Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2018 4:34:20 PM EDT
I may have a new job opportunity in Huntsville with a defense contractor. Huntsville was not on my radar but my resume lines up pretty well with the position.

I don't need schools, but I do need activities. Give me the lowdown. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 4:54:49 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're the outdoors type there's many trails and parks from Tuscumbia over to Scottsboro and down to Cullman. There's a fair amount of hunting to be had too, but the public land isn't that great in my experience.
We have an array of gun shops, ranging from little holes in the wall to Larry's, which is the big dog gun store in the area.
The bar and live entertainment scene is increasing greatly. Downtown Huntsville has anything you'd want in terms of hanging out or having a good time.
There's several venues that have all sorts of events and concerts too if you're into that- the VBC, Side Tracks, Sammy T's, and Stand Up Live come to mind.
Huntsville and Madison have come a long way in the past several years. We've gained a whole lot of new businesses and activities to accommodate the rising population. There's just about any store or restaurant you could want, but if there isn't, Nashville isn't but 99 miles up I-65. We are getting new industries and businesses by the day it seems, and that will only further improve the area.
Huntsville is in a very good location if you want to get anywhere fairly quickly. Nashville, Birmingham, Chattanooga, and Atlanta all aren't too far.
I've lived just a few minutes west of Huntsville my whole life, and have no problem staying entertained and I love the area.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I know we have several on the forum here that live in the area, you should have no problem getting an answer.
Here's an early welcome to the area, we will be glad to have you
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 5:00:23 PM EDT
[#2]
You’re not far from Lake Guntersville, Smith Lake in Cullman, Lake Wheeler outside of Huntsville, Wilson and Pickwick to the east of Huntsville that are part of the Tennessee River.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 8:54:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I've lived in the Hsv area since 1990.  North AL, SC TN is one of the best places in the country to live, work and raise kids (if you have any).

Depending on your interests:

- Hunting deer season: Sat. before Thanksgiving to the end of Jan. (might even be longer but haven't hunted in AL in a while).  Limits are like 2 doe - per day.

- Hog hunting 365 days in the Bankhead NF, about an hour and a half west of Hsv, south of Moulton.  Limited hog hunting inside the Black Warrior WMA, which is inside the BNF.

- As mentioned lots of opportunities for hiking in the area.  Probably the best:  The Walls of Jericho.

- The beer brewing scene has exploded since 2013 when home brewing was legalized.  Rocket Republic, Yellowhammer, Salty Nut, Straight To Ale, Campus 805 (former elementary school transformed into a brewery) - there's tons of them around here.

- Lots of distilleries as well, starting with, of course, Jack Daniels (about 50 miles NE of Hsv).  There are two other distilleries in Lincoln county TN (county north of Hsv) and one in Giles county TN (county north of Athens/Decatur).

- No pro football in AL (FNFL) so college football rules all during the fall.  You'll be forced to choose:  Roll Tide or War Eagle.  Sorry.

- Lots of canoeing/kayaking opportunities:  TN River, Paint Rock River, Flint River, Elk River (TN and AL).  @axl is the Arfcom SME on kayaking in north AL.

Except for the brewery business above, I don't do bars or concerts or music stuff, so can't help there.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:54:18 PM EDT
[#4]
If you like baseball, Madison is about to get a Minor League team, the Rocket City Trash Pandas.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 7:07:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Where are the good ranges? Where can a guy shoot 600-1000 yards?
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 9:45:45 PM EDT
[#6]
600 range at CMP South range in Talladega.

Brock’s Gap has a long rifle range, don’t know what distance. It is in Hoover.

Wish I knew of something closer.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 1:47:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Strategic edge is an amazing range and has 1200yd ranges.  It's in lewisberg, tn and is about $100/yr if you live in Huntsville(ask about long distance discount if they don't mention when you join).  About an hour drive from north huntsville.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 4:55:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've lived in the Hsv area since 1990.  North AL, SC TN is one of the best places in the country to live, work and raise kids (if you have any).

Depending on your interests:

- Hunting deer season: Sat. before Thanksgiving to the end of Jan. (might even be longer but haven't hunted in AL in a while).  Limits are like 2 doe - per day.

