Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2022 8:38:03 PM EDT
We're looking at a vacation cabin in north Georgia. Maybe near Blue Ridge, Blair and Ellijay. Any info? Far enough away from Atlanta? Far enough away from Atlanta to avoid nuclear glow?
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 9:36:41 PM EDT
[#1]
You and everyone else in Atlanta are looking/buying land in that area.

Will be Atlanta north here in a few years at the current rate.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 9:56:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 10:06:00 PM EDT
[#3]
It's crazy.  We have a 2nd home in Ellijay.  Bought in August 2018.  Zillow estimate now is more than double what the Zillow estimate was then.

I've gotten two unsolicited offers for much more than I paid.  I think the Zillow estimate triggers a lead to realtors that the owner is getting an estimate on the selling price.  And I've only had the place 3.5 years.  It's unreal.  

To answer the OP's question:
Jasper is about where the mountain views begin.  30-40 minutes from Cobb County.
Ellijay is about an hour from Cobb County and is rural with very nice views but has gotten pricey.  It's about to expand big time and the locals aren't happy about it.
Blue Ridge is really nice views but an hour and a half from Cobb County.
The further North you go from there, the more isolated but with prettier views.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 11:25:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's crazy.  We have a 2nd home in Ellijay.  Bought in August 2018.  Zillow estimate now is more than double what the Zillow estimate was then.

I've gotten two unsolicited offers for much more than I paid.  I think the Zillow estimate triggers a lead to realtors that the owner is getting an estimate on the selling price.  And I've only had the place 3.5 years.  It's unreal.  

To answer the OP's question:
Jasper is about where the mountain views begin.  30-40 minutes from Cobb County.
Ellijay is about an hour from Cobb County and is rural with very nice views but has gotten pricey.  It's about to expand big time and the locals aren't happy about it.
Blue Ridge is really nice views but an hour and a half from Cobb County.
The further North you go from there, the more isolated but with prettier views.
View Quote

Good info guys! Thanks! Which town if we want to rent it out (Airbnb) when we aren't there? How about Blair something or other? Realtor mentioned that too. Which town draws the most tourists and at the opposite extreme, which town is most peaceful? Trying to weigh options. Heading out there soon. Maybe Sunday.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 6:38:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Good info guys! Thanks! Which town if we want to rent it out (Airbnb) when we aren't there? How about Blair something or other? Realtor mentioned that too. Which town draws the most tourists and at the opposite extreme, which town is most peaceful? Trying to weigh options. Heading out there soon. Maybe Sunday.
View Quote

For the most tourists I'd say Blue Ridge.
For most peaceful I'd say Blairsville because it's further away from the city.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:06:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

For the most tourists I'd say Blue Ridge.
For most peaceful I'd say Blairsville because it's further away from the city.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:36:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Honestly OP if you are looking for true rural area none of the places you are looking at will be all that viable over the next 5-10 years. We are seeing a huge amount growth across all of North GA and it sickens me.

If you want way out in the sticks and no neighbors, away from large citys, large tracks of land for sale check middle GA and south GA.

elbert, wilkes, Lincoln, oglethorpe, green, Taliaferro = general no mans lands.

large pine tracks and very little population.

I told my wife when covid kicked off that Taliaferro will be the last county in GA to get a confirmed case and I was right. Its a interesting county from preppers perspective. Wiki link (second least populated county easy of mississippi)   only 1700 ppl in whole county notice the demographics tho. Median Income is $23000 so very poor even for rural GA standards.  No major citys but also a good ways from any major places to get your groceries and other goods so best start buying your food online and having it shipped. lol

Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:45:22 AM EDT
[#8]
And if you want mountain remote check for a house in Tate City which I think is in towns county. Its beautiful, its super remote and my guess is that It will be super expensive as well. Its not really a city more of a community. Probably 200-300 acers with 20 homes on it all land locked by National forest. One way in one way out.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/4/2022 2:01:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Lots of good info again. I appreciate the boots on the ground Intel.

We're still trying to decide between a quiet getaway and a fun getaway close to restaurants/shopping/activities. I'm pulling for quiet, but my wife and agent recommend the other. Rental income is important to me though and I'm starting to be swayed. It sounds like Blue Ridge should be our target. Any other similar places?
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 2:51:13 PM EDT
[#10]
lol... you don't want GA. you want TN or even NC mountains.

GA is a goner.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 2:51:48 PM EDT
[#11]
If you don’t like the prices in and around BR look at the Ducktown TN area.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 8:51:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

GA is a goner.
View Quote

Yep, if you're looking at Blue Ridge or Blairsville you'd be better off going a little further north into TN.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 10:26:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yep, if you're looking at Blue Ridge or Blairsville you'd be better off going a little further north into TN.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

GA is a goner.

Why is GA a goner? I just started looking...lol.

