

1. "The Deep State" doesn't band together. Have you been paying attention? Dems and Republicans couldn't wait to get Bonnen out of Austin.
2. "the rest coming from you, means....nothing". Thats sad. Even for a '13er. No matter who said it you lack common decency.
3. You can recognize your enemies? Well la di da. You have some amazing talent you do.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 5:58:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
DogtownTom, on the blackmail issue, is it blackmail if it's true and one releases the info to others where it gets the light of day?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
DogtownTom, on the blackmail issue, is it blackmail if it's true and one releases the info to others where it gets the light of day?
Yes.
If Empower Texans taped the conservation it wasn't because Michael Quinn Sullivan has a faulty memory. He either knew quid pro quo was to be offered or he planned to guide the conversation to the same end.

We may never know why the tape saw the light of day. Likely because ET/MQS didn't get all the concessions they wanted from Bonnen.

...kind of like an actual whistleblower with actual info on a rep (Bonnen) who was trying to make underhanded deals?  
Possible. But I don't think ET/MQS would have thrown any of his cronies under the bus like he did Bonnen.

And the issue of Sullivan taping the exchange...well...if you go into the snake's den it may actually be wise to protect yourself.  And if the snake makes statements that are illegal or at least highly inappropriate, then the results are what they are.
All politicians are snakes. We elect them to represent out best interests  over the interests of those whose views differ from ours. That may require a lot of slithering.

I admit I'm not fully up to speed on all the nuances around Empower Texans or Sullivan, but I like more of what I see than not.  I also tend to think that leaders of organizations like this probably need to have some "salt" in their spine when you consider how the left will go after them ruthlessly.  I'm not suggesting they commit crimes for even a "good cause"...at this point...but limp-wristed, do-gooders probably need not apply.  
“Laws are like sausages. It’s is best not to see them being made.”
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 6:02:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

1. "The Deep State" doesn't band together. Have you been paying attention? Dems and Republicans couldn't wait to get Bonnen out of Austin.
2. "the rest coming from you, means....nothing". Thats sad. Even for a '13er. No matter who said it you lack common decency.
3. You can recognize your enemies? Well la di da. You have some amazing talent you do.
View Quote
About what I'd expect from you...still don't care.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 7:23:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yet you cared enough to respond.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 8:18:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

lol...GWB, is that you?

Because this is the mindset that made GWB's 2nd term a complete joke. Daily the commie press was savaging him up the ass with a broken off broomstick, and all he could say was "But muh office, muh decorum, muh civility!"

Conversely I could say it is YOUR mindset that is destroying our nation. You sound like the kind of guy who gets in a barfight, and while your opponent is disemboweling you with a broken bottle and smashing your face in with a brick, you are worried about if you are adequately following the Marquis de Queensbury rules. By the time you figure out that you are fighting fair, you are laying dead on the ground.

The left doesn't like you. The left doesn't like anyone who is not a commie. They would happily kill you if given the chance. You cannot fight these assholes with civility. You cannot reach across the aisle and find common ground, because there is none.

You either fight them with all your heart and as viciously as they will fight you, or surrender, and enjoy your chains.

And with friends like Bonnen, who needs enemies. In a lot of ways he is worse than your average democrat scum....with democrat scum you know they're your enemy. Bonnen pretends he is your ally and smiles to your face while sticking a shiv in your back....he deserves nothing but contempt and hatred.

I am sorry I offend your delicate sensibilities...so that is all, you may go back to clutching your pearls and having the vapors.

I will add, I generally like your posts, and for the most part see you as a level headed good guy. But we are going to agree to disagree on how to take the fight to the enemy, in this case Democrats/Socialist/Commies...and turncoat "Republican" reps...
View Quote
THIS

and while I'm at FUCK BONNEN. This snake needs to be treated like the snake he is. Cancer of the face is too good for him. I have zero friends like him for a reason. He's an unreliable traitor of the highest degree and should be treated as such. Our great heritage as Texans is being sold right out from under us by assholes like him. Tarred and feathered is too good for scum like him.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 5:06:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Since this thread began:

Dennis Bonnen

Poncho Nevarez

Gone
View Quote
Poncho is out too?
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 5:51:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 6:16:56 PM EDT
[#27]
I hate when that happens.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 9:31:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I hate when that happens.
View Quote
LOL
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 11:51:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 12:05:18 AM EDT
[#30]
With two of the biggest roadblocks to Constitutional Carry out of the way, where does this go from here?
Will Abbot and Patrick screw us again?
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 12:16:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 12:21:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
With two of the biggest roadblocks to Constitutional Carry out of the way, where does this go from here?
View Quote
Patrick will find a way.  I hope I am wrong.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 9:30:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Drugs are bad. Don’t do drugs. Guns are bad. Ban the guns. Shit, dropped my coke......  I guess that I better resign.

Bye bye to a dick head is all that I have to say.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 11:30:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
That will be one of THE Big Questions in the next session.

Wonder if Patrick will try to tie Constitutional Carry to "Universal Background Checks" which he has recently championed...

We have an uphill battle since the "D"s have made large gains and many of the remaining "R" are Rinos...
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 11:44:35 PM EDT
[#35]
I have a bad feeling about Patrick, and I have a less than warm fuzzy about Abbott. Red Texas is swiftly running out of time.  Sure as hell hope I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 8:20:26 PM EDT
[#36]
I used to have a C210. Flew it for years. Never had any envelopes with my name on them full of drugs fall out of it. So it seems to me that we need a "do over" of the last session since OUR lives were ruled by criminals (Bonnen and Nevarez).
Page / 9
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top