Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2018 10:04:46 PM EDT
What's it like?
Is it worth while?
Usually good vendor selections?
Who's the best shop vendor to check out?

Never been to a FL gun show so I'm eager to go but not it's a waste of money/time.
Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 8:44:09 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a Shoot Straight gun show unfortunately not only do you have to pay to get in but also to park. If you have never been to one it's the only game in town. You never know when you will find that diamond in the rough.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 11:50:38 PM EDT
[#2]
The one in Orlando isn't too bad. Free parking, you gotta pay to get in (my father in law gets coupons from somewhere for a few bucks off), shoot straight does have a VERY large section but theres a lot of different things to get and see between the two separate buildings
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 6:56:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I skipped it. May try the Orlando show sometime.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:21:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't mean by a very large presence it's a Shoot Straight gun show , I mean they own the gun show period.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 11:02:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't mean by a very large presence it's a Shoot Straight gun show , I mean they own the gun show period.
View Quote
I like gun shows that have mostly gun company booths, not a bunch of fruity stuff like stun gun booths, scentsy booths ect. Also like to get small parts like breaks and maybe swag booths like stickers shirts ect.

Would you say the Orlando and Tampa shows are good ones or just over priced dealers and not much cool swag or misc small parts?
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 12:12:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Lakeland Rifle & Pistol Club has a show in a hanger at the Sun&Fun airport. July 21-22
This is a new venture for the club, likely they'll be looking to pull out all the stops
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 11:23:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had some good times shopping at the Shoot Straight owned shows in south Florida and I always enjoy walking their aisles.

If you know how to bargain and talk to folks there's often some very good buys to be had.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 11:39:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Let's see.

Pay to get in, pay to park. Pay to get in is fine, but the parking is too much in my opinion.
Fairgrounds are blah. Attendees population is too ghetto and trashy compared to other venues. Bad for private sales in my opinion.

Shootstraight dominates the show, its their show. Massive selection, reasonable prices considering they are a dealer. Not great, but I've seen worse. As far as others...Also depends on whether there's a panic buy or not. Unfavorable upcoming election results, or mass shooter event, or political push for gun control will bring prices up. Expect 50% below even blue book values on your trade ins.

The usual private buyers hanging around outside looking to buy anything from anyone at low-ball prices. Same faces every time, obvious proxy buyers.

Concession food that makes your high school cafeteria seem gourmet.

There's the beef jerky people.

There's the holsters, belts and purses dealer who has holsters, belts and purses that seems that no one would ever buy. Especially the purses. Maybe a 90 year old cowboy might get a belt.

A few knife dealers, mostly junk. A few swords and other gimmicky stuff.

A few "optics" dealers selling a wide array of Tacticrap NCStar grade optics.

Others selling Airsoft grade junk rails and gizmos.

Your typical milsurp tables with below-rack grade examples, lacking any finish, and stocks that look like they've been used to hammer railroad ties for 30 years, in a condition unsuitable to shoot, but more suitable for marking a grave site - selling for 4-5x what they should.

There's the stun gun guy - who is running the stun gun non-stop so that you can hear the buzzing crackling sound of it from a few aisles away.

You will see some people buying ammo like the zombie apocalypse is tomorrow. They will literally be carting it off in milspec cases on a dolly as you walk into the show. Presumably because it's a good deal and they save money buying in bulk. Then when you get to see the empty pallets where this ammo once was and see the price and you compare to the internet pricing even with shipping, you will be quickly reminded that there truly is a sucker born every minute. Hey, more power to the dealers. They got mouths to feed too.

There's always the idiot who is carrying an egregiously over-accessorized tacticool AR (almost as bad as that meme photo that's been going around for years), with a for sale tag on it - but who has no intent whatsoever to sell it and it just trying to show off or look cool.

You'll hear some people haggling, getting ripped off beyond belief but walking away like they scored the deal of a lifetime.

Just about anything high-end, or authentically mil-spec in terms of modern rifles or optics are usually behind glass or have a sign on it not to be handled. Prices are several times higher than internet. To the point that they aren't serious about selling them except to a complete sucker - they are just eye candy to draw people to tables selling Taurus and derringers.

The Nazi memorabilia table isn't always there...so luck of the draw.

You might come across a sale, but it will almost always be something very common. An XD or M&P pistol. Usually only on one specific model and caliber. If it so happens to be the one you want, you're in luck. However, while the deal is good at face value - when you factor in the cost of the show and parking, you can often get the same deal at a local dealer and save the hassle.

There's always a table or two where the owners sitting in chairs and are unresponsive to everyone, even people asking to buy their goods.

