Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2021 3:20:07 PM EDT

When googling the legality of Tennessee concealed carry in your car, I found 2 different sources that say you "can't carry on your person". Is this absolute even if you have a concealed carry permit? (or is this for those who don't have the permit and are relying on constitutional carry only?)

Vehicle Transportation of Firearms;
A person possessing a firearm or ammunition in a motor vehicle who is not otherwise prohibited from owning a firearm and is in lawful possession of the motor vehicle is not in violation of the open carry law in Tennessee as long as the firearm is not carried on one's person.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 3:51:46 PM EDT
[#1]
TN is very confused right now due to just passing a law that allows anyone to carry without a permit.  and there was a law that allowed louisiana style carry in vehicle without a permit (extension of your house).   and there's the full permit, which gets reciprocity with other states, and then the junior permit that requires almost nothing to get.    so it's very confusing at the moment.

but if you have a TX permit, you should be fine carrying on your person in your car
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 8:08:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
A person possessing a firearm or ammunition in a motor vehicle who is not otherwise prohibited from owning a firearm and is in lawful possession of the motor vehicle is not in violation of the open carry law in Tennessee as long as the firearm is not carried on one's person.
View Quote

What’s the source of that?
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:24:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

When googling the legality of Tennessee concealed carry in your car, I found 2 different sources that say you "can't carry on your person". Is this absolute even if you have a concealed carry permit? (or is this for those who don't have the permit and are relying on constitutional carry only?)

View Quote

I would ASSume that this is for persons without permits, however no telling how this dovetails into the new "permitless carry" law.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 10:45:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Here are the parts of the main statute on carrying firearms.  I don't know where the red part of the OP comes from:

39-17-1307. Unlawful carrying or possession of a weapon.
a)(1) A person commits an offense who carries, with the intent to go armed, a firearm or a club.
(e)(1) It is an exception to the application of subsection (a) that a person is carrying or possessing a firearm, loaded firearm, or firearm ammunition in a motor vehicle or boat if the person:
(A) Is not prohibited from possessing or receiving a firearm by 18 U.S.C. § 922(g) or purchasing a firearm by § 39-17-1316; and
(B) Is in lawful possession of the motor vehicle or boat.
(g) It is an exception to the application of subsection (a) that a person is carrying, whether openly or concealed, a handgun and:
(1)
(A) The person is at least twenty-one (21) years of age; or
(B) The person is at least eighteen (18) years of age and:
(i) Is an honorably discharged or retired veteran of the United States armed forces;
(ii) Is an honorably discharged member of the army national guard, the army reserve, the navy reserve, the marine corps reserve, the air national guard, the air force reserve, or the coast guard reserve, who has successfully completed a basic training program; or
(iii) Is a member of the United States armed forces on active duty status or is a current member of the army national guard, the army reserve, the navy reserve, the marine corps reserve, the air national guard, the air force reserve, or the coast guard reserve, who has successfully completed a basic training program;
(2) The person lawfully possesses the handgun; and
(3) The person is in a place where the person is lawfully present.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:01:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here are the parts of the main statute on carrying firearms.  I don't know where the red part of the OP comes from:

39-17-1307. Unlawful carrying or possession of a weapon.
a)(1) A person commits an offense who carries, with the intent to go armed, a firearm or a club.
(e)(1) It is an exception to the application of subsection (a) that a person is carrying or possessing a firearm, loaded firearm, or firearm ammunition in a motor vehicle or boat if the person:
(A) Is not prohibited from possessing or receiving a firearm by 18 U.S.C. § 922(g) or purchasing a firearm by § 39-17-1316; and
(B) Is in lawful possession of the motor vehicle or boat.
(g) It is an exception to the application of subsection (a) that a person is carrying, whether openly or concealed, a handgun and:
(1)
(A) The person is at least twenty-one (21) years of age; or
(B) The person is at least eighteen (18) years of age and:
(i) Is an honorably discharged or retired veteran of the United States armed forces;
(ii) Is an honorably discharged member of the army national guard, the army reserve, the navy reserve, the marine corps reserve, the air national guard, the air force reserve, or the coast guard reserve, who has successfully completed a basic training program; or
(iii) Is a member of the United States armed forces on active duty status or is a current member of the army national guard, the army reserve, the navy reserve, the marine corps reserve, the air national guard, the air force reserve, or the coast guard reserve, who has successfully completed a basic training program;
(2) The person lawfully possesses the handgun; and
(3) The person is in a place where the person is lawfully present.
View Quote

