Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2018 11:53:35 AM EDT
On our recent trip to Daytona I noticed a lot of people on the beach using boogie boards and surf shops all over.  The problem was that I wouldnt call what I saw "waves", more like ripples coming up to the shore.

So it got me thinking...is there anyplace in Florida that can produce decent waves? 4ft or better?  Something that actually has a curl to it you can ride?  I love to surf but the way the beaches are out here I dont see how there can be to much build up.  Usually takes a reef or a sharp incline in the ocean floor to get a decent wave up.

Any info appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 12:24:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Many years ago, I used to surf on Anastasia Island (across the Bridge of Lions from St. Augustine) in an area known as the Blowhole. No it is nothing like California surfing but a long decent break. If you are willing to work and wait for it, you can get a few decent rides in a day. I went mostly to enjoy the sun and the water and to convince myself that whatever just bumped into me wasn't a shark

People surf at Ponte Vedra Beach near Jacksonville. My daughter attended a "surf camp" there one Summer.

Flagler Beach is supposed to offer some tasty waves as well, when the weather is right, from time to time.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 12:55:49 PM EDT
[#2]
East coast surfing is hit or miss.  Some days you have ripples, other days you can have 6 footers.  The better waves in my opinion are around Cocoa and Matanzas.  Watch out for those pesky sharks though.  I've been bumped a few times but never bit.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 1:14:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Most good surfing up this way is only when a dang hurricane or tropical storm is coming in.
Other than that there are a very few days here and there that you could actually get up and ride a board.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 2:10:05 PM EDT
[#4]
https://www.surfline.com/

You're welcome.

Florida.

More Florida.

FYI, you need swell to produce waves.  No swell, no waves other than localized wind swept waves, which usually are accompanied by a lot of chop.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 2:34:39 PM EDT
[#5]
9 years ago today.

Link Posted: 8/23/2018 3:41:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
On our recent trip to Daytona I noticed a lot of people on the beach using boogie boards and surf shops all over.  The problem was that I wouldnt call what I saw "waves", more like ripples coming up to the shore.

So it got me thinking...is there anyplace in Florida that can produce decent waves? 4ft or better?  Something that actually has a curl to it you can ride?  I love to surf but the way the beaches are out here I dont see how there can be to much build up.  Usually takes a reef or a sharp incline in the ocean floor to get a decent wave up.

Any info appreciated.
View Quote
Are you interested in the Jupiter/Juno Beach area just north of Palm Beach?
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 5:30:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 5:58:00 PM EDT
[#8]
St. Augustine.  I'm the sweeper.
St Augustine Pier Surf, October 5, 2015
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 6:05:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Usually not too good in the summer, unless a tropical storm or hurricane goes up the coast.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 8:15:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Great videos Twitchy n Osprey
Gotta be too much fun....
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 8:23:08 PM EDT
[#12]
There is definitely good surf in florida when there is a good swell. Not sure about daytona but brevard has produced some epic surf in my lifetime. Ive seen glassy overhead that will make you smile and some monster shorepound that will make you just say... DAMN!

Halloween Swell ''91 Surfing RC''s in Florida Perfect Storm 1991

Any true florida east coast local  remembers the 1991 haloween swell. As I drove over the causeway and i could see them big sumbitches breaking. So big it was near impossible to catch. Had to jump off the railing of the dune crossover when a wave came in to get in the water. Way.... crazy but epic.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 11:24:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Used to surf Sebastian Inlet. That place was awesome.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 11:37:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Surfed lots of swells in my day at ponce / new smyrna.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 10:52:51 AM EDT
[#15]
I wish the video's and pics in this thread were the norm here in Florida.  In reality, those days are far and few between.  I spent most of a lifetime surfing the Mid Atlantic states and the Outer Banks where the waves are much better.  Unfortunately, the water is in the 40's for many of the good swells.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 4:51:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 10:42:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Are you interested in the Jupiter/Juno Beach area just north of Palm Beach?
View Quote
I'll be making a trip to Jupiter in the near future and will check it out.

Thanks for the input everyone!  It would appear I need to watch the storm patterns to wait for the big swells to come up.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 6:14:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Surf shops..Daytona lol.
Bro those are tourists dumps lol not real shops.

Ponce inlet , New syrmna side. From the last ramp to the jettys.
Flagler at the pier. Give or Take 1/2 Mike each side. If it's flat...walk behind the surf shop and eat at the taco shack.
Inlet and beach in ST.Aug.
As said Jupiter/etc.

Parts of south Flagler and south NSB get decent...but very condition dependent.

Very weather dependent...on all of the.

I tried the 91' storm.....my brother made it out....and came back.
It was a fucking washing machine ..it was insane...
6ft at the shore break....just getting out was nuts.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 9:28:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Usually not too good in the summer, unless a tropical storm or hurricane goes up the coast.
View Quote
^This^
Not to mention that I longboard, I can’t ride the potato chips anymore.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 6:36:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Bump for Florence.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 7:44:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:03:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Damn it.
I work for myself and never take time off for myself anymore.
I'm going to have to change that!
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 9:32:32 AM EDT
[#23]
It's going to be nice for the rest of the week.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 5:47:46 PM EDT
[#24]
SW Fl., they are called "ripple riders."
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 8:40:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Shit, 8 footers over there?  Damn, I need a day off also.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 6:26:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Haha...I spent a couple years driving over to Cocoa from Tampa Bay area every weekend when I was a teenager, because I fancied myself a "surfer".

As I remember it, we'd get maybe a handful of good swell days per year
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 1:20:50 AM EDT
[#27]
damn.....I just got moved to nights....FML.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 12:41:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'll be making a trip to Jupiter in the near future and will check it out.

Thanks for the input everyone!  It would appear I need to watch the storm patterns to wait for the big swells to come up.
View Quote
In the winter time a little south of the Palm Beach inlet there are tons of swells, it gets crowded.

Also good spots at the Lake Worth Beach, and some areas of Boynton Beach.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top