Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/27/2017 9:00:35 PM EDT
Daughter just got accepted to OK State Stillwater today and it is her first choice for schools, so it looks like she is going.  Can anyone fill me in on the good, bad, ugly of the area?  We will be flying down for a visit in February and she will be starting in August.  No need to worry about some silly liberal from the North East, she is a solid hunting, fishing, shooting,  horse riding outdoors kid that will fit right in.  Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 9:59:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Daughter just got accepted to OK State Stillwater today and it is her first choice for schools, so it looks like she is going.  Can anyone fill me in on the good, bad, ugly of the area?  We will be flying down for a visit in February and she will be starting in August.  No need to worry about some silly liberal from the North East, she is a solid hunting, fishing, shooting,  horse riding outdoors kid that will fit right in.  Thanks in advance!
View Quote

I went to South Eastern and that was many year's ago. My daughter made one semester at Weatherford before she got married and dropped out. All I can tell you is support her and pray she keeps a good head on her shoulders. I liked the school though, my cousin graduated there. My best friends daughter went to OSU and she got into some Missionary program and wound up taking a couple of extra semesters to graduate.  I guess it's like any other school it depends on how focused the student is.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 1:48:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 3:20:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice city with a good atmosphere and depending on what she is going for it’s a very good school as well. My wife and sister in law both went there and I have some college credit from there FWIW.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good school with a good reputation overall, I live about 50 miles away, Stillwater is a pretty good town.  If she has a reasonably good head on her shoulders she will be fine.

In the meantime...GO SOONERS!
View Quote
Boy, they’ll just let anyone be a mod, won’t they? You’d think this place would have some standards.

Link Posted: 12/28/2017 11:13:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Stillwater is a great little town, and OSU is underrated academically.  It's a strong school.

South of campus: Washington St. is known as "the strip", and that's where the kids gravitate towards on the weekends.  Mainly bars and small shops, but it's safe.

East of campus: Eskimo Joe's is sort of a staple.  Decent food and a good place to pick up the obligatory tee shirts/sweatshirts.

Not near campus, but worth finding on Main street: Shortcakes diner.  It's a diner...it's greasy...it's gooood.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 10:23:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks everyone for the info, she has a solid head on her shoulders and a 4.0 GPA going into the engineering program and trying to get on the equestrian team. Stillwater sounds a lot like our Burlington VT and University of VT, only with a lot more students and hopfully a lot less liberal influence.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 12:52:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 3:07:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Even as an OU fan...I think Stillwater is a great place to live. I have a ton of friends and family who live there, or lived there while going to OSU. It is one of the few schools that I know of that I would consider "old school". I mostly say that because their Agriculture Department is such a huge part of their school. Lots of country boys and girls attend OSU, so lots of conservative values. (obviously not all, but a lot)

Congrats to your daughter! Hope she loves it!
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 12:22:42 AM EDT
[#8]
There is a good outdoor range about 10 miles west of town off 51 highway.  It's an Army surplus store with survival stuff, military surplus, guns, ammo and the outdoor range.  If you drive by it, you can't miss it.  Lots of surplus military vehicles outside he sells.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:03:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I grew up there and graduated HS & college there. Great medium size city with a small-town feel. Local PD can be a little hard on the college kids sometimes. She’ll do just fine there.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 12:16:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
East of campus: Eskimo Joe's is sort of a staple.  Decent food and a good place to pick up the obligatory tee shirts/sweatshirts.
View Quote
Good to hear that Eskimo Joe's is still there. It was a favorite hangout when I was going to OSU, back in the 1970's.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 12:50:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Great town, with a small town feel.  I'm in Guthrie, around 20 miles away.  Hollar if I can help in any way!
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 2:03:26 PM EDT
[#12]
My youngest daughter graduated from OSU. Great sense of community among the students and alumni. About an hour from the two Oklahoma metros. Stillwater is a great town. Very good EMS, Fire, and police departments. She will love it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 5:16:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks everyone for the help  Best place to fly into? OKC? Stillwater is a bit pricey for 3 of us, I don't mind her flying home from there by herself when needed.  We have most carriers around here between Burlington, VT, Albany, NY or Manchester, NH.  Best I have found is Southwest out of Manchester into OKC.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 6:58:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Have you checked into flying into Tulsa?

Can't tell you about Stillwater as its been 43 years since I went to school there
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 7:04:07 PM EDT
[#15]
4 generations of my family have graduated from there (including yours truly) I still live very close and Stillwater is the closest big town that we go to shop. Traffic is starting to get worse, but it's still bearable.

