Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2018 3:03:30 AM EDT
UPDATE:  Accepted the offer, now looking at houses.

Might be taking a job in the Mooresville area.  I've lived in other parts of NC before but this is one part of the state I know nothing about.  My potential employer has said it's sort of an "up and coming" area as there's a lot of nascar/indy money coming in.  Hows the housing market there?  Zillow seemed pretty dead, but it might just be because of the time of year.  Prices were a bit surprising but the last time I lived in NC was 7 years ago and I was stationed at Ft Bragg where housing was cheap.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:02:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Mooresville has been booming for several years now. Housing prices in Iredell County, in general are insane. Troutman, which is just to the north is going to be seeing a 19k home surge, and a 1k acre industrial park.

The growth just keeps spreading north out of Charlotte. The DOT is&has been spending huge money in Statesville as well.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:19:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Moved here from South Charlotte (Waxhaw) a little more than a year ago.  LOVE the area.   If you need a real estate agent, lmk.   Our experience with a local one was the best I've ever had;  and had plenty..
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 5:11:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I live in Mooresville. We've got good shopping options, decent restaurant choices, traffic sucks bad. Overall very happy there, just with the state would address 150. Its a nightmare at times.

Houses in our neighborhood (250-400K range) seem to sell quickly, and the prices keep increasing ~20K between sales it seems from watching them.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:15:26 PM EDT
[#4]
@watchngars send me your realtor's info.

I'll be working near 77 and 150 on the East side of the lake.  Is looking at housing to the West of Lake Norman near 150 any better or is it equally insane?  In an ideal world I'd like to be close enough that getting to a Harris Teeters is about a 15min drive.

From everything I've heard the area is really nice but developing quickly.  Personally I'd like to live somewhere, where I cannot weakly underhand toss a rock and hit my neighbors house.  I'm tired of living in what I call "suburban hell" with cookie cutter oversized homes on tiny lots.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:27:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I live off 150,  just east of the lake (150 bridge).    Either where I am, or over west of the lake would be great.  If I want to go to Charlotte, or south in general,  I can go 77 if I want.  But almost always go west, hit 16 and take that south.    Not much traffic, easy drive.    From where I am, it's 42 minutes to the airport, but I always go that westerly route.    Also,  I'm close to Harris Teeter,  but we can go west to a new Publix which is very nice.

Love the area.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 4:36:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Where are the good ranges in/around Lake Norman?  Any of them allow for distances longer than 100M?

What are transfer fees going for these days?  A lot of shops/kitchen table types or is it pretty sparse?
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:37:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where are the good ranges in/around Lake Norman?  Any of them allow for distances longer than 100M?

What are transfer fees going for these days?  A lot of shops/kitchen table types or is it pretty sparse?
View Quote
I like Point Blank in Mooresville, I do a lot of their small classes when I have time. Their transfer is $40, a bit high but its always professional. Some smaller local places also do transfers for less, but its hit and miss on ease and smoothness at times.

For regular shooting I vote to join and go to the FOP range in Iredell, you can get your own berm for pistol, or they have a ~110 yard rifle range, and a skeet thrower. There's a couple ranges a bit farther away with up to 250 yard rifle IIRC but I havent been.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 8:10:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I like Point Blank in Mooresville, I do a lot of their small classes when I have time. Their transfer is $40, a bit high but its always professional. Some smaller local places also do transfers for less, but its hit and miss on ease and smoothness at times.

For regular shooting I vote to join and go to the FOP range in Iredell, you can get your own berm for pistol, or they have a ~110 yard rifle range, and a skeet thrower. There's a couple ranges a bit farther away with up to 250 yard rifle IIRC but I havent been.
View Quote
Just as an FYI, T-Town Jewelry and Pawn, in downtown Troutman does transfers for $10. Think he averages 70 transfers a week, it’s a little hole in the wall, but the man will call you literally the second the box hits his hand. Absolutely amazing service.

ETA- it isn’t much of a pawn shop, think he specializes in transfers mostly.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 8:24:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just as an FYI, T-Town Jewelry and Pawn, in downtown Troutman does transfers for $10. Think he averages 70 transfers a week, it's a little hole in the wall, but the man will call you literally the second the box hits his hand. Absolutely amazing service.

ETA- it isn't much of a pawn shop, think he specializes in transfers mostly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just as an FYI, T-Town Jewelry and Pawn, in downtown Troutman does transfers for $10. Think he averages 70 transfers a week, it's a little hole in the wall, but the man will call you literally the second the box hits his hand. Absolutely amazing service.

