Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2023 12:24:45 PM EDT
Most denizens of the VA Hometown forum likely know that last year the General Assembly abolished the ban on the possession of automatic knives (a/k/a switchblade knives as they are referred to in the code).  But, as I pointed out to many folks, such knives are still listed in the items you can't carry concealed pursuant to Code of Virginia 18.2-308.  Having a CHP only allows you to carry a handgun.  An automatic knife in your pocket and you are still violating the statute.

Well, it has been under the radar, but Delegate Lee Ware introduced HB 2298 to remove "switchblade knife" from 18.2-308.  It passed the house yesterday 66-32.  That encourages me that it might make it out of the senate if it can get a hearing.  Call your senators if you think they might be remotely sympathetic.

Link

UPDATE 2/20/23: The bill was reported out of the Senate judiciary committee 12-0.  This is very good news and the unanimous support suggests it will pass the floor.

FURTHER UPDATE: The senate version, which replaced the term "switchblade knife" in 18.2-308 with "stiletto knife," has now passed the house and is on its way to the governor.

FURTHER UPDATE 3/27/23: The Governor has signed the bill, and it takes effect July 1.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 6:37:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Today the bill was referred to the Senate judiciary committee.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 9:30:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 8:25:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I really hope this passes
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 6:04:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 11:03:59 PM EDT
[#5]
It’s on the docket for judiciary tomorrow, a long with a bunch of gun bills.  Should be an interesting day.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 1:52:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It’s on the docket for judiciary tomorrow, a long with a bunch of gun bills.  Should be an interesting day.
View Quote

Anybody know what happened this morning?  The online status has not been updated.

ETA: Answered my own question.  Bill was reported out 12-0.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:42:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Anybody know what happened this morning?  The online status has not been updated.

ETA: Answered my own question.  Bill was reported out 12-0.
View Quote

Awesome.  That’s usually a good sign for when it hits the floor.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:59:11 PM EDT
[#8]
It now looks like it was passed our "with amendment."  That complicated things.  All the house bill does is strike "switchblade  knife" from 18.2-308.  The amendment is not yet up online.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 4:30:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It now looks like it was passed our "with amendment."  That complicated things.  All the house bill does is strike "switchblade  knife" from 18.2-308.  The amendment is not yet up online.
View Quote

It’s up.  Looks like it includes “stiletto knife” in place of “switchblade knife.”
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 4:55:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It’s up.  Looks like it includes “stiletto knife” in place of “switchblade knife.”
View Quote

That is a shitshow.  They are  introducing a new, undefined term into the law.  How are you supposed to know if your knife is a stiletto or not?  The Virginia appellate courts have resorted to dictionary definitions in the past.  The 1992 Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary I have on my desk defines it as "a slender dagger with a blade thick in proportion to its breadth."  That does not seem to encompass a folding knife at all.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 5:41:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That is a shitshow.  They are  introducing a new, undefined term into the law.  How are you supposed to know if your knife is a stiletto or not?  The Virginia appellate courts have resorted to dictionary definitions in the past.  The 1992 Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary I have on my desk defines it as "a slender dagger with a blade thick in proportion to its breadth."  That does not seem to encompass a folding knife at all.
View Quote

They’re making money for lawyers- you’ll have to look at case law, such as “[a] ‘dirk’ or weapon of like kind is any stabbing weapon having two sharp edges and a point, including daggers, short swords and stilettos.”  Richards v. Commonwealth, 18 Va.App. 242, 246 n. 2, 443 S.E.2d 177, 179 n. 2 (1994).

So, arguably, stilettos were already prohibited as like kind to dirks.  