- Hog hunting 365 days in the Bankhead NF, about an hour and a half west of Hsv, south of Moulton.  Limited hog hunting inside the Black Warrior WMA, which is inside the BNF.

- As mentioned lots of opportunities for hiking in the area.  Probably the best:  The Walls of Jericho.

- The beer brewing scene has exploded since 2013 when home brewing was legalized.  Rocket Republic, Yellowhammer, Salty Nut, Straight To Ale, Campus 805 (former elementary school transformed into a brewery) - there's tons of them around here.

- Lots of distilleries as well, starting with, of course, Jack Daniels (about 50 miles NE of Hsv).  There are two other distilleries in Lincoln county TN (county north of Hsv) and one in Giles county TN (county north of Athens/Decatur).

- No pro football in AL (FNFL) so college football rules all during the fall.  You'll be forced to choose:  Roll Tide or War Eagle.  Sorry.

- Lots of canoeing/kayaking opportunities:  TN River, Paint Rock River, Flint River, Elk River (TN and AL).  @axl is the Arfcom SME on kayaking in north AL.

Except for the brewery business above, I don't do bars or concerts or music stuff, so can't help there.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
View Quote
I've lived here since 1970 and everything Merlin said is spot on.  Not to mention the cost of living here is very tolerable.  Not sure where you'd be coming from but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 11:16:08 PM EDT
[#9]
My interview is on the 26th with a big defense contractor. See y'all then.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 6:26:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Who with?

I just accepted a job down there for one as well.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 6:31:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Born and raised just north of Huntsville except for the 5 years I was in the Marines. Merlin is spot on. As a late 20s guy downtown has some good places to go on the weekends.  Beer breweries are great for after work or dinner. Topgolf is a blast even if you aren't a golfer. Nashville, Birmingham, and Chattanooga are within 2 hours. There is always something to do in Huntsville or surrounding areas.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 9:10:12 PM EDT
[#12]
My wife likes to play guitar in her free time and would likely go to open mic nights to find a band. She plays many styles and is currently in a country band. She'd be looking for rock, pop, country, and some jazz. Her metal days are over. What's the scene like and how well received would an older woman be?

BTW, she is the lead guitar player.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 9:10:43 PM EDT
[#13]
. . .
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 10:04:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My wife likes to play guitar in her free time and would likely go to open mic nights to find a band. She plays many styles and is currently in a country band. She'd be looking for rock, pop, country, and some jazz. Her metal days are over. What's the scene like and how well received would an older woman be?

View Quote
I know they do an open mic night downtown at The Kaffeeklatsch but not sure of the schedule.  One of my customers is a 50ish year old OB/GYN here in town and he's always down there jamming with some of the local blues musicians.  He's damn good.  I'll get in touch with him this week and see what he knows about other such venues.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 7:14:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Try these guys:   http://www.rocketrepublicbrewing.com/tap-room/

My wife and I were there a couple weeks ago on a Sat night.  They had some guy playing guitar.  It looked like it was set up for a band.  They're in West Madison, just east of County Line Road.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 4:53:01 PM EDT
[#16]
The crime stats are not very complimentary.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 4:04:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you like baseball, Madison is about to get a Minor League team, the Rocket City Trash Pandas.
View Quote
I am here today and I learned a Trash Panda is a racoon.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 9:27:07 PM EDT
[#18]
What are the rules for shooting in the national forests in Alabama? Is it limited to an organized and dedicated range? Can you cite chapter and verse of the law that stipulates this (or refutes it)?

I lived in Colorado for 25 years and if there were any rules that limited shooting to organized ranges, I never knew them and no one ever claimed there were any. I shot anywhere I chose as long as I had an adequate backstop.

This link provides indeterminate information.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 4:35:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What are the rules for shooting in the national forests in Alabama? Is it limited to an organized and dedicated range? Can you cite chapter and verse of the law that stipulates this (or refutes it)?

I lived in Colorado for 25 years and if there were any rules that limited shooting to organized ranges, I never knew them and no one ever claimed there were any. I shot anywhere I chose as long as I had an adequate backstop.

View Quote
I'm not even sure how it works in AL. I grew up in MS and moved to Huntsville 2 years ago.