That sums it up.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 9:48:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Let's see.

Pay to get in, pay to park. Pay to get in is fine, but the parking is too much in my opinion.
Fairgrounds are blah. Attendees population is too ghetto and trashy compared to other venues. Bad for private sales in my opinion.

Shootstraight dominates the show, its their show. Massive selection, reasonable prices considering they are a dealer. Not great, but I've seen worse. As far as others...Also depends on whether there's a panic buy or not. Unfavorable upcoming election results, or mass shooter event, or political push for gun control will bring prices up. Expect 50% below even blue book values on your trade ins.

The usual private buyers hanging around outside looking to buy anything from anyone at low-ball prices. Same faces every time, obvious proxy buyers.

There's the holsters, belts and purses dealer who has holsters, belts and purses that seems that no one would ever buy. Especially the purses. Maybe a 90 year old cowboy might get a belt.

Your typical milsurp tables with below-rack grade examples, lacking any finish, and stocks that look like they've been used to hammer railroad ties for 30 years, in a condition unsuitable to shoot, but more suitable for marking a grave site - selling for 4-5x what they should.

There's the stun gun guy - who is running the stun gun non-stop so that you can hear the buzzing crackling sound of it from a few aisles away.

You will see some people buying ammo like the zombie apocalypse is tomorrow. They will literally be carting it off in milspec cases on a dolly as you walk into the show. Presumably because it's a good deal and they save money buying in bulk. Then when you get to see the empty pallets where this ammo once was and see the price and you compare to the internet pricing even with shipping, you will be quickly reminded that there truly is a sucker born every minute. Hey, more power to the dealers. They got mouths to feed too.

There's always the idiot who is carrying an egregiously over-accessorized tacticool AR (almost as bad as that meme photo that's been going around for years), with a for sale tag on it - but who has no intent whatsoever to sell it and it just trying to show off or look cool.

You'll hear some people haggling, getting ripped off beyond belief but walking away like they scored the deal of a lifetime.

Just about anything high-end, or authentically mil-spec in terms of modern rifles or optics are usually behind glass or have a sign on it not to be handled. Prices are several times higher than internet. To the point that they aren't serious about selling them except to a complete sucker - they are just eye candy to draw people to tables selling Taurus and derringers.

You might come across a sale, but it will almost always be something very common. An XD or M&P pistol. Usually only on one specific model and caliber. If it so happens to be the one you want, you're in luck. However, while the deal is good at face value - when you factor in the cost of the show and parking, you can often get the same deal at a local dealer and save the hassle.

There's always a table or two where the owners sitting in chairs and are unresponsive to everyone, even people asking to buy their goods.

That sums it up.
View Quote
Sounds very lame. I am dissapoint.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 6:18:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Let's see.

That sums it up.
View Quote
I hardly go any more but I have attended the Tampa, Lakeland and Orlando shows for a couple of decades.

What you say is mostly true.  However, I have got some deals.

Examples:

Good quality Colt 20 rd mags for $10.

NOS Colt A1 barrel assemblies $150.

Colt 3 X 20 carry handle scope like new with box and lens cover $150.

Two original 601 triangular charging handles for $140.

KNC used M-4 rails $70.

Great condition Leupold VX-II 3-9X scope $50.

Anderson lowers for $45 out the door.

Great condition SS Ruger 10-22 for $90 with scope.

Preban SGW complete lower AR receiver with A-1 stock $75.  ( later sold it for $900)
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 7:41:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Lakeland Rifle & Pistol Club has a show in a hanger at the Sun&Fun airport. July 21-22
This is a new venture for the club, likely they'll be looking to pull out all the stops
View Quote
Is this the big gun show in Lakeland that happens twice a year? If so, I remember it being pretty much the only good gun show in the area. They had far more used guns than the other shows (in which you could just hit the gun shows in the area and see the same stuff). Although it’s been a while since I went.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 5:17:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 6:45:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Let's see.

That sums it up.
View Quote
We should have this as a sticky since the question is asked a lot and this post pretty much nails it for the Florida Gun Shows.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 7:43:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I like gun shows, besides the shopping aspect, they're a piece of true Americana and symbolic of the freedom we still enjoy in this state which is why the gun grabbers are so anxious to see them destroyed.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 8:54:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I like gun shows, besides the shopping aspect, they're a piece of true Americana and symbolic of the freedom we still enjoy in this state which is why the gun grabbers are so anxious to see them destroyed.
View Quote
And this post should be sticky also. I love to go. I rarely buy but I pretty much always go.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 1:37:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top