OSU is still a "Ag" School with lots of farm, ranch and country youngsters attending. Probably one of the more conservative schools in the South.  PM me if she wants a place to ride, hunt or shoot, I think I can even find her a  good horse to ride, if she can't bring her own.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 8:14:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Good engineering program and great school.  I was a 3rd generation grad.  The campus is growing and they are updating a lot of the buildings.  What type of engineering is she going for?

As far as the town it was a nice place to live for the 4 and a half years when I was in school.  Like others have said it is a moderate sized town but it does have a small town feel.  As far as where to fly into I think Oklahoma City or Tulsa would both be about the same drive to get there so I would go with whichever had the cheapest flights.  Tell her to get involved with the student groups related to her degree they are excellent for networking and for meeting others in the same degree that may be good resources for class help and studying.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 5:08:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Good engineering program and great school.  I was a 3rd generation grad.  The campus is growing and they are updating a lot of the buildings.  What type of engineering is she going for?

As far as the town it was a nice place to live for the 4 and a half years when I was in school.  Like others have said it is a moderate sized town but it does have a small town feel.  As far as where to fly into I think Oklahoma City or Tulsa would both be about the same drive to get there so I would go with whichever had the cheapest flights.  Tell her to get involved with the student groups related to her degree they are excellent for networking and for meeting others in the same degree that may be good resources for class help and studying.
View Quote
Again, thank you everyone for the tips and what to expect, she is either going into architectural or bio medical engineering.  Booking flights now and the cheapest was Manchester, NH into OKC.  We did get a nice email yesterday morning letting her know that she just got a 32K scholarship  
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 10:59:07 PM EDT
[#18]
If you're flying into OKC, you'll take I35 north to 51 highway which is exit 174 or so.  As you go east to Stillwater, about 3-4 miles east of I35 you'll hit the intersection for 86 highway.  Camo Corner, the funshop, range, military surplus store I mentioned in my previous reply will be on the south side of the highway.  You'll see all the milsurp vehicles.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 2:08:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd do just about anything to relive my days at OSU.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 7:20:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Damn southern ice! Foiled our visit tomorrow, stuck in Baltimore and just got a return flight home.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 7:45:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Hate to hear that you had to boomerang home but you wouldn't want to be here right now.  We have ice everywhere around OKC and more foretasted tonight and tomorrow.  My 5 year old can not get the idea it is not snow.

All I can add for OSU is that your daughter should attend some Cowboy wrestling matches as they are some of the most dominant wrestlers in the nation and great spectator experience.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 5:32:46 PM EDT
[#22]
There are two shooting clubs at OSU, just for the record. A shotgun one and a practical shooting one for USPSA/Steel Challenge/3 Gun.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 9:07:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
There are two shooting clubs at OSU, just for the record. A shotgun one and a practical shooting one for USPSA/Steel Challenge/3 Gun.
View Quote
Thanks for the info, I think I saw that somewhere along the line.  We will be feet down next Wednesday barring any weather/bullshit
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 7:18:33 AM EDT
[#24]
ice is gone, now it's tornadoes. (or wild fires)
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 8:17:44 PM EDT
[#25]
So we are here now and heading home in the morning.  Started with a guy getting a field sobriety test coming out of OKC, police shooting in Stillwater and a hail storm overnight.  Went to Shortcakes for breakfast this morning (was just what we were looking for and cheap) spent all day on campus for the normal tour and then 1.5 hours meeting with professors.

Dinner was a simple burger at Eskimo Joes with the local PD doing the fundraising for Special Olympics, as we left I asked the 2 officers about concealed carry by a person from a constitutional carry state.  Local officer didn't have much of an answer, but the older Sheriff (? brown uniform) knew all the info and was very nice, he even told us about no carry on campus (we knew that) but he said if it is in the car out of sight it is ok.  But he said you should be able to carry there.  

We never were able to get to any of the gun shops, but that will change (see below)

Overall, my daughter fell in love with OSU, Stillwater and Oklahoma in 2 quick days and you will have a new Cowboy from VT this fall  I am also very impressed with the area, feels like a very comforting town, and the campus was amazing.