I appreciate your trying to help, but this legal quote above, still does not address the issue in question about legally being able to carry concealed on your person , and NOT just concealed in a glove compartment. . What I have been reading is that without the supplemental Tennessee permit or recognized reciprocate agreement from a recognized state (like as Texas) , the recent "Constitutional Carry" is next to useless, as there are many places you cannot legally carry. But even with the Tennessee and Texas permits, you can have the gun concealed in your car but NOT on your person. As they say,  "Google is your friend", and I found this mentioned in 2 different sources. I do NOT have the time right now to hunt it down again, but will do it later. I'm sure I entered something along the lines of "Can you legally carry concealed in your car in Tennessee?"  or maybe I googled, "Tennessee concealed carry in glove compartment?" etc, etc....or something like that.  I guarantee you many Google topics along those lines will appear, and if you have 5-15 minutes, you will find at least 2 different sources that I had copied and pasted from.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 4:53:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I appreciate your trying to help, but this legal quote above, still does not address the issue in question about legally being able to carry concealed on your person , and NOT just concealed in a glove compartment. .
View Quote

Read the statute I cited and see if it doesn't answer your question.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:58:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't ask don't tell.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 2:58:02 PM EDT
[#8]
https://www.seviercountysheriff.com/tennessee-gun-laws.html

"Vehicle Transportation of Firearms"

https://www.gunstocarry.com/gun-laws-state/tennessee-gun-laws/

"Carry in Vehicle",  and Click on "See Details"

https://gunlawsuits.org/gun-laws/tennessee/

Click on "Carry in Vehicle"
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 3:22:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
https://www.seviercountysheriff.com/tennessee-gun-laws.html

"Vehicle Transportation of Firearms"

https://www.gunstocarry.com/gun-laws-state/tennessee-gun-laws/

"Carry in Vehicle",  and Click on "See Details"

https://gunlawsuits.org/gun-laws/tennessee/

Click on "Carry in Vehicle"
View Quote
Constitutional Carry started July 1 of this year. So, those links aren't quite accurate.

If you can constitutional carry, you can constitutional carry in your car.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 3:30:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 3:39:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Constitutional Carry started July 1 of this year. So, those links aren't quite accurate.

If you can constitutional carry, you can constitutional carry in your car.
View Quote

"So those links aren't quite accurate
". So then this is open to interpretation of the cop that arrests you??

In the past, the law was clear that you could NOT "carry on your person". Until someone posts the EXACT verse in the newest statutes that indicates I can legally carry "on my person" now & today, I will NOT rely on a cop's interpretation. This could be one of those areas that the legislature may need to clarify so it is understood in B & W print so that an anti-gun cop can't interpret the law as he sees fit.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 8:08:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Been pulled over by multiple county sheriff's and state troopers over the years, I just tell them I have a handgun and a long gun (ar). They normally ask where? On my right hip in a holster, under my shirt and seat belt....they really seem to not care (but when they run my shit before being pulled, I don't come across as a pc of shit)

Been stopped a couple times by TWRA (TN wildlife resource agency) on the lake, and these guys have more power than the TBI and local Leo's. They always pull up to the console side and look down for beer etc from operator station. They have never said anything about my pistol or shot gun(during hunting season)

I have never heard of a good honest law obeying person (that can legally possess) being harassed for a gun concealed in a car or boat

Most times when you mention you have one, the response "so does everybody in ___ county"

I love TN
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 8:16:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Actually the links you posted are not 100% correct...."Carrying Defined
It is unlawful for any person to carry “with the intent to go armed” a firearm or a club.  The burden is on the state to show an “intent to go armed.”

It actually says "with the intent to go armed in public" which brought up issues of private property of businesses and "public tax paid properties" which rolls the whole park, buildings etc into equation.

They....the TN .gov....Iirc....to include private business as being public,said 3+ people in X amount of space is public...don't hold me to last sentence

eta to space my reply away from statement on website
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 1:14:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

"Not quite accurate" in that there is incorrect information on those webpages.

The Sevier Co Sheriff page appears to not have been updated to show the current laws.

The other two have some information that is clearly false (hasn't been true in at least the last two decades), so you cannot trust their information.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:01:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

In the past, the law was clear that you could NOT "carry on your person". Until someone posts the EXACT verse in the newest statutes that indicates I can legally carry "on my person" now & today, I will NOT rely on a cop's interpretation. This could be one of those areas that the legislature may need to clarify so it is understood in B & W print so that an anti-gun cop can't interpret the law as he sees fit.
View Quote
Reading is for sissies.

The "content" in those links is not accurate or current.

You can clearly carry in your car. Constitutional carry includes your car.

You keep following your county sheriff dept web site. I'll go by the state law.

A couple of the posts have stated the law. You are looking for a fight with guys on your side. I am going to move on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top