Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2022 12:19:08 PM EDT
We annually schedule our vacations around MLB ballparks which also has given us a good tour of the states over the years. We've tried to get a good Cali trip in before my oldest graduates HS and moves out, but the west coast covid restrictions have postponed things. Hopefully this year we can make it work.

The plan is San Diego and LA the end of June. We're driving unless gas prices just continue to get even stupider. The only thing we have scheduled is Padres game 6/26, Angels game 6/29, and Dodgers game 7/1- and those are night games so the days are wide open.

Questions:
-Of course the must-see's in SD and LA
-Carry restrictions- I know CA is no concealed and I can do my own research, but tell me about the feasibility of carrying in the car and in/out of hotel scenarios?
-Vaccine requirements for public areas, maybe less by then? I mean if 90% of the places require vax cards, we may just go elsewhere...
-Where not to stay as far as ghetto/crime/trashiness in SD and LA

Thanks for the help guys and if you're ever in north central Texas beer/chicken fry and thermal pig hunting are on me!
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 1:09:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Regarding Los Angeles -

Stay out of the City of Los Angeles.  It's close to Dodger Stadium but isn't worth the risks.  You can easily get into and out of Dodger Stadium by car.  

“My message to anyone thinking about coming to Los Angeles,... is don’t,” Jamie McBride, the head of the LA Police Protective League,...  We can’t guarantee your safety. It is really, really out of control. I said it to people before, it’s like that movie ‘Purge,’ you know, instead of 24 hours to commit your crime, these people have 365 days days to commit whatever they want,” McBride said.

COVID restrictions in my area (the South Bay Beach Cities) were never heinous and are being lifted; most are already gone.  It never went beyond wearing a mask when in the stores.  I have never been required to show proof of vaccination anywhere, ever, except one time by my employer.  Bring a mask as a precaution against potential changes after you hit the road.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 2:33:03 PM EDT
[#2]
No concealed carry except in your residence (which includes your hotel room, your campsite, your RV when used for that purpose, etc.) or on private property not open to the public on which you have a right/permission to be and where those responsible have no problem with you carrying.  Also allowed while hunting and fishing (with some caveats).  Pretty limited.  Everything else requires a California permit, and you don't qualify for a non-resident permit (pretty much just for people who work or have a business in CA, but live outside of it, and has limitations compared to resident permits; not for tourists).

Open carry without a permit is only allowed in unincorporated areas where discharge is not prohibited.  Doesn't sound like you'll be going to such places.  Official roads count as places where discharge is not permitted, so vehicle open carry is pretty much just while offroad or on unofficial dirt roads in the former sorts of places.  An exception is for percussion, flintlock, and similar firearms with separate ammunition, but it can't be primed alternatively, it can be primed, but not loaded).  Obviously if you're legally hunting with a handgun, you can openly use it.

In a vehicle, you can have your handgun unloaded on a locked container.  Mags can be loaded and you can possess ammo, and that stuff doesn't have to be locked up, just the gun itself.  Ammo in a sidesaddle or something like that does not count as loaded, but you can't have any in a chamber, cylinder, magazine that's in the magazine well, a fixed magazine, etc.  

Transport outside of the vehicle is the same as above, but you have destination requirements.  You have to be going immediately to and from authorized places, like your residence or other private property where you have a right to be and can possess a gun without limitations, a FFL or gunsmith, a gun range or area where shooting is allowed, the place where you're hunting or fishing, and I think a couple of other places.  Anything more requires a permit.

For long guns, if it is unloaded and in a locked container, or in a container designed to carry a firearm (doesn't have to be locked or lockable; I think that a gun sock technically counts), you can have it in your vehicle or on your person, openly or otherwise concealed.  Can be openly carried for hunting, but not fishing, otherwise the same conditions under which you have no carry restrictions apply as for handguns above.  If you're somewhere you can legally open carry, you can also conceal the long gun, instead.  No destination requirements/restrictions.

Obviously, be aware of our AWB.  A pistol with a threaded barrel is an AW.  Also, the only NFA stuff allowed to be brought in are AOWs, C&R SBRs and SBSs (by age, at least 50 years old), and DDs under .60-cal., assuming you have a stamp for them.  Respecting AOWs or other handguns, braces are not considered stocks here, but most rifle-receivered handguns would be considered AWs here.  Also, no magazines with a capacity over ten rounds, other than fixed tube mags on .22s, can be brought in, nor possessed if you are not covered by the injunction (which you would not be).   If your long gun has a dedicated rifle grenade spigot, it will probably be treated like a DD possessed without a permit.  If you want to know if what you want to bring is an AW, just ask.