It will give someone something to negotiate with in conference.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 11:49:57 PM EDT
[#12]
The house passed the senate version today, so it will go to the governor.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 9:30:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The house passed the senate version today, so it will go to the governor.
View Quote

He better sign it. Off to blade hq
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 11:27:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Good news...I think.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 6:18:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

He better sign it. Off to blade hq
View Quote

I am hoping that rather than merely signing, Governor Youngkin will offer an amendment to strip out the Senate language adding in a ban on carrying a "stiletto knife"--whatever that means.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 7:00:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Stiletto knife pretty much means a knife with both edges of the blade sharpened.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 8:08:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Stiletto knife pretty much means a knife with both edges of the blade sharpened.
View Quote

What legal authority is there for that understanding?
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 9:54:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, there’s the case I cited above to start.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 10:53:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I have previously read all the SCV and court of appeals cases interpreting the various knife provisions of 18.2-308.  The two step analysis you cite is well established. First, the court will ask if the item in question is one of the prohibited item.  If yes, then the defendant is guilty.  If no, then the court will ask if the item is “of like kind” to one of the prohibited items.

That requires the court to understand the defining characteristics of each item.  As I recall, the court has defined dirk, dagger, and Bowie knife based on dictionary definitions.  The point I am raising is that there is no authority establishing a definition of “stiletto knife,” and there won’t be until someone is charged, convicted, and appeals.

That creates an uncertainty in the law that leaves is all in doubt about what is legal. For instance is stiletto a subset of switchblade (likely what they meant), or is it a variety of dagger that does not include folders at all?
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 3:56:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Seems they don't really know what a stiletto is, They think is a OTF knife.

From VCDL:
VCDL Legislative Update and help needed request 2/23/23

Good news!  HB 2298, Ware, which makes switchblades legal to carry in a pocket, just passed out of the General Assembly and heads to the Governor's desk to be signed into law!  The Senate Judiciary committee amended the bill to exclude stilettos because one of the gun-control enthusiasts confused the committee by saying that a knife blade that comes out of the front of the knife is a stiletto.  A stiletto has nothing to do with how the blade is deployed, but merely defines the shape of the blade.  A stiletto is just another name for a dirk or dagger, which is already not allowed to be carried concealed.  There may still be a chance to get that redundant "stiletto" wording removed before it becomes law on July 1 (assuming the Governor doesn't veto the bill).
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 9:12:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Well, I have previously read all the SCV and court of appeals cases interpreting the various knife provisions of 18.2-308.  The two step analysis you cite is well established. First, the court will ask if the item in question is one of the prohibited item.  If yes, then the defendant is guilty.  If no, then the court will ask if the item is “of like kind” to one of the prohibited items.

That requires the court to understand the defining characteristics of each item.  As I recall, the court has defined dirk, dagger, and Bowie knife based on dictionary definitions.  The point I am raising is that there is no authority establishing a definition of “stiletto knife,” and there won’t be until someone is charged, convicted, and appeals.

That creates an uncertainty in the law that leaves is all in doubt about what is legal. For instance is stiletto a subset of switchblade (likely what they meant), or is it a variety of dagger that does not include folders at all?
View Quote

You might want to read McMillan v Comm., 55 Va. App. 392 (2009).  
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 11:30:39 AM EDT
[#22]
If this passes it may make it less nebulous to carry a knife in Virginia.

As I recall they pretty much could charge you with carrying a concealed weapon for anything other than a "common pen knife".

I'd like to see the concealed weapon law repealed to create true constitutional carry.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 10:21:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Simple solution is to not carry it concealed. Clip it to your pocket and don’t wear baggy clothes that cover it from “common observation”
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 2:43:10 PM EDT
[#24]
This legislative mess is so confusing; it is almost like they WANTED it that way . . .

But I am used to it.  I’m originally from MD, and I even lived in DC.  

If democrats can’t outright ban something, they will happily muddy the waters so much, it’s nearly impossible to see anything at all.

I am not going to spend $$ to buy an automatic knife for carry just yet.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 5:36:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Reading thru the bill. It looks like automatic knives will be good to go for carry as long as they're not double-edged.