Skyline WMA Range has pistol and rifle range. Rifle range is 0-200 yards. Pistol range is 50 I think. You police yourself no range officer.

You'll need at minimum a fishing or hunting license to shoot at the range. The game warden will check for valid license if he shows up.

I'm up near Meridianville, AL, but have a Huntsville address. I'm not in the city limits, but in the county.

I can be anywhere in Huntsville within 15 minutes. Madison, AL is growing like crazy, but traffic is worse and takes forever getting anywhere. I can be at the airport in 20-25 minutes.

Huntsville population is expected to overtake Birmingham shortly.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 8:48:30 AM EDT
[#20]
In Colorado, I walk into the national forest, select an open space with a backstop (like a hillside), shoot at any distance for the day, don't show a ranger a permit of any kind, clean up after myself, and go home.

My rifles can't even breath at 200 yards. My hobby will evaporate on short ranges.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 9:51:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
The largest NF near Hsv, is Bankhead NF.  It's about 45 miles west south of Moulton.  It has it's own rifle range, called Hurricane Ridge Range (I call it the Wren Range since it's about 13 miles south of Wren.

You have to buy a WMA stamp or license, not much $$, hence no need to not buy it.  An AL hunting license will work as well.

Bottom line, I would shoot on the range.  I've never seen a "plinking" spot on Bankhead.

Swan Creek range is a little closer between Athens and Decatur near Tanner, AL.  Go during the week, not weekend.

There's a private pistol, 100 yard rifle and 260 yard rifle range north of the border.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 2:17:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Bankhead is 181,000 acres. Why would you stick to a designated range?

What rules and regulations prohibit anyone from shooting in the national forest wilderness?

I asked the same of the ranger district in Washington National Forest here in VA. The guy never called me back. I suspect there are rules, and then there are "locally unverifiable customs" masquerading as rules.

Maybe I'll just drive up to Washingtoon, DC and walk into the USFS office.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 2:10:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Bankhead is 181,000 acres. Why would you stick to a designated range?

What rules and regulations prohibit anyone from shooting in the national forest wilderness?

I asked the same of the ranger district in Washington National Forest here in VA. The guy never called me back. I suspect there are rules, and then there are "locally unverifiable customs" masquerading as rules.

Maybe I'll just drive up to Washingtoon, DC and walk into the USFS office.
View Quote
Lack of safe shooting places i.e. places with berms with no trails or ATV trails behind them.

I know of one place, it's the old range about 10 miles north of the current one; a former gravel or borrow pit.  However: it's a) in the Black Warrior WMA and b) a main trail into the Sipsey Wilderness runs right behind the berm/gravel pit walls.

Then there's the problem of "shooters" messing the area up with their crap.  See Swan Creek for an example.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 9:41:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not exactly sure what you are hinting at with that statement. I am a native Huntsvillian and the worst of Huntsville would hardly rate as bad in a City like Atlanta, or Birmingham. We spend most of our local news talking about weather and potholes, not crime.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 10:09:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Antoine Dodson ‘Hide Yo Kids, Hide Yo Wife’ Interview (Original)
Quoted:

Not exactly sure what you are hinting at with that statement. I am a native Huntsvillian and the worst of Huntsville would hardly rate as bad in a City like Atlanta, or Birmingham. We spend most of our local news talking about weather and potholes, not crime.
View Quote
I thought it was obvious:
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 10:17:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzNhaLUT520I thought it was obvious:
View Quote
Okay, okay...deserved that. At least we don't have Florida Man here.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 10:22:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No hints needed. Huntsville calls attention to itself in the FBI Crime Statistics. Fo' real.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 10:41:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
No hints needed. Huntsville calls attention to itself in the FBI Crime Statistics. Fo' real.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is it me or is Birmingham missing from that table?
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 2:01:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Birmingham is missing and I don't know why.

