Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2021 2:04:11 AM EDT
With all of the machine shops related to Boeing and other industries in our state has anyone here made or had made steel targets locally? Just thinking that it would have to be cheaper to have something made here than shipped accross the country. If it matters I'm not looking for anything fancy, 6 and 8 inch plates, ipsc silhouettes, probably 1/2in AR550 to tolerate rifle hits from 50yds.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 1:10:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out Tacoma Steel Tacoma Steel

I see a pallet or 2 of targets there when I am there.  IIRC they will sale to the public.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 5:16:36 PM EDT
[#2]
When another fellow and myself were running precision rifle matches, we would buy lots and LOTS of steel targets from Jake at JCSteelTargets.  He had really good products, and very competitive prices.

If you do get some steel targets, you can often get FREE fire hoses if you contact the local fire department when they are done testing and getting rid of any old or leaky hoses.  If someone doesn't pick them up for free, the departments usually have to pay someone to take them to recycling.  When I would show up at the right time, I could take as many hoses as I wanted.  

The easiest way to cut the fire hoses is with an axe, and I used a really big leather punch to put the holes in the hose for the bolts to pass through.  Fire hose is the most durable target hanging material I have found...second is really thick conveyer belt.   Fire hose lasts far, FAR longer than chain, cable or any metallic hanging items.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:30:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you do get some steel targets, you can often get FREE fire hoses if you contact the local fire department when they are done testing and getting rid of any old or leaky hoses.  If someone doesn't pick them up for free, the departments usually have to pay someone to take them to recycling.  When I would show up at the right time, I could take as many hoses as I wanted.  

The easiest way to cut the fire hoses is with an axe, and I used a really big leather punch to put the holes in the hose for the bolts to pass through.  Fire hose is the most durable target hanging material I have found...second is really thick conveyer belt.   Fire hose lasts far, FAR longer than chain, cable or any metallic hanging items.
View Quote

Thanks for that!  Sadly, my range doesn't allow steel (Weyerhaeuser lease), but I have a fire house within a couple blocks from my house.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:41:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I5 Guns in Lacy, and Bullseye in Tacoma sell steel targets that have the steel sourced and cut by a local steel company. There is one guy who paints them and welds the stands. Most of the steel targets at Range 15 on post, and the steel at Evergreen Sportsman's Club were sold by I5.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top