Basically, something like a double edge Microtech Troodon D/E would still be illegal due to the "stiletto" idiocy. However a Microtech Troodon S/E would be g2g.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 8:50:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Has it been signed and does it go into effect 7/1?
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 9:06:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not yet.  If you click on the link I provided in the OP, you can see the current status.  The governor has until midnight on 3/27 to act.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 5:32:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Not yet.  If you click on the link I provided in the OP, you can see the current status.  The governor has until midnight on 3/27 to act.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you!
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 5:21:40 PM EDT
[#29]
LIS has been updated, looks like he approved it yesterday.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 11:07:30 PM EDT
[#30]
If the governor make and changes would that show up in LIS? Wondering if they altered the stiletto language.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 6:24:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If the governor make and changes would that show up in LIS? Wondering if they altered the stiletto language.
View Quote

He did not make any amendments.   If he wanted to alter the language, it would have to go back to the GA for approval.  Looks like he approved it as is.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 10:53:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To close the loop on this for the benefit of others, McMillan involved a defendant charged for having a dive knife riveted to the inside of the driver's door on his vehicle.  His conviction was reversed by the Court of Appeals.  They determined that it was not one of the types of knives listed in 18.2-308, nor was it a weapon of like kind.  They reached the latter conclusion by finding it was not a weapon at all.

What does that have to do with Stilettos?  Well, in the course of the opinion, they discuss the dictionary definition of "stiletto," which is a term otherwise undefined in Virginia law.

A "dagger" is "a short knife used for stabbing," and its definition refers to a "stiletto." Webster's Third New International Dictionary 570 (1993). However, the definition of a "stiletto" is not particularly helpful, as it is defined as "a slender dagger with a blade that is thick in proportion to its breadth."
 McMillan v. Commonwealth, 55 Va. App. 392, 397 (2009)(quoting Webster's Third New International Dictionary 2243 (1993)).

This is certainly something we could cite to in defending a case, but in my view it is dicta and not binding authority.

If you accept this definition and choose to rely on it, then it is hard to see how a folding knife of any type can be a stiletto.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 4:44:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

To close the loop on this for the benefit of others, McMillan involved a defendant charged for having a dive knife riveted to the inside of the driver's door on his vehicle.  His conviction was reversed by the Court of Appeals.  They determined that it was not one of the types of knives listed in 18.2-308, nor was it a weapon of like kind.  They reached the latter conclusion by finding it was not a weapon at all.

What does that have to do with Stilettos?  Well, in the course of the opinion, they discuss the dictionary definition of "stiletto," which is a term otherwise undefined in Virginia law.

McMillan v. Commonwealth, 55 Va. App. 392, 397 (2009)(quoting Webster's Third New International Dictionary 2243 (1993)).

This is certainly something we could cite to in defending a case, but in my view it is dicta and not binding authority.

If you accept this definition and choose to rely on it, then it is hard to see how a folding knife of any type can be a stiletto.
View Quote

Now look at the sentence right before that, where the court cites to the definition of "dirk."  A dirk is any stabbing weapon with two sharp edges and a point... including stilettos.  So, if dirk includes stilettos, and a dirk is a stabbing weapon with two sharpened edges and point, what characteristics does a stiletto have?  

I would argue that the definition cited is NOT dicta, as it is part of the analysis to determine whether the knife possessed in the case fell under the statute.  The court needed to determine whether it was a listed item or of like kind.  In making that determination, the court recited the definition that it would use in making that determination, i.e. the rationale or rule that would control the case.  

Link Posted: 3/28/2023 5:39:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Now look at the sentence right before that, where the court cites to the definition of "dirk."  A dirk is any stabbing weapon with two sharp edges and a point... including stilettos.  So, if dirk includes stilettos, and a dirk is a stabbing weapon with two sharpened edges and point, what characteristics does a stiletto have?  

I would argue that the definition cited is NOT dicta, as it is part of the analysis to determine whether the knife possessed in the case fell under the statute.  The court needed to determine whether it was a listed item or of like kind.  In making that determination, the court recited the definition that it would use in making that determination, i.e. the rationale or rule that would control the case.  

View Quote

We will likely find out at some point, but in terms of giving advice about how to stay within the law, I suggest refraining from the concealed carry of any double edged knife.  The should eliminate dirk, dagger, or stiletto.  And don't carry a concealed Bowie or machete.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 5:50:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 6:03:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
How CHP holders are not exempt from this BS (or why the permit isn't a CWP) has bewildered me for decades.