No ammo restrictions other than tracers and incendiary ammo.

We do have a State gun-free school zones law, so you have to have everything locked up and unloaded when in public within 1000 feet of a school, including long guns, since you don't have a CA permit.  In denser areas, you'll be in such a zone a large percentage of the time.

Be aware that CA has a 4th Amendment "exception" in its laws.  If an officer has RAS or actual knowledge of a firearm on your person or in your vehicle and you don't have a carry permit, he can search for firearms and inspect them to ensure they are being transported according to the law without probable cause or a warrant.  Best not to let officers know about your firearms or give any indications that you have any (like gun cases or ammo visible).  CA does not have duty to inform, which is helpful in this context.  In urban areas you especially want to avoid dealing with the police when it comes to guns.  I'm not even sure a non-resident can get a gun taken into police custody (even wrongfully or for non-criminal reasons) back from the police due to the nature of our gun release rules, which are onerous even for a resident, absent a successful lawsuit.

More thorough than you probably need, but I figured I'd cover all of the bases.  There some other things, but they don't apply to non-residents, especially visitors.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:51:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
We annually schedule our vacations around MLB ballparks which also has given us a good tour of the states over the years. We've tried to get a good Cali trip in before my oldest graduates HS and moves out, but the west coast covid restrictions have postponed things. Hopefully this year we can make it work.

The plan is San Diego and LA the end of June. We're driving unless gas prices just continue to get even stupider. The only thing we have scheduled is Padres game 6/26, Angels game 6/29, and Dodgers game 7/1- and those are night games so the days are wide open.

Questions:
-Of course the must-see's in SD and LA
-Carry restrictions- I know CA is no concealed and I can do my own research, but tell me about the feasibility of carrying in the car and in/out of hotel scenarios?
-Vaccine requirements for public areas, maybe less by then? I mean if 90% of the places require vax cards, we may just go elsewhere...
-Where not to stay as far as ghetto/crime/trashiness in SD and LA

Thanks for the help guys and if you're ever in north central Texas beer/chicken fry and thermal pig hunting are on me!
View Quote

Vax B.S. will likely be a thing of the past by then.   Maybe even L.A. county will be lifting, soon if not already.  I've never been asked, aside from church, for proof of vax that I recall.  L.A. County was one of the worst areas for governmental ineptitude.  And I don't recall getting asked any times there but day trips, long weekends were usually up the coast and while masking was commonly aksed for, I think you'll be fine.  But keep an eye on it, big sports events were one of the things supposedly requiring stricter attention.  Don't know, haven't tried going to anything like that recently.

I would expect that the identifiers for where not to casually get "lost," etc. would be similar as in Texas.  Where to "stay?"  Anaheim?  Lots of lodging opportunities, almost all suitable if you stay around the Disney Resort area.  Can be pricey because of Disney.  It's maybe over simplifying but  No Garden Grove, no Santa Ana.  As you get to Irvine or the beach communities and then south towards San Diego, should be fine.  Escondido has some sketchiness.  You could tourist the whole L.A area from Anaheim if driving some doesn't bother you too much.  Might be easier to stay settled.  

You'd want to stay in the SD area for a couple of days, maybe, but we do day trips to San Diego.  The drive to Orange County after a night game might be a drag after a long day sightseeing.  I'd think Point Loma, Mission Valley - we do day trips to SD and have family down there so haven't tried motel/hoteling it recently.  Things to see?  USS Midway!  Adjacent to Midway is a small park with a number of monuments and memorials to historic naval or military events/people.  SD Zoo and Safari Park might be worth the trips.  Look up Balboa Park - it'w where the zoo is but has other museums, too.  Point Loma - Cabrillo National Monument has great views of the city, maybe tidepools if timed right.  Coronado - Hotel del Coronado - classic resort hotel.  Close to Amphib Base and North Island NAS so maybe stuff going on.  Depending on things, maybe "visit" ships at the base or near Midway?

Lots of lLA. is sketchy.  But many impressive opportunities.  If sports are a"driver," then you might want to see the L.A Coliseum and Rose Bowl.  Coliseum is in a sketchy area but also has several big museums, Natural Histopry Museum has a lot of traditional stuffed animal displays but they are trying to get past that, dinosaurs, big rocks and minerals collection.  Science Center has a fair museum but also has a Space Shuttle.  Hollywood reeks in several ways but might be of some interest. Griffith Planetarium and Observatory has panoramic views of most of L.A. area, amazing at night.  Popular so hard to get to.  Look it up for shuttle info, etc.  Hollywood Bowl is famus, you can see it during the day, take shuttle buses if you do a concert.  It's a high traffic area and congested.  Not too far from Rose Bowl,"the Huntington," a world class gardens, research library and art gallery with displays and exhibits.