ETA- it isn't much of a pawn shop, think he specializes in transfers mostly.
Nice to know.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 11:33:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Might be taking a job in the Mooresville area.  I've lived in other parts of NC before but this is one part of the state I know nothing about.  My potential employer has said it's sort of an "up and coming" area as there's a lot of nascar/indy money coming in.  Hows the housing market there?  Zillow seemed pretty dead, but it might just be because of the time of year.  Prices were a bit surprising but the last time I lived in NC was 7 years ago and I was stationed at Ft Bragg where housing was cheap.
View Quote
Don't use Zillow anywhere near the Charlotte area. It doesn't update fast enough and most of the time the house is under contract before you even see it on Zillow. Trulia was the app we used to find our house, much more up to date. Mooresville is OK, but 150 is very busy pretty much all the time, and during rush hour it really sucks. From 77 to cross Lake Norman in the West? Whew, that's a giant wait in traffic every night. Point Blank Range is in Mooresville on 150, really nice indoor range. Tons of places to eat. Not as much as Charlotte, but Charlotte isn't too far away to zip down for a night out. 77 into Charlotte sucks right now, but it is supposed to be getting better with additional lanes.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 10:06:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Lived in this area my whole life ( other than military) , I’d think long and hard about moving to this area. I foresee the whole area just turning into a suburb of Charlotte. All this growth has ruined the area for people who are from here as far as buying real estate . Just getting to crowded and expensive. I’ll be moving hopefully when I retire in two more years.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 9:07:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Lived in this area my whole life ( other than military) , I’d think long and hard about moving to this area. I foresee the whole area just turning into a suburb of Charlotte. All this growth has ruined the area for people who are from here as far as buying real estate . Just getting to crowded and expensive. I’ll be moving hopefully when I retire in two more years.
View Quote
Agreed. I live in Stony Point & work in Statesville. We avoid Mooresville at all cost, I think we have been down there once in the past year.  We generally go to Hickory as there is much better infrastructure there. Mooresville is a cluster fuck.

Truth be told, all of Iredell is pretty damn expensive. Even In rural north Iredell, land is 10k an acre. This is due to the yuppies&investors from mecklenburg and Mooresville buying land.  But in the end, when population grows exponentially, this will happen everywhere eventually.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 2:48:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Agreed. I live in Stony Point & work in Statesville. We avoid Mooresville at all cost, I think we have been down there once in the past year.  We generally go to Hickory as there is much better infrastructure there. Mooresville is a cluster fuck.

Truth be told, all of Iredell is pretty damn expensive. Even In rural north Iredell, land is 10k an acre. This is due to the yuppies&investors from mecklenburg and Mooresville buying land.  But in the end, when population grows exponentially, this will happen everywhere eventually.  
View Quote
Yep, I live up 115 N and land is outrageous. I purchased land down in S.C hopping I can prolong the invasion!
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 2:16:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Welp looks like it's official now.  I accepted the job offer and will be moving there in January.  Now the fun begins of trying to find a home .
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 2:21:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lived in this area my whole life ( other than military) , I'd think long and hard about moving to this area. I foresee the whole area just turning into a suburb of Charlotte. All this growth has ruined the area for people who are from here as far as buying real estate . Just getting to crowded and expensive. I'll be moving hopefully when I retire in two more years.

Compared to the Northern VA/DC area it's not expensive or bad with traffic at all.  If I had my druthers I'd live out further away in a more rural area but my wife is driving the "live near civilization" train.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 11:45:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Howdy neighbor.  I live in Stony Point, work in Salisbury.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 3:24:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Any of you happen to know where the "city limits" areas of Mooresville happen to be?  I noticed most of the properties on the West side of 77 have taxes roughly half as much as anything on the East side.  Guessing it has to do with being inside the city vs outside the city but I may be incorrect on that assumption.

I did drive down on Friday with a truck and trailer load of crap to put into storage, and drove back on Saturday afternoon after unloading.  From what little I saw of the town I can see calling this place home for a while.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 10:37:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Any of you happen to know where the "city limits" areas of Mooresville happen to be?  I noticed most of the properties on the West side of 77 have taxes roughly half as much as anything on the East side.  Guessing it has to do with being inside the city vs outside the city but I may be incorrect on that assumption.

I did drive down on Friday with a truck and trailer load of crap to put into storage, and drove back on Saturday afternoon after unloading.  From what little I saw of the town I can see calling this place home for a while.
View Quote
You can see the town limits on google maps pretty well, there's a slight difference in the shade of grey that shows the town limit.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 9:06:59 PM EDT
[#19]
There's a lot worse places to live.

Welcome BTW.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top