Anyone know if a collapsible baton is prohibited from concealed carry by virtue of any of the archaic words used in this section?   It mentions spring stick, but common collapsible batons are not typically sprint activated.  Do they ever define these terms?
View Quote

I don't know what a spring stick is, but I think there is a decent chance a court (or at least a cop on the street) might conclude that an ASP baton is at least a weapon of like kind.  I advise against carrying a baton concealed.  I agree it makes no sense you can carry a handgun but not a baton.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 6:21:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 8:40:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yeah, I've always suspected that, which actually sucks for me, because I like to carry one when I walk my dog. It's usually crammed in my back pocket, half visible I guess.  Unless I'm wearing a coat, which I never do, of course.
View Quote

I’ve seen neck sheaths for smaller ASP Batons.  Just carry a baseball and a tennis ball you “hit” for your dog. Zero questions asked….
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:22:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I’ve seen neck sheaths for smaller ASP Batons.  Just carry a baseball and a tennis ball you “hit” for your dog. Zero questions asked….
View Quote

You can open carry any kind of club or baton you want.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 7:04:52 PM EDT
[#40]
According to VCDL's Legislative Wrap up:

"Do NOT carry a concealed knife (switchblade or not) that has a stiletto-type blade with one or two sharp edges that continuously narrows down to a sharp tip for stabbing and is not designed for cutting."
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 7:47:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
According to VCDL's Legislative Wrap up:

"Do NOT carry a concealed knife (switchblade or not) that has a stiletto-type blade with one or two sharp edges that continuously narrows down to a sharp tip for stabbing and is not designed for cutting."
View Quote

Umm that’s like every knife with a point?
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 8:35:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Anyone know what's considered "not concealed"?
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 10:01:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Concealed means hidden from common observation.  

So Not Concealed means that it can be seen by common observation.  or in other words if common or reasonable person were to look at you and say "That's a knife"   It is not concealed.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 3:15:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

So Not Concealed means that it can be seen by common observation.  or in other words if common or reasonable person were to look at you and say "That's a knife"   It is not concealed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks that validates what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 5:12:13 PM EDT
[#45]
I agree with your observation 100% but the way I interpret it is that it:

Prohibits blades with 2 sharpened edges coming to a point intended to act as a "stilleto", "dagger", "dirk" or "the like" with both edges coming to a point facilitating penetration by stabbing. Note that these blade types in fixed blades have been prohibited from "concealed" under existing Virginia law. So now this also applies to these blade types in auto knives when being carried concealed.

The "workaround" for me suggests that a single sharpened edge with either a "drop point", "clip point" or the like which serve a utilitarian/EDC platform intended for cutting, slicing, etc.

Is it a BS restriction? You bet!
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 7:25:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I agree with your observation 100% but the way I interpret it is that it:

Prohibits blades with 2 sharpened edges coming to a point intended to act as a "stilleto", "dagger", "dirk" or "the like" with both edges coming to a point facilitating penetration by stabbing. Note that these blade types in fixed blades have been prohibited from "concealed" under existing Virginia law. So now this also applies to these blade types in auto knives when being carried concealed.

The "workaround" for me suggests that a single sharpened edge with either a "drop point", "clip point" or the like which serve a utilitarian/EDC platform intended for cutting, slicing, etc.

Is it a BS restriction? You bet!
View Quote

I’d be cautious with clip points like Kabars and the like. They can be compared to Bowie knives, which are also named in the law.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 4:14:05 PM EDT
[#47]
https://www.knifeshop.com/en/product/1923/stiletto_28cm_-_11_fb-s28b-iiv.html

Lets pretend the name of the knife above is something different.  Is it not a stiletto in VA because it only has one side sharpened?
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 8:41:28 AM EDT
[#48]
So are we still at OK to possess a switchblade, but illegal to carry concealed?
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 9:46:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
So are we still at OK to possess a switchblade, but illegal to carry concealed?
View Quote

As of 7/1/2023 you can carry it concealed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top