Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2023 12:29:13 PM EDT
My wife and I are going to a wedding next week and we’re planning on stopping in Deadwood for a few days. We’re planning on bringing our SxS. Anyone familiar with the area and trails? Any recommendations to see or avoid?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 3:23:22 PM EDT
[#1]
You gotta buy a trail sticker but other than that grab a trail map from the forest service office and take off. The fun is in the exploration. The galena area trails are pretty cool and nearby. But you can pretty much go from deadwood to hot springs on trails.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 12:24:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. If I’d of planned better I could have bought the sticker and had it mailed to me so I wouldn’t have to mess with it when I got there. Too late now. Hopefully it’s an easy process.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 5:35:53 PM EDT
[#3]
You can get those permits at pretty much all the Forest Service offices and at a bunch of businesses around the Hills.  You're probably coming through Spearfish, so you could try that office (office locations here).  I've used the office down in Custer and they're good people.  

Below is a list of businesses selling them.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/blackhills/passes-permits/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5063173

Have fun.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 1:29:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 3:30:19 PM EDT
[#5]
FYI the Black Hills Trail permit doesn't cover road use, so if you plan on driving to any trailheads on the roads you'll also need the temporary off-road vehicle permit.

https://dor.sd.gov/individuals/motor-vehicle/off-road-vehicles/

Also, double check your width, you may run into a squirrel sheriff who takes the width restriction to the exact letter of the law and you won't like the fines.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top