Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2023 3:33:50 PM EDT
Thread in GD got me thinking.  I hate Verizon so very much, but they have been decent in the mountains.  Anyone used T-Mobile out in the woods, maybe around Warren and Yellow pine?
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 10:05:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Theoretically, a phone with a 600 MHz transceiver can comunicate 60 miles from a tower as long as line-of-sight isn't interrupted. This is called Band 71 on LTE. I don't know what 5G calls it.

Anyway, T-Mobile owns essentially all 600 MHz rights in the U.S. And any phone you buy from them is going to be eauipped with one.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 12:38:51 PM EDT
[#2]
On this topic, does anyone know what/whose dishes PureTalk uses?
They say “The same coverage as the big carriers” but as we have all learned all the coverage is different by carrier…
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 12:58:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
On this topic, does anyone know what/whose dishes PureTalk uses?
They say “The same coverage as the big carriers” but as we have all learned all the coverage is different by carrier…
View Quote

Looks like AT&T.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pure_Talk
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 1:01:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Theoretically, a phone with a 600 MHz transceiver can comunicate 60 miles from a tower as long as line-of-sight isn't interrupted. This is called Band 71 on LTE. I don't know what 5G calls it.

Anyway, T-Mobile owns essentially all 600 MHz rights in the U.S. And any phone you buy from them is going to be eauipped with one.
View Quote

I am pretty familiar with the theory and how well the theory tends to work in the backcountry.  

A number of years ago I could get coverage on a mountain top with my AT&T work phone and none on my T-mobile personal phone.  No one wants coverage from work while on vacation.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 5:10:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Looks like AT&T.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pure_Talk
View Quote

Thanks! AT&T is broken up here :(
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 6:42:22 PM EDT
[#6]
So far I've been pleasantly surprised at how much better Tmo works in rural areas vs VZ. Used to be the opposite prior to their 5G rollout.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 12:27:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So far I've been pleasantly surprised at how much better Tmo works in rural areas vs VZ. Used to be the opposite prior to their 5G rollout.
View Quote

So the record is straight, it's not 5G doing that, it's 600 MHz. The two were rolled out at nearly the same time, with 600 MHz being (a year, I think?) earlier.

I have a LTE phone that does 600 MHz. If it were 5G, it would be marginally faster over 600 MHz, but not a lot.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 8:44:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

So the record is straight, it's not 5G doing that, it's 600 MHz. The two were rolled out at nearly the same time, with 600 MHz being (a year, I think?) earlier.

I have a LTE phone that does 600 MHz. If it were 5G, it would be marginally faster over 600 MHz, but not a lot.
View Quote

I understand that ultra wide band frequencies are why the service has improved. But it can be generally agreed(you mention it above) that their aggressive upgrades started happening around the time they began rolling out 5G. So I just stated that to me, I noticed them improving services everywhere right around that time, not necessarily that it was only for those using 5G. As a side note, these days pretty much everywhere I go, I get 5G or nothing on my iPhone. That's how big their 5G footprint is these days. It's quite impressive.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 5:36:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I understand that ultra wide band frequencies are why the service has improved. But it can be generally agreed(you mention it above) that their aggressive upgrades started happening around the time they began rolling out 5G. So I just stated that to me, I noticed them improving services everywhere right around that time, not necessarily that it was only for those using 5G. As a side note, these days pretty much everywhere I go, I get 5G or nothing on my iPhone. That's how big their 5G footprint is these days. It's quite impressive.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am sure it is unrelated, but right after the upgrades the text messaging on my phone went to complete crap.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 7:19:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Might have to look into Tmobile then, used to be Verizon was the only carrier to use and actually get service out on the eastern side of the state. Since the 5g rollout though, I'm lucky to get 2 bars at home when I used to get 4 on 4g. Might have to do that Tmobile esim trial thing on an old phone or something.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top