Huntsville:
#1 in Violent Crime
#1 in Rape
#1 in Aggravated assault
#1 in Motor Vehicle Theft
#2 in Larceny-theft
#2 in Property Crime
#3 in Burglary
#3 in Murder and non-negligent manslaughter
#3 in Robbery
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 11:55:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Huntsville:
#1 in Violent Crime
#1 in Rape
#1 in Aggravated assault
#2 in Larceny-theft
#2 in Property Crime
#3 in Burglary
#3 in Robbery
View Quote
Are those rankings per capita?
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 12:32:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huntsville:
#1 in Violent Crime
#1 in Rape
#1 in Aggravated assault
#2 in Larceny-theft
#2 in Property Crime
#3 in Burglary
#3 in Robbery
Those rankings are in absolute numbers.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 6:27:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Dividing # of violent crimes by population puts HSV at # 42.

I've lived in the HSV area for 17+ years and did not personally know, or had interacted with, anyone that has been a victim of a violent crime until Friday.  Someone I met once at work 10 years ago was killed in a murder/suicide yesterday in what appears to be a domestic situation.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:02:09 PM EDT
[#33]
As far as I know, the CMP range and Strategic Edge will be your best option for any kind of distance shooting unless you happen to buy a large enough parcel to have your own range on.  The range at Bankhead only goes out to 100 yards if I am not mistaken.  I am waiting for a response from their ranger station to find out more info.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 9:06:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
As far as I know, the CMP range and Strategic Edge will be your best option for any kind of distance shooting unless you happen to buy a large enough parcel to have your own range on.  The range at Bankhead only goes out to 100 yards if I am not mistaken.  I am waiting for a response from their ranger station to find out more info.
View Quote
The Bankhead NF range (Hurricane Ridge or Wren Rifle Range) only goes to 100 as you said.

The Swan Creek range in Tanner (between Decatur and Athens) goes to 200 100 yards.

The Skyline Range near Skyline, Al in north Jackson county goes to 200 yards, as mentioned above.

There is a 1000 yard range at the Arnold Engineering Development Center near Tullahoma, but it's only open during formal matches.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:16:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The Swan Creek range in Tanner (between Decatur and Athens) goes to 200 yards.
View Quote
Swan creek is 100yd.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:53:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I've lived in the HSV area for 17+ years and did not personally know, or had interacted with, anyone that has been a victim of a violent crime until Friday.  Someone I met once at work 10 years ago was killed in a murder/suicide yesterday in what appears to be a domestic situation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is how to get statistics to shade the truth. Take some small cities that have a few crimes and make it per capita, as if crime in general were evenly distributed across the entire population and then state that the large population center is below the mean.

McIntosh had 3 violent crimes with a population of 224.
Huntsville had 1,787 violent crimes with a population of 192,587.

I guess that makes McIntosh pretty damn violent.

BTW, it looks like I won't get the gig down there. I'll just have to keep my conservative vote and my guns in Virginia for now.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 11:04:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

BTW, it looks like I won't get the gig down there. I'll just have to keep my conservative vote and my guns in Virginia for now.
View Quote
Sorry to hear that. But your vote is needed more there than here right now....
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 12:07:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Swan creek is 100yd.
View Quote
You're right, my bad.  
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 4:25:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Most of the crime is in NORTH Huntsville. Move to South East Huntsville, Blossomwood area or Madison and you are good. Plenty of other nice areas too.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 1:53:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Most of the crime statistics for Huntsville are going to be skewed.  Anytime a crime is committed it is classified under a specific code and if it can be downgraded it to make things look less serious then it will, speaking from experience.  Also if a way can be found to file something as a miscellaneous incident instead of an actual crime report then they will do that too, that way there is no statistic.

North Huntsville has a lot of lower income areas and higher drug and violence crimes.  South Huntsville is hit with more property crimes, same for any area where the residents are doing better economically.  Poor people don't steal from poor people because they don't have anything to steal, hence the different criminal activity in each area of town.  There are drug arrests or drug related arrests daily, both misdemeanor and felony, in every part of town.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 5:13:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
There are drug arrests or drug related arrests daily, both misdemeanor and felony, in every part of town.
View Quote
Not really...  I technically live in HSV but am also in Limestone County.  No major crime here.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:42:45 AM EDT
[#42]
I didn't mean to malign Huntsville with what I found. When the job opportunity popped up, my wife looked into crime stats. She didn't use the FBI data, but probably used some other bland source. That's how this part of the conversation started.

Carry on. I would have been there if the cards fell right.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top