Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2021 2:08:32 PM EDT
I'm in Corona de Tucson, for those of you who know Pima County.  Somewhat rural, not exactly in the heart of the city with a 5G antenna on every street light.

Currently have Cox @ $119/mo for decent internet (150/10), however this price is robbery but they have a monopoly.

T-Mobile 5G internet shows availability in my area.  A buddy of mine up north (Oro Valley) says he has it and "its really fast" (he's not a tech guy so I don't know his actual upstream and downstream data rates).

T-Mobile claims $50/mo, no set up fee, no equipment fee, no contract, no early cancellation fee.  So essentially I can pretty much try it for the price of the first month.... I think.

Does anyone in Pima County, and specifically the Vail/Corona area, have T-Mobile 5G internet?  If you're in Phx I'd still love to hear about it, however we don't have the same level of infrastructure so I'm sure that will affect data rates.

If it matters (if they share towers or whatever) my Verizon phone (4G) get 3mbps downstream (!) and the tower is about two miles away.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 2:30:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmmm.... Further research reveals the Nokia modem TMO uses does not support bridging.  

Verizon has a modem that kinda does DMZ, but not bridging, and they're not fully committing to my area having service anyway....
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 3:26:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know about T-mobile 5G, but the Cox monopoly is a problem for people in the Phoenix Metro area, too.

Cox just doesn't care about their customers, because they know that they really have no other choice.

They recently fixed the issues I've been having (apparently there is some level of neighborhood pain they're unwilling to deal with) but before that, I was looking at Starlink. (I was getting multiple outages over the day. It was killing my Ex-GF who was working from home, and was a damn PITA for me when I was home. It sounds like Cox replaced something - we were down for a whole day - but after that, it's been rock solid... knock on wood...)

I know it's more targeted at Rural users, but my hope is that it's broadband-level speeds (~100-200mbps down) and reasonable costs will keep these local monopolies in line.

The service isn't bad - $99/mo; more than I pay but less than you are - but the hardware - $500 - is the sticking point.

But at some level; reliability becomes worth it... and again, maybe it'll keep Cox in line. Eventually.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 9:52:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't know about T-mobile 5G, but the Cox monopoly is a problem for people in the Phoenix Metro area, too.

Cox just doesn't care about their customers, because they know that they really have no other choice.

They recently fixed the issues I've been having (apparently there is some level of neighborhood pain they're unwilling to deal with) but before that, I was looking at Starlink. (I was getting multiple outages over the day. It was killing my Ex-GF who was working from home, and was a damn PITA for me when I was home. It sounds like Cox replaced something - we were down for a whole day - but after that, it's been rock solid... knock on wood...)

I know it's more targeted at Rural users, but my hope is that it's broadband-level speeds (~100-200mbps down) and reasonable costs will keep these local monopolies in line.

The service isn't bad - $99/mo; more than I pay but less than you are - but the hardware - $500 - is the sticking point.

But at some level; reliability becomes worth it... and again, maybe it'll keep Cox in line. Eventually.
View Quote

Sux Cox has been hideous since I moved out here in 1999.

The AZ office was distinctly shittier and outright arrogant then, compared to branches on the East Coast.
And the fucks have gotten fuckier in the last two decades.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top