Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2023 10:16:06 PM EDT

Son is looking to move there. Any insight would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 1:05:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I have never been to that town but have visited several towns on the western edge of the Sierra Nevada.

Link to Wikipedia

I was touring the town via 'Street View" in Google Earth.  You can cover a lot of terrain quickly that way and get a sense of the physical environment.  You can also tell a lot aboout the people and quality of life - just look around.

Nothing comes close to an in-person visit but this type of research is good preparation for that.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 8:21:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have never been to that town but have visited several towns on the western edge of the Sierra Nevada.

Link to Wikipedia

I was touring the town via 'Street View" in Google Earth.  You can cover a lot of terrain quickly that way and get a sense of the physical environment.  You can also tell a lot aboout the people and quality of life - just look around.

Nothing comes close to an in-person visit but this type of research is good preparation for that.
View Quote

Appreciate that. Didn’t think about that tool.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 3:22:19 PM EDT
[#3]
My kid lives down the road in Jamestown. It's a nice little place with weirdo tweakers sprinkled all over. Depending on what your kid does for work, there might be a lot for him to do or not much for him to do. It's a very seasonal place too. The highway is jacked up during peak travel season. I like the place, not sure if I could live there though.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 1:50:41 AM EDT
[#4]
It is a pretty quiet corner along 49 that winds through the old gold rush towns and also sits along the western end of one of the few east west pass routes over the Sierra, 108 or Sonora Pass.
At the other end, there is a Marine Corps Mountain Warfare training base where the 108 meets 395.

It is also near where the 120 comes down from Yosemite. Towns up on the hill outside of Yosemite like Groveland and Pine Mountain Lake, would use Sonora for nearby shopping.

So, it is in a nice place and also near to some interesting places in the old Gold Country and near Yosemite.

If he can make a living there, I can think of much worse places to be.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 5:51:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice area.   Lots of little towns, old, narrow, windy roads, etc.  The highways can get busy especially during tourist season.  Not too far from some bigger cities/services in the valley if needed.  The old, historic Highway 49/Gold Country area is getting kind of gentrified in some places.  Not too densely populated. I have the feeling much of it tends to the "Red" side of things, although folks leaving the "big cities" to retire, etc., may temper some of that but I get the feeling a lot of the folks up there don't care how things were/are done in San Francisco, L.A. or Sacramento.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 2:36:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Nice area.   Lots of little towns, old, narrow, windy roads, etc.  The highways can get busy especially during tourist season.  Not too far from some bigger cities/services in the valley if needed.  The old, historic Highway 49/Gold Country area is getting kind of gentrified in some places.  Not too densely populated. I have the feeling much of it tends to the "Red" side of things, although folks leaving the "big cities" to retire, etc., may temper some of that but I get the feeling a lot of the folks up there don't care how things were/are done in San Francisco, L.A. or Sacramento.
View Quote

Murphys, not far from there is known as "little Los Gatos" to many people.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 1:11:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Just a reminder, which you likely do not need, that Zillow.com can give you a really good insight into rentals and purchased housing.

When I made my last move, I knew where to go, where to avoid, and what it would cost long before I arrived.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 9:29:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Murphys, not far from there is known as "little Los Gatos" to many people.
View Quote

My folks met some folks many years ago on a cruise.  Dinky little historic spot with old hotel then.  Apparently at the time it was a tradition to run down the main street naked at midnight.  I don't recall if it was New Years or St.  Patrick's Day.  A couple of years ago when we visited, it was gettig tony and local wine tastings were popular.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 2:54:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My folks met some folks many years ago on a cruise.  Dinky little historic spot with old hotel then.  Apparently at the time it was a tradition to run down the main street naked at midnight.  I don't recall if it was New Years or St.  Patrick's Day.  A couple of years ago when we visited, it was gettig tony and local wine tastings were popular.  
View Quote

Yea it's a swanky little wine town now. Really wild to see how that area has changed over the last 20 years or so.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 5:05:27 AM EDT
[#10]
There used to be a half-decent FFL, the Sportsman or something along those lines, right on the main street in town. Once upon a time, they had the least-outrageous cost near where I lived to do a shipped-in transfer. I think the last time I visited was...2014? 2013? So no idea if they're around. But they also seemed to have standard pricing on their stocked pieces.

I interviewed for a couple jobs in town there, years ago. Didn't get either, but got a strong "seasonal resort" vibe out of the place. Buddy's parents lived not too far away over in Copperopolis at the time.

But it's probably been 7-8 years since I was up there last. So don't take this as current info.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:11:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There used to be a half-decent FFL, the Sportsman or something along those lines, right on the main street in town. Once upon a time, they had the least-outrageous cost near where I lived to do a shipped-in transfer. I think the last time I visited was...2014? 2013? So no idea if they're around. But they also seemed to have standard pricing on their stocked pieces.

I interviewed for a couple jobs in town there, years ago. Didn't get either, but got a strong "seasonal resort" vibe out of the place. Buddy's parents lived not too far away over in Copperopolis at the time.

But it's probably been 7-8 years since I was up there last. So don't take this as current info.
View Quote

There's two FFL's basically across the street from each other there. The one is called Sierra Outfitters or something along those lines, and if you give an out of town vibe you're invisible.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top