Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2022 10:42:44 AM EDT
I read a few comments on other threads, but thought I'd throw this out there for feedback.

My son is graduating college and accepted a job in Boise.  He's VERY excited, of course.  His goal was to remain in the MT, ID, WY, UT area, so the offer in ID was very welcome.  I've never been there, nor has he.

I know home pricing is expensive.  He'll be renting, hopefully saving his $$$$, and starting his career.  

He's a skier/cyclist/climber/outdoorsy kid.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 1:50:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I read a few comments on other threads, but thought I'd throw this out there for feedback.

My son is graduating college and accepted a job in Boise.  He's VERY excited, of course.  His goal was to remain in the MT, ID, WY, UT area, so the offer in ID was very welcome.  I've never been there, nor has he.

I know home pricing is expensive.  He'll be renting, hopefully saving his $$$$, and starting his career.  

He's a skier/cyclist/climber/outdoorsy kid.
View Quote

From my experience and mind you I avoid Boise, it's a small city that tries really hard to be a lefty college town. They try extra hard to be liberal edgy but ID is very red and even in Boise a lot of the people are staunch conservatives.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 3:39:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

From my experience and mind you I avoid Boise, it's a small city that tries really hard to be a lefty college town. They try extra hard to be liberal edgy but ID is very red and even in Boise a lot of the people are staunch conservatives.
View Quote

OP, as much as I like joe_sun, I don’t agree with him. It’s got it lefty tendencies like any larger city these days but nowhere close to its neighbors like Seattle or Portland. Or even Spokane for that matter. The typical bullshit like pride flags and the once a year pride parade is there. The occasional lefty protest at the capital building is there too. But the major stuff like trash, needles, feces, homeless, blm, antifa, etc is pretty much non-existent. How do I know? I’ve lived here for over 20 years and I work smack dab in the middle of downtown.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 4:15:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds good - thanks for the input.

In a way, it's a moot point - he's going one way or another.  If it sucks (for him), he can always move on at some point.

I'm looking forward to checking it out, getting him moved in, and seeing him get started in life!
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 6:45:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

OP, as much as I like joe_sun, I don’t agree with him. It’s got it lefty tendencies like any larger city these days but nowhere close to its neighbors like Seattle or Portland. Or even Spokane for that matter. The typical bullshit like pride flags and the once a year pride parade is there. The occasional lefty protest at the capital building is there too. But the major stuff like trash, needles, feces, homeless, blm, antifa, etc is pretty much non-existent. How do I know? I’ve lived here for over 20 years and I work smack dab in the middle of downtown.
View Quote

No, you and I are on the exact same page. When I mention they try really hard to be a lefty town that's exactly what I'm talking about, all the flags and homeless protest etc. but it's still nothing like San Fran or Portland. I was trying to say they try really hard to be more liberal than they are but it's still a safe, clean place. I just don't go there because it's too far and I don't like the traffic. Should have mentioned that as well. I just did a crappy job explaining it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 8:58:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

No, you and I are on the exact same page. When I mention they try really hard to be a lefty town that's exactly what I'm talking about, all the flags and homeless protest etc. but it's still nothing like San Fran or Portland. I was trying to say they try really hard to be more liberal than they are but it's still a safe, clean place. I just don't go there because it's too far and I don't like the traffic. Should have mentioned that as well. I just did a crappy job explaining it.
View Quote

Haha my bad man! Ya overall it’s pretty good and a place to visit and check out if you like bigger cities. For me, I don’t venture there ever outside of work because Meridian and Nampa offer me everything I need.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 6:46:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sounds good - thanks for the input.

In a way, it's a moot point - he's going one way or another.  If it sucks (for him), he can always move on at some point.

I'm looking forward to checking it out, getting him moved in, and seeing him get started in life!
View Quote

If you or your son have any questions or concerns, either of you would be welcome to talk with me.  You or he can message me from here.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 9:53:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks @hanko.  Very nice of you.  I'll reach out as we get closer.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 3:09:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Spokane is more commie than Boise? Truth be told, I've never been there, but that was not my impression. From what I've heard Boise is somewhat of a commie stronghold in Idaho.

I just left Spokane in December and aside from being inside Inslee's freedom, Spokane is not so bad. I would say lefty tendencies are shunned there by and large.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 4:28:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Boise is a commie stronghold, but there is a reason we keep them lined up against the mountains.  

However, one thing I have noticed and something that throws people off.  Most people around here, even left leaners, tend towards MYOB.  This is a lot different than many places I have lived and a great thing IMHO.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 9:56:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Congrats on your son graduating. If I recall, he is a bobcat.

PM if you want more info. Wife and I live in the area and are also alumni.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 5:34:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Congrats on your son graduating. If I recall, he is a bobcat.

PM if you want more info. Wife and I live in the area and are also alumni.
View Quote

Thanks 3.141592654x

He had a buddy with a house he was going to rent a room, but that fell through so he's going to start looking for a rental.  His job is on the S side of town by the airport.  Is there a certain area to avoid?  If he works south but lives North or something, is the commute bad?
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 8:23:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Update:

Son drove up, looked at some rentals for him and his buddy a few weeks ago.  They talked about it for a day, and all were rented two days later!  Common, these days!

He ended up renting an apartment in Meridian.  Moved in, flew back home to CO for a few weeks, then starts work in June.

He's loving it in ID, so far.  

Thanks for the advice, guys.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:47:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Spokane is more commie than Boise? Truth be told, I've never been there, but that was not my impression. From what I've heard Boise is somewhat of a commie stronghold in Idaho.

I just left Spokane in December and aside from being inside Inslee's freedom, Spokane is not so bad. I would say lefty tendencies are shunned there by and large.
View Quote

The politics is where the truth lies, & Spokane is on the road to ruin that the coastal urbs have plied. I have it on word from people who were born & raised in Spokane that the place is as left leaning as anything coming out of Shitattle. Spokane & Whitman counties both approved the "illegal transfer" law that made it illegal to to just even hand a gun to a friend (a "transfer") to just shoot at the range. You wouldn't think it would be true based on appearances & day-to-day occurrences, but there it is.

ID seems to be facing the political countercultural, camel's-nose-under-the-tent tactic, & local governments will be compelled to oblige it. I can see a relentless strategy to effect a 1-2 decade cultural shift being gamed here if the citizens just let it happen without a peep. Silence is what the left counts on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top