Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2022 11:21:58 AM EDT
please turn off the lights.

Sold the farm and just signed a purchase agreement on a new house...a new house in another state.  Fifty years in this rotting cesspool of a state and I'm finally uprooting my family and leaving.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 12:06:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Where ya headed?
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 12:17:34 PM EDT
[#2]
South central IA
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 12:23:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
South central IA
View Quote

5 years ago today was my last morning as an IL resident. Already had the wife moved to Des Moines and I loaded the last of my stuff into my car, drove north on 74 until I crossed that big river and headed west. One of the best days of my life

Congratulations, I love it here; I hope you will as well.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 11:08:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Congrats OP. We just bought  a small place in central gulf area of Florida. Getting  the illinois home ready to sell.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 7:29:36 AM EDT
[#5]
We left Illinois for the Missouri Ozarks a couple years ago. Probably one of the best decisions we ever made.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 11:30:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Moved to Ohio 2 years ago never looked back. Saving $15k a year in taxes and "fees". Open Carry, Constitutional Carry, NFA, Same day firearms...Way less traffic...
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 7:48:34 PM EDT
[#7]
My family is all Chicago based, on both sides. Unfortunately my mom is pretty set on staying at their home, it's next to a marsh in a nice safe town about an hour west of Chicago. My closest friends are across the country now. Wish we could come to a consensus to all pack our bags. Good luck to you.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 9:44:55 PM EDT
[#8]
My wife and I left Illinois 3 and 1/2 years ago upon my retirement. I like it here in Tennessee but my wife does not for a plethora of reasons, being called a "Yankee" not the least of them. So we started looking for a place in Illinois again but whoa those property taxes. There is no way to afford that again. We might look further north in Tennessee or maybe Kentucky but not Illinois. On a side note, I just had a correspondence with Alderman John Arena (retired) from Chicago and he was not so kind to people who left Illinois for greener pastures, I might make a post about it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 10:29:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My wife and I left Illinois 3 and 1/2 years ago upon my retirement. I like it here in Tennessee but my wife does not for a plethora of reasons, being called a "Yankee" not the least of them. So we started looking for a place in Illinois again but whoa those property taxes. There is no way to afford that again. We might look further north in Tennessee or maybe Kentucky but not Illinois. On a side note, I just had a correspondence with Alderman John Arena (retired) from Chicago and he was not so kind to people who left Illinois for greener pastures, I might make a post about it.
View Quote

The overlords hate it when you don't comply, don't they?

Where in TN are you? We're near Crossville, and as soon as folks find out your not a leftie they're very nice.

Larry
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 10:54:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Where in TN are you? We're near Crossville, and as soon as folks find out your not a leftie they're very nice.

Larry
View Quote

We are in Lynnville and when I mention Lynnville people usually smile like it's a very nice place and IT IS ! I fell in with a group of guys who wanted to get to know me even before I got there. I was still moving our stuff but my wife was at the house in Tennessee. When they found out I was a retired cop and a door gunner (military) they couldn't wait to meet me. We shoot once a week at my buddies place, just down the road.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 10:09:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Larry
View Quote

When we meet people from Missouri and tell them we moved here from Illinois, we sometimes get s little stink-eye until I mention we left because of taxes and politics. Most people around here are very down-to-earth friendly people. I wouldn't go back to Illinois for anything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top