Getty Museum on the west side across downtown from Anaheim so a bit of a drive, so planning required.  I'm not a beach person, really, but Orange County beaches easily reached from theAnaheim area.  Summer can be crowded - be at least a little wary that May Gray and June Gloom might be hanging around - morning fog and overcast.  Not all sun all the time in summer.

Link Posted: 3/12/2022 2:47:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We do have a State gun-free school zones law, so you have to have everything locked up and unloaded when in public within 1000 feet of a school, including long guns, since you don't have a CA permit.  In denser areas, you'll be in such a zone a large percentage of the time.
View Quote

I've always wanted to see a map of LA County (or the State) overlaid with all these gun-free school zones.  

I suspect there isn't a single corridor through LA County that does not pass through at least one of these zones.  1,000 feet in all directions is a large tract of land.

My home is inside one of those 1,000 foot boundaries.  There are approximately 2,000 homes like mine inside the boundary of one local school (and we have MANY schools near us).

This would be an interesting map, no?  I bet it means ALL firearms need to be unloaded and in a locked contained ALL THE TIME outside your home.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 8:05:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies so far!
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 5:13:53 PM EDT
[#6]
What to see in SD:

USS Midway
other ships along embarcadero (one price for 6 or 7 boats)

that ends the list of tings I can think of people would want to see other than museums in Balboa park.

Blue Water seafood on India street is good and not far from downtown. Hodad's has good burgers and great onion rings.

Dont stay anywhere near petco park

tell yourself you will see more homeless than you thought possible, you will.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 12:50:38 PM EDT
[#7]
If you’ve got the time and the extra money, go on a half-day or 3/4 day fishing trip out of one of the San Diego landings. That time of year should be perfect for some good yellowtail action, maybe even some tuna if they show up like they did last year.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 7:38:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Help on LA spot to stay-
Looking for a somewhat central AND SAFE location to start hotel/Vrbo searching…
Attractions were looking to drive to in LA-
Dodger stadium
Angels stadium
Chinatown
Hollywood walk of fame
Getty museum
Universal studios

I’m not savy to LA at all other than looking at distances on Google maps, right now I’m leaning toward Manhattan beach area and the prices around there are somewhat reasonable…
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 8:42:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Angel Stadium is not real close to the rest of those spots.  The Getty is not real close but not too far.  I have the feeling that near the Getty might be kind of steep.  It's not that far from Beverly Hills/Westwood/Brentwood, etc.  I might think about the Universal City area, near Universal Studios, kind of congested over the Cahuenga Pass to Hollywood but otherwise close to the "Hollywood" attractions and not that much farther to Dodger Stadium.  Close to Dodger Stadium or Chinatown is sketchy, not likely someplace one might want to stay.  Might be priced up by being near studios, Burbank Airport, etc.  Actual downtown hotels aren't too far but business/fancy "Downtown" I don't think is going to be budget friendly.  Maybe Glendale or Pasadena.  Neighborhoods can change fairly quickly in some areas.  Name chains, upper end are fairly consistent in quality but can be pricey.  My brother has had out of town family stay down in the Orange County area but we're typically not close to what your looking for or family stays with my in-laws as they have some space.

Link Posted: 3/21/2022 10:17:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:  I’m leaning toward Manhattan beach area and the prices around there are somewhat reasonable…
View Quote

You're on the right track.

Manhattan Beach is a good idea - safe, clean, fun in itself.  
The Redondo Beach hotels in the Marina area are another good bet.  Lots of visitors stay there.  Look around Harbor Drive and Marina Way - Redondo Beach Hotel, Sonesta Redondo Beach, Shade Hotel, Portofino Inn.
VRBO - look for a rental house on The Strand (right on the beach).

Hollywood walk of fame - homeless people, dirty, way over-rated
Chinatown - maybe for lunch before the game at...
Dodger stadium - in one of the worst areas in LA.

Angels stadium - perhaps a visit to Downtown Disney before/after the game?

Getty museum - there are two.  Getty Villa (in Malibu) is unlike any other museum I've been to.  It's more like visiting someone palace.  The Getty (Brentwood) is a conventional museum and also well worth the visit.

