Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2019 3:18:07 PM EDT
I am an I.T. Profesional and kinda kicking the tires on a job in Baton Rouge that starts at about 65K and is for the state.

I live in AZ now, but I a moved here from the Midwest 3 years ago so I am used to tornadoes and 100+ with high humidity. I have a good friend who lives in Metairie that I have visited many times so I am wondering about living there.

- Is the city Liberal or conservative-leaning with the college being there?
- How is the crime in Baton Rouge - can I CCW there
- Are people friendly and open to outsiders?  I like to hunt and fish and shoot! I came from a small town where a person would never be accepted if they weren't from there.
- How are taxes on income, property, and vehicles? AZ vehicle insurance is pretty high and we pay @ $1100 a year full coverage for 2 vehicles.
- Is housing in decent neighborhoods available and affordable? Looking on Zillow it seems like some nice homes are available for the 175K range

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 7:13:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I lived in Phoenix for several years and now live just outside of Baton Rouge. They really aren't that different as far as cities are concerned. Pros and cons of either. If you're from a small town in Arizona, you may not like the lack of accessible land here

The crime is no worse than Phoenix and the people are about the same. It's about what you would expect, more Hispanics in Arizona and more Blacks in Louisiana. I treat all people the same so there's no real difference to me.

When I lived in Phoenix(really Cave Creek), it was easier to go out into the desert to walk around and sometimes hunt. It may not be like that today or it might not really be your thing but I liked doing it.

Hurricanes aren't really a problem in BR. Neither is flooding unless something unusual happens or you're in a bad spot

Hunting is a land use issue and I have no idea what you want to hunt or how aggressively you want to pursue it.

I originally wanted to live in a rural part of Mississippi just for the hunting but things didn't go as planned

Where you live in BR will make all the difference. You said it's a state job? Where at in BR?. I assume you would want to live somewhat close to work. This will make a big difference in how you like BR

Personally, I would want to be on the North side or Northwest side
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top