Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2018 12:10:06 PM EDT
Hi guys. Thinking about buying a house in Florida in the Tampa area. Can you guys fill me in on the areas to avoid in or near Tampa as well as neighborhoods or suburbs that are good.

I don't mind a 20-30 drive to get to the city and my budget is $180,000.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 6:12:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I lived in Tampa area since I was 1 year old (will be 50 in May) and bought a house in December 2016.  We ended up buying in Land O Lakes which is just North of Tampa and got a lot more home for our money. We looked a quite a few homes in Tampa but lost were built in the 70’s and 80’s and were between $300-350K and would have needed a lot of cosmetic work for what we were looking for and size.  We ended up finding a home built in 2002 that is 4 BR., 3 full bath, an office, 3 car garage and a built in screened pool in a nice subdivision for just under the lower priced ones in Tampa and it did the need any work.

My cousin is a realtor on the east coast of Florida and referred us to a great realtor over here.

Areas to avoid in Tampa is the east side and north east. A lot of crappy neighborhoods and drugs.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 7:18:50 PM EDT
[#2]
My parents live in Wesley Chapel, and it's a nice area. 20 min north of the city off 75.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 2:17:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Pasco County home prices don't look that bad, north of Pinellas.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 2:32:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you retired? If not any idea of the general area you will be commuting to and the time of the commute? Rush hour traffic here is a nightmare.

I'm down in Palma Ceia, great location but prices down here are down right nuts.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 4:27:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm outside of Plant City, country living and about the same commute to downtown as Pasco, Wesley Chapel, and Brandon.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 10:26:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm outside of Plant City, country living and about the same commute to downtown as Pasco, Wesley Chapel, and Brandon.
View Quote
Thanks guys. I'll look into those neighborhoods.
Im mainly concerned with affordability and safe/clean neighborhoods. I don't mind a commute of 30-45 minutes. But 1+ hours is too far.

What's the deal with St Petes, is that a good area or is it ghetto land?

To me Brandon and Land O Lakes seem pretty good price wise. St Petes looks convenient for being close to the beaches but I'm curious of the area, safety ect.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 10:55:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Im mainly concerned with affordability and safe/clean neighborhoods. I don't mind a commute of 30-45 minutes. But 1+ hours is too far.

To me Brandon and Land O Lakes seem pretty good price wise. St Petes looks convenient for being close to the beaches but I'm curious of the area, safety ect.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

St. Pete is mostly good.  Definitely areas you want to avoid, but the "reputation" some areas have is unwarranted.

I'll send you a PM with my #.

<------Realtor down here.
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 12:36:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
St. Pete is mostly good.  Definitely areas you want to avoid, but the "reputation" some areas have is unwarranted.

I'll send you a PM with my #.

<------Realtor down here.
View Quote
Thank you Nick!

Can anyone tell me about damage or danger from hurricanes out in the suburbs like Brandon?

If a hurricane hits Tampa is it likely to flood in Brandon,would I need to evacuate? I mean if a big one like Katrina hit the Tampa area would my place get destroyed in Brandon? I googled the elevation in Brandon and it was the same as Tampa but I know it's about 15 miles from Tampa.

Also shat about shooting ranges are there any outdoor public/rural shooting spots?

@Twitchy @Everyone

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 9:18:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Brandon = crazy traffic!
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 6:20:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Brandon = crazy traffic!
View Quote
What does that mean exactly? If I gotta be at work in Tampa at 6am do I need to leave Brandon at 2am? Or do you just mean a 20 min drive takes an hour during peak traffic?

Please elaborate on the realistic travel time averages during rush hour.
Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 9:28:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I lived in Brandon for a few months.  It took me 45-60 min to get to the Westshore area leaving around 630-640ish in the am.  It will take you an hour to drive around the 2 mile mall parking lot on the wkend.  I would like at other parts of Tampa than Brandon.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 11:09:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I lived in Brandon for a few months.  It took me 45-60 min to get to the Westshore area leaving around 630-640ish in the am.  It will take you an hour to drive around the 2 mile mall parking lot on the wkend.  I would like at other parts of Tampa than Brandon.
View Quote
It's ok, honestly I don't mind the traffic if it means I can get a better house / neighborhood. With my budget anything closer in I'll be in da hood. Leaving early and getting home late sucks but my experience has been that farther out usually means better quality of life for those non rich folks such as myself.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 12:51:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Brandon = crazy traffic!
View Quote
I've lived in the Brandon area for 14 years as an adult and for about 10 before that as a kid. Stay away from Brandon Blvd.(AKA SR 60, AKA Adamo Dr.) and you should be alright. There's a lot of back streets to take to get around most of it. I officially live in Valrico, just east of Brandon. Just bought a new bigger house last year. Pretty affordable and safe. Within an hour of Orlando and the beach. Certain parts have a lot of trees that could cause some damage during storms, but generally not bad. Pay attention to some of the flood zones.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 12:53:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What does that mean exactly? If I gotta be at work in Tampa at 6am do I need to leave Brandon at 2am? Or do you just mean a 20 min drive takes an hour during peak traffic?

Please elaborate on the realistic travel time averages during rush hour.
Thank you.
View Quote
My wife works in downtown and can get there on the expressway in 30 to 45 minutes in the morning. Afternoons are a little worse, but you can figure out which ways work best. Not too bad.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 3:11:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

My wife works in downtown and can get there on the expressway in 30 to 45 minutes in the morning. Afternoons are a little worse, but you can figure out which ways work best. Not too bad.
View Quote
Thank you man, much appreciated!

Link Posted: 4/6/2018 8:58:04 PM EDT
[#16]
It takes my wife 1 hour to get to downtown Tampa from Land O Lakes.  She doesn’t leave our house until 8 am though.  My commute is about 60 feet to my home office
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 12:00:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It takes my wife 1 hour to get to downtown Tampa from Land O Lakes.  She doesn’t leave our house until 8 am though.  My commute is about 60 feet to my home office
View Quote
Nice, that is pretty convenient for ya! What do you do from home?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top