Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2021 8:51:29 AM EDT
Took my new ride on a road trip last weekend trying to find the ghost town. GPS took me to a gated road with no trespassing signs. A guy out hunting said it was a rock quarry now and all private property. Several websites say the old remains of the town are still there and accessible. I’m thinking I was in the wrong spot and what I’m looking for is the original site, but what I found was the second site. Anybody from up around Newcomb that can shed some light? I think there’s a member @Tahawas?
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 12:37:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I worked up at the Tahawus mine when it was getting demolished in 05-06. It was getting handed over to the state when it was done. It was in the middle of nowhere. felt like a 45 minute drive from Gore Mt. The buildings were torn down one by one after the asbestos was removed. I had never seen a raven until I went there.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 2:19:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I think there are two buildings still standing. They are on the road going in that is now labeled a hiking trail. The state tore one down three of four years ago as it had gotten so bad they were worried about it falling down on a hiker.
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 11:20:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think there are two buildings still standing. They are on the road going in that is now labeled a hiking trail. The state tore one down three of four years ago as it had gotten so bad they were worried about it falling down on a hiker.
View Quote

This is my understanding.
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 11:45:19 AM EDT
[#4]
So anybody know directions? Like I said GPS took me to a private gated road. The hunter didn’t seem to be interested in telling us anything, said it’s all private. I hate to waste another 3 hour drive up and not find it.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 9:09:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So anybody know directions? Like I said GPS took me to a private gated road. The hunter didn’t seem to be interested in telling us anything, said it’s all private. I hate to waste another 3 hour drive up and not find it.
View Quote

Sorry I’m just now seeing this, but I can help. You’ll want to download the pertinent area into Google Maps before your trip as there’s no service after some spots on Blue Ridge Rd. The ruins of the town and blast furnace are about 1/4mi before the Upper Works trailhead and Henderson Lake parking area. Either of those terms will bring up Google place listings and the directions are accurate.
If you’re not a hiker but are a history nerd, I’d suggest you make a day of it and visit Santanoni. The Tahawus ruins themselves are maybe an hour worth of exploring.

The stone quarry people are dicks for putting “Tahawus” on their sign but lost tourists must break the day up a bit. ??
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:52:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Sorry I’m just now seeing this, but I can help. You’ll want to download the pertinent area into Google Maps before your trip as there’s no service after some spots on Blue Ridge Rd. The ruins of the town and blast furnace are about 1/4mi before the Upper Works trailhead and Henderson Lake parking area. Either of those terms will bring up Google place listings and the directions are accurate.
If you’re not a hiker but are a history nerd, I’d suggest you make a day of it and visit Santanoni. The Tahawus ruins themselves are maybe an hour worth of exploring.

The stone quarry people are dicks for putting “Tahawus” on their sign but lost tourists must break the day up a bit. ??
View Quote

I am from the area.  This is correct.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top