Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2018 2:35:52 PM EDT
Colorado native, sick of what has become of my native state and with a new legislative body coming in all "D" in January it is only going to get worse.
Have thought about relocating for a long time, initially Wyoming but the wife is not keen on it in the least.
Now I have never been to anyplace in Kentucky outside of Louisville but the wife has family in the Covington area and has jaunted over to Falmouth and speaks well of it.
Looked at some properties online and was very surprised how far the dollar can go on real estate. I could sell my home in CO for $50k under market if I wished and pay cash for a sizable property with home and outbuildings and have decent cash left over.
Income wouldn't be an overly large issue, I have a good pension from a career of 24 yrs with the state plus I have a full machine shop that would be making the trip with us.
I figure I could open my 'Smithing business back up plus do equipment repairs, fabrication and general machine work.
Would like a hilly area so flooding would not be a concern. No desire to be in a city per se, would like to be a bit off the beaten path but not in isolation.
Also took a bit of an online gander at Tennessee as well.

Input and thoughts please
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 4:17:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I’m from Hazard.  Live in Richmond now.  I visited Colorado Springs in 2002 and it’s a beautiful area.  Sad what the Dems have done to the place.  A lot of central and Western KY is rolling hills.  East Ky has mountains.  I replied to your other thread.  It really depends on if you’re looking to be near a city with movie theaters, malls, restaurants or you wanna be in the woods to hunt/fish/shoot/4 wheel.  A little of all that all over the state but depending on the area it’ll skew heavier one way or another.

100 years of corrupt Democrat good ole boy rule has crippled the state financially.  Taxes overall are a bit high.  R’s have control now since 2016 but damage is done.  Very conservative state overall now except cities.

ETA: The older I get the more I miss Hazard and the mountains.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 4:43:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Sent a PM, anything west of Fleming Co / Mason CO is rolling hills but not true hill country. everything east of there is Appalachian foothills; it's really about getting in good with the neighbors.

Time and time again I've seen people move to the rural areas to try and escape their suburban existence. They try to bring all the shit they hate about their former locale along with them, they get shunned and turn into weekenders who play hilljack on the weekends during hunting season because they can't make any real friends.

Being real and humble go a long way and open a lot of doors, best country and people there are and I've seen a lot of the world.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 9:29:31 PM EDT
[#3]
well if you want HILLS ... Anderson county has plenty.
And rocks.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 12:36:08 PM EDT
[#4]
There are no "mountains" in KY (at least compared to the Rockies).

We do have some big hills though.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 4:49:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Appalachians were mountains. There older than the Rockies and have many more years of erosion in from hazard. Moved 2-3 times and can’t stay away.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 11:58:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Appalachians were mountains. There older than the Rockies and have many more years of erosion in from hazard. Moved 2-3 times and can’t stay away.
View Quote
Yes you are correct by definition. However once you see the Rockies or Brooks range our "mountains" seem much closer related to hills.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top