Universal Studios - probably worthwhile but I haven't been there in many decades.  Buy the "front of the line" pass, for sure!

In the Long Beach/San Pedro area, there is the USS Iowa, the Long Beach Aquarium, the Queen Mary.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 1:07:49 AM EDT
[#11]
The Hollywood Walk of Fame is a complete and total waste of time. The risk far outweighs the reward. There are so many sketchy folks just waiting for easy marks who are preoccupied with looking at a name on the ground.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 12:14:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The Hollywood Walk of Fame is a complete and total waste of time. The risk far outweighs the reward. There are so many sketchy folks just waiting for easy marks who are preoccupied with looking at a name on the ground.
View Quote

Agreed, not worth the time or trouble.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 2:35:57 PM EDT
[#13]
We've taken visitors to the central "famous"  section of Hollywood.  The Chinese Theater, Dolby Theater, Walk of Fame, etc.  They enjoyed it.  Seeing the hand and foot prints at the Chinese, seeing at least some of the famous names on the walk.  The view from the Griffith Observatory can be amazing.  As "locals" (more or less), we're used to it.  "Hollywood," with the movies, tv industry, etc., I get the interest for seeing it.  So we see the congestion, parking problems, etc.  Visitors see the Oscars, red carpets, tv shows,.

So, should you want to see that area, be aware that Los Angeles has decided to tolerate high levels of street living and homeless, mentally ill and/or drug abusing, and many are in the area and on the streets.  It's also an area, near the Chinese theater, with street vendors, costumed characters trying to sell things or get paid for pictures, etc., etc.  It is a popular area, tourists, dining spots, theaters, clubs, etc., and just plenty of businesses.  It's crowded.  It's not the safest area.  There has been some erratic, unpredictable "crazies" crime.  Diverse but not non-existent "gang" related crimes, with bystanders caught up in it, drug related crime, so car break ins, opportunity purse snatches, etc.

So I'm not sure I'd say don't go, I would say don't go unaware.  And I think it might apply to any of the places you are looking to see, it's a high tourist time.

Link Posted: 3/23/2022 11:38:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Look at all the BS, all of which just explains why you should NOT GO to the Walk of Fame, Hollywood & Vine area.  Also, you should NOT GO to the Venice Beach area.

These areas may look edgy, vibrant and hip when you see them on TV but when you are there and see they are filthy, smelly, are over-run by homeless drug addicts and real lunatics, well,... it isn't so much hip as it is degenerate.

Go to the Getty and enjoy yourself.  Last time I went (pre-COVID), they also had great food.  

Instead of the Walk of Fame, go to the other Getty (there are two).  Or go to Long Beach's Aquarium, instead.

If you stay in Manhattan Beach, rent some bikes and go for a ride along the beach bike path.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 1:55:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The Redondo Beach hotels in the Marina area are another good bet.  Lots of visitors stay there.  Look around Harbor Drive and Marina Way - Redondo Beach Hotel, Sonesta Redondo Beach, Shade Hotel, Portofino Inn.

Getty museum - there are two.  Getty Villa (in Malibu) is unlike any other museum I've been to.  It's more like visiting someone palace.  The Getty (Brentwood) is a conventional museum and also well worth the visit.

Universal Studios - probably worthwhile but I haven't been there in many decades.  Buy the "front of the line" pass, for sure!

In the Long Beach/San Pedro area, there is the USS Iowa, the Long Beach Aquarium, the Queen Mary.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  I’m leaning toward Manhattan beach area and the prices around there are somewhat reasonable…

I’ve spent lots of nights at the Courtyard by Marriott in Torrance on Sepulveda just west of Crenshaw and at what used to be Staybridge Suites on Challenger/Prairie in Torrance - it’s now a Sonesta, probably the same one mentioned above. I have not stayed there since it changed.

Link Posted: 3/25/2022 11:21:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks everyone for the help.
We're staying in Bayside Holiday Inn IHG in San Diego off of N. Harbor Drive west of the Airport,
and Best Western Plus Manhattan Beach.
Not the most expensive by far but seems like those are a couple of decent locations with somewhat clean rooms

Now just gotta plan how to blow as much $ as possible in the short amount of time we're staying! 1200$ for 5 of us at 3 different baseball games was a good start.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 12:03:54 AM EDT
[#17]
The zoo is stupid expensive, that should help lighten the wallet.

or just buy a tank of gas.. $5.81 this morning
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 12:09:27 PM EDT
[#18]
It was $6.79/gal at one place by me.  

Another place had it at $6.50/gal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top