Thanks for everyone who helped out and hope to meet some of you over the next 5 years.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 6:10:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Outstanding. When you get a chance, be sure and stop by my friends at Camo Corner. If you drove to Stillwater from the West, on Highway 51, you drove right by it. If you need anything else, just PM me and I can help you out.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 9:54:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Outstanding. When you get a chance, be sure and stop by my friends at Camo Corner. If you drove to Stillwater from the West, on Highway 51, you drove right by it. If you need anything else, just PM me and I can help you out.
View Quote
Home safe and sound! Will visit Camo Corner in August, saw it both coming and going, just ran out of time.  @Nick710 thank you for the kind IM and I replied.  Will be back in a few months
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 10:00:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Attachment Attached File

Doesn't seem like it is possible but we will be moving in, in less than 3 weeks.  Not sure on dealing with the 100* temps (we melt at 85 )  This was our daughters cap from HS graduation
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 11:40:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 7:17:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Some good kids in that group.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 3:26:47 PM EDT
[#31]
OSU provides a great overall college experience, and Stillwater is a great college town. I got a couple degrees there and lived there for a good time during the process.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 6:17:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Well the commie plated rental car is all loaded up and ready to roll at 4am tomorrow morning.  The girls are doing the "Thelma and Louise" trip (without the ending, hopefully )  I will be flying out Tuesday and move in is Wednesday, then drive home.

It is a little bittersweet making our daughter dinner for the last time until December, and saying goodby to her friends and her horse today, and her dog tomorrow.

Link Posted: 8/16/2018 9:49:14 PM EDT
[#33]
All moved in and ready to go, what a zoo it was on campus yesterday morning.  Had a great trip to Stillwater again and thanks everyone for all the help, looking forward to the next 5 years. Her roommate is awesome and she met a junior at lunch today that lives in the next town over from us
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:02:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Glad it went well.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 8:26:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Back home to the empty nest (except the lab and the cat) safe and sound. Drive was easy but really loooooong, hope they don't round us up for not having the exact change in the rental car for the $.75 toll between Stillwater and Tulsa

This was my wife's first trip to OK and she could not get over how friendly everyone was out there, up here in the North East most people are kind of on the "assholeish" side if they don't know you. The more time we spend in the south we love it more and  more!  Thank you OK
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 7:13:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Glad you had a good time.  I think OSU started monday, hopefully she's enjoying it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 10:56:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Make her join the OSU Shooting team

https://wellness.okstate.edu/sport-clubs/practical-shooting
View Quote
She is all set up to go to the first meetings for both practical shooting and shotgun and @ Nick710 she also got a free range pass to Camo Corner.  Haven't spoken to her about all the details, just got a text, will talk to her tonight.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 7:40:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
She is all set up to go to the first meetings for both practical shooting and shotgun and @ Nick710 she also got a free range pass to Camo Corner.  Haven't spoken to her about all the details, just got a text, will talk to her tonight.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Make her join the OSU Shooting team

https://wellness.okstate.edu/sport-clubs/practical-shooting
Yeah my daughter had a good shooting scholarship until she decided to drop out and marry a tard. She was going to SWOSU.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 5:48:52 PM EDT
[#39]
First semester is in the books as of 11am this morning    Straight "A's" and had an amazing semester.  She is missing home, her dog, and her horse (and her parents)  but after the 4 weeks will be ready to go back.  She has a great group of friends out there and is cooking chicken parm for everyone tonight.  Her horse will be going out next fall with her and all will be well.......Go Pokes
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 9:15:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Outstanding. Congrats on your girl. If she needs a place to ride, let me know. We have lots of pastures and trails to ride within 10 miles of Stillwater.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 12:01:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 12:06:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Hell yes!

Did she rush?
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 3:36:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Did she rush?
View Quote
Yes, she is now a sister in Alpha Omega Epsilon which is the engineering sorority, more of a networking group, but still Greek
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 8:28:43 PM EDT
[#44]
And a peek at the chicken parm, not bad for a bunch of college kids

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 10:12:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
And a peak at the chicken parm, not bad for a bunch of college kids

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/164162/97C1690E-E108-4A3E-B47B-B95DD9F0BD5F_png-772377.JPG
View Quote
She spent a whole semester here and didn't learn how to make a good chicken-fried steak?  What did she waste all of her time doing, studying?
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 9:44:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Back home reunited with all that is special to her

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 10:20:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Back "home" on campus, safe and sound. She is very happy to get away from this

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 1:34:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Any good “kitchen table” FFLs in Stillwater?
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Any good "kitchen table" FFLs in Stillwater?
View Quote
I used one south of town on 177, let me see if I can find him.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:04:14 AM EDT
[#50]
I am also looking for a good shooting area. Campus Corner does the trick for out to 100yds, but looking for a little more.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top