Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2024 1:19:20 PM EDT
Hello gents,
My FIL (exFIL actually) is a really good guy, but extremely not tech savvy. He got hit by some malware on his Mac that's got him locked down. I'm not super familiar with Mac so can't really help him especially since I'm not local to him. I see that Discrete Computer Repair and Techbros both seem to have good reviews, but I was hoping for some first hand accounts here to help make sure he doesn't get screwed.
Any recs would be appreciated
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 10:01:25 PM EDT
[#1]
No experience with either of them.  

Data Doctors used to have a radio show in Phx and still runs a column in the paper from time to time.  They have a number of locations in the area.  

No direct experience with them so do some Yelp / BBB research.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 12:28:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By pbystreetgang:
No experience with either of them.  

Data Doctors used to have a radio show in Phx and still runs a column in the paper from time to time.  They have a number of locations in the area.  

No direct experience with them so do some Yelp / BBB research.
View Quote

That's the plan, thought I'd give it a shot here first though. Appreciate it!
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:28:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Apple Store might be able to help for free
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:51:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By mojeb21:
View Quote

Didn't even think about that, I'll pass it on.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:57:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PatriotAr15] [#5]
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:
Originally Posted By mojeb21:

Make sure he gets a second opinion if they try to convince him he needs a whole new computer. Apple is known for dropping warranty support arbitrarily, and insisting customers "LOL just buy a new one bro".

I wouldn't put it past the jackasses at the "Genius Bar" telling him his Malware problem is his fault, and "unrepairable".

Not saying not to go to the "Genius Bar", as he might luckout and actually get help for free. Just warning you, that they've been known to try to use these kind of opportunities to sell you on buying a new one.

If you've read Brave New World, you'd find Apple's manner of doing business to be very similar to the high-disposability economy in that book.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:01:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, I'll pass that on as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top