Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2022 10:13:42 AM EDT
My son and his wife are getting out of the active duty .mil and joining the guard soon. Their best housing option while they transition is in MD. Both will be out of the state for about 6 months total each for tech schools, and their guard unit is in another state. The law for registering "regulated" weapons mentions people moving to MD with the "intent" of becoming a resident. The kids are not moving to MD with the "intent" of becoming residents at all and will only be renting a house there for a year. Does this have any bearing on their needing to register their regulated weapons? I assume that if you are renting a house for a year and working in MD, the state .gov considers you a resident whether you like it or not.

Both kids have TS or higher clearances. My understanding is that they could get CCW permits. Is that correct?

Also, one of my son's rifles is an AK that was built by me in 2011 and gifted to him in 2012. Am I correct that this one would be "'grandfathered in" as being registerable? How would he prove this? All of the rest of his "regulated" rifles (ARs) were acquired after 2013 (in another state) and thus cannot be registered?

With all of this convoluted mess, it seems like their best option is to keep all of their firearms at my house in NC while they are in MD, except for their CCW handguns which will have to be registered.

Appreciate in advance any information on these questions

Link Posted: 4/18/2022 11:53:05 AM EDT
[#1]
<--- Not a lawyer.

I would leave all my stuff with you and only take my CCW.  Maybe a shotgun (For the apartment) if they have spare.  A year goes by quick and in my opinion, isn't worth the hassle.

Regards
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:46:48 AM EDT
[#2]
That is what he decided to do. Everything but his CCW piece will come here. May think about giving him an 870 for the house... Good idea.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top