Been looking for months in the Western Carolina mountains and Eastern TN. Drove out to buy a place several times, only to have it sold en route. I'm old fashioned and want to at least walk through a place before I drop half a million cash. Georgia prices seem a bit cheaper if you can believe that. Better chance to buy a place without fighting a dozen other clowns.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 10:27:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you don’t like the prices in and around BR look at the Ducktown TN area.
View Quote

I'll check it out. Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 6:43:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GA is a goner.

Link Posted: 3/5/2022 12:45:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 2:04:54 PM EDT
[#17]
It is, without a doubt, beautiful here.  Especially coming from prairie country.

At the rate the liberals are taking over, if I had the money, I'd find the most conservative governed state that was appealing and buy land as far away from the cities as possible.  

Georgia is on course to become the next Virginia if things continue as they are.  If we had real Republicans instead of RINO's they would be enshrining the liberals favorite targets before they get the majority.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 4:36:44 PM EDT
[#18]
FWIW the rezoned Fannin County just a few  years ago.
Blueridge is in Fannin Co, while Blairsville is in Union.
I was in Morganton right on the line I could stand with one leg in each county I was so close to the line.
My taxes almost tripled.  The further away from the city (Blueridge), the higher your taxes are is how the tax office explained it to me.  And if you're right on lake blue ridge, they really got smashed.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 5:17:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
FWIW the rezoned Fannin County just a few  years ago.
Blueridge is in Fannin Co, while Blairsville is in Union.
I was in Morganton right on the line I could stand with one leg in each county I was so close to the line.
My taxes almost tripled.  The further away from the city (Blueridge), the higher your taxes are is how the tax office explained it to me.  And if you're right on lake blue ridge, they really got smashed.
View Quote

One of the reasons locals begrudge newcomers is the increase in property values causing property taxes to spike.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 7:30:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

One of the reasons locals begrudge newcomers is the increase in property values causing property taxes to spike.  
View Quote

This x 1000000000000000000%.

Link Posted: 3/5/2022 9:55:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Yep, my taxes have gone up 2-300$ every year. We left jasper and moved to Walton, it’s ridiculous here with the growth
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 2:35:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I've had a cabin in Blue Ridge for 30 years now and I still love the hell out of that place!
Blue Ridge was something of a dead town back then with closed up store fronts but now the touristy places jam downtown.
Of course several breweries are nice!

The biggest changes that I've noticed besides a bustling downtown have been the obscene increases in home costs and an incredible increase in Florida license plates.
And the "q-tips" don't seem to drive any better than they do in FL when they scurry down there when they can't wear shorts anymore in N. GA!
Also, the Toccoa is pretty jammed now in the summer with bright colored tubers.
My son and I used to tube with some old patched truck inner tubes when we were pretty much it on the river over in Dial.  Progress on the Toccoa!

Just my thoughts on a lovely part of the state.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 6:39:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Northeast Alabama and Southeast TN. should be in play for you as well. I agree with my esteemed friend and think Ga. is an election or two from turning back to the democrats. 2 of the last 4 republican governors were democrats. Before these republicans you have to go to the 1800's to find a republican governor. The republicans here are weak and swampy. I have been looking at buying in our neighboring states of Alabama and Tennessee
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 9:02:13 AM EDT
[#24]
We lived in Canton and were looking to move further north in GA for retirement. We wanted 10+ acres. We quickly started looking on TN and north AL as pricing crazy in north GA. Also saw the flood of immigrants from Blue States. We ended up going completely different direction and bought acreage, newish house, and stocked pond in middle GA south of Milledgeville.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:33:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've had a cabin in Blue Ridge for 30 years now and I still love the hell out of that place!
Blue Ridge was something of a dead town back then with closed up store fronts but now the touristy places jam downtown.
Of course several breweries are nice!

The biggest changes that I've noticed besides a bustling downtown have been the obscene increases in home costs and an incredible increase in Florida license plates.
And the "q-tips" don't seem to drive any better than they do in FL when they scurry down there when they can't wear shorts anymore in N. GA!
Also, the Toccoa is pretty jammed now in the summer with bright colored tubers.
My son and I used to tube with some old patched truck inner tubes when we were pretty much it on the river over in Dial.  Progress on the Toccoa!

Just my thoughts on a lovely part of the state.
View Quote

How do you like that new beautiful hotel downtown? $10 to park? Screw Blue Ridge. I avoid downtown now. At least the Co Op doesn't have metered parking (yet).
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 4:12:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

How do you like that new beautiful hotel downtown? $10 to park? Screw Blue Ridge. I avoid downtown now. At least the Co Op doesn't have metered parking (yet).
View Quote

Please tell me Sue's Burgers survived the pandemic.  

Link Posted: 3/21/2022 7:57:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes, Sue's is still there. But there's so much traffic these days backing out onto the road is taking your life in your hands.

I'll go after 6 when the optician next door is closed and use their lot.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 12:12:17 AM EDT
[#28]
I left Atlanta and moved to Rabun county.. Love it here.. It has everything i need, and i'm close to WNC and the smokies too for great fly fishing. Blue Ridge is turning into Alpharetta north. I never liked it. Glad folks don't really know about the north east corner of GA, its much quieter and more old fashioned here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top