Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/7/2021 9:41:29 PM EDT
Looking to bring my 9 year old son out Sunday on the sunbeam VII for some larger off shore fishing.

Anyone have experience bringing kids? Is he big enough?
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 8:06:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Looking to bring my 9 year old son out Sunday on the sunbeam VII for some larger off shore fishing.

Anyone have experience bringing kids? Is he big enough?
View Quote

Has he fished before? I think he will be fine, just remind him to not drop the rod. Blues are exciting. Crews are usually very helpful- they want to see you catch fish
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 8:46:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Lots of trout- pumpkin seeds & bass. Thinking I’d have to help with dropping line a few times. I fondly remember bird nesting a few reels on the Blackhawk as a kid in the 90’s.  I can’t wait to see the look on his face if we can get a 30” + bass.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 11:41:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Lanyard for the rod.   I've kids & adults drop em over.  Felt bad for the kids, wrecked the trip.  

Length of paracord will do
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 11:43:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lots of trout- pumpkin seeds & bass. Thinking I’d have to help with dropping line a few times. I fondly remember bird nesting a few reels on the Blackhawk as a kid in the 90’s.  I can’t wait to see the look on his face if we can get a 30” + bass.
View Quote

They are catching monster bass all over but it’s typically at night or before dawn. A 12 lb bluefish would be an awesome fight for a kid
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 11:58:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

They are catching monster bass all over but it’s typically at night or before dawn. A 12 lb bluefish would be an awesome fight for a kid
View Quote

Blackfish also fight like crazy and are delicious.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 1:35:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Blackfish also fight like crazy and are delicious.
View Quote

I would prefer in this order- fluke, black sea bass , black fish, stripped bass, blues- porgies only if the are monsters. Best and most fun to fish is blue fish- once they hit its game on! Stripped bass is similar to pulling up a boot filled with water. Honestly, I love to fish….. I don’t care what I am catching! Hell, I will eat sea robins if they are big enough
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 2:58:01 PM EDT
[#7]
just took my 9 year old recently. 35 inch stripped bass. little tackle spinning rod. she is itching to go again already.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 3:08:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
just took my 9 year old recently. 35 inch stripped bass. little tackle spinning rod. she is itching to go again already.
https://i.imgur.com/TZoqhWd.jpg
View Quote

Nice-keep the sport alive!
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 7:00:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/TZoqhWd.jpg
View Quote

Heck ya!!
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 6:23:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I would prefer in this order- fluke, black sea bass , black fish, stripped bass, blues- porgies only if the are monsters. Best and most fun to fish is blue fish- once they hit its game on! Stripped bass is similar to pulling up a boot filled with water. Honestly, I love to fish….. I don’t care what I am catching! Hell, I will eat sea robins if they are big enough
View Quote

Sea robins are excellent. Zuppa di pesce FTW.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 9:24:31 PM EDT
[#11]
If anyone can eat a bunker , I would be both horrified and impressed at the same time
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 9:51:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If anyone can eat a bunker , I would be both horrified and impressed at the same time
View Quote

I ate a Merganser, bunker have to be better.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 10:59:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I ate a Merganser, bunker have to be better.
View Quote

But why?
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 10:48:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

But why?
View Quote

I killed it by mistake when hunting, and felt compelled to not waste it. So I marinated the hell out of it and cooked it up. It was not great.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 10:59:43 AM EDT
[#15]
I'll eat just about anything. But merganser are not it!

I bet fresh peanut bunker wouldn't be too bad.  Treat them like the herring they are.

I wanna try sand eels as well.  Just because.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 11:07:16 AM EDT
[#16]
I had Dall sheep in Alaska that was definitely not for me- tasted like moss
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 8:36:38 AM EDT
[#17]
We go into he sunbeam all the time(company charter).

Pretty good.

Kiwi was a cool deckmate

Lots of black bass and porgy. Stripers once and a while.

One year wh had big swells but he should be fine
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 9:10:40 PM EDT
[#18]
We had just arrived back to the dock on the Blackhawk. My sister and I watched a hovering seagull shit on my dads hat. He took the hat off to examine it and the same bird hit him with another splatter.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 5:01:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
We had just arrived back to the dock on the Blackhawk. My sister and I watched a hovering seagull shit on my dads hat. He took the hat off to examine it and the same bird hit him with another splatter.
View Quote

I hope you thanked him for his service.

We went on that one too but they wouldn't let us reserve the whole boat so we only did it 1 year. My coworker also got drunk and started yelling at the captain.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 10:53:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Boot filled with water? I’ve been hardcore surfcasting for more than ten years and those are few and far between. I’ve had some ridiculously aggressive fights with stripers and on the rare occasions I’ve used clams and a sand spike I’ve seen rods bent almost 90 degrees and get ripped right out of the ground. Looked like you tied your line to the back of a linebacker. Just writing about this makes me want to blow off my plans for this weekend and go do a couple of sunset to sunrise marathons at one of my favorite spots
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 6:01:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Boot filled with water? I’ve been hardcore surfcasting for more than ten years and those are few and far between. I’ve had some ridiculously aggressive fights with stripers and on the rare occasions I’ve used clams and a sand spike I’ve seen rods bent almost 90 degrees and get ripped right out of the ground. Looked like you tied your line to the back of a linebacker. Just writing about this makes me want to blow off my plans for this weekend and go do a couple of sunset to sunrise marathons at one of my favorite spots
View Quote

Stripped bass run out of energy very quick. The art is in hooking them
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top