Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2022 10:27:17 AM EDT
As any one else noticed that the state "safety inspection " are starting to be anything but safety inspection and more like buy a new car inspection.

Was told the other day that a crack vent visor would fail me unless removed.

A cracked aftermarket add on fails a safety inspection?

I think after a car turns 10 years old they start to find things that have nothing to do with safety
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 10:43:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Just about everyone who does inspections is a mechanic shop who is looking to make money.

The other thing I see is some places charge $15 for an inspection while others charge $50.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 12:14:58 PM EDT
[#2]
The State has come down on inspection stations and inspectors to do the job they got a certificate for better.

There was and has been far too many lick and sticks as well as Techs using a different vehicle to pass the emissions portion of the test.  They did crack down on that very, very hard.

Link Posted: 7/14/2022 10:51:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just about everyone who does inspections is a mechanic shop who is looking to make money.

The other thing I see is some places charge $15 for an inspection while others charge $50.
View Quote

It always seemed that way when I lived there. Under body oil coating seems to help a bit, but the salt always wins in the end.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 1:15:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I think the shops' hands are tied by the state. The state has been strictly enforcing everything and holding the shops accountable according to everyone I've talked to. They say it's just not worth risking their license to look the other way on stupid shit to help people out.

For example, last year and again this year on a different car I needed to change out headlights because they weren't "pure white". One set were factory 6000K HIDs - I had to go get 4000K ones

Link Posted: 7/21/2022 5:34:30 PM EDT
[#5]
The shop I go to this year dinged me for LED fog lights I've had since I bought the vehicle and I've always been happy with them in the past. This year they seem to have a "take it or leave it" attitude.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 7:43:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think the shops' hands are tied by the state. The state has been strictly enforcing everything and holding the shops accountable according to everyone I've talked to. They say it's just not worth risking their license to look the other way on stupid shit to help people out.

For example, last year and again this year on a different car I needed to change out headlights because they weren't "pure white". One set were factory 6000K HIDs - I had to go get 4000K ones

View Quote

huh? a State Inspection Station said your OEM headlights were not ok?

Link Posted: 7/24/2022 10:08:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah.  This doesn't add up to me.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 8:46:07 PM EDT
[#8]
He held a white piece of paper in front of them and showed me they had a slight blue tint. They're HIDs so the lamp color can change as the ballast ages, but the lamps were factory 6000k Subarus.

The other set that failed were aftermarket 6000k HIDs that were a few years old and were starting to turn purple. I ditched the ballasts on those and went to LEDs.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 9:04:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Find a new shop.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 10:03:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

You would not believe how many times we have had to aim the head lights on a brand new truck cause they were not aimed at the factory.  I could believe them putting in bulbs that were tinted "too blue" and not realizing it too.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 6:59:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the reminder I have to pay the inspection tax next month.  Need to make an appointment.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 7:55:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 1:29:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Shop up in Swanzey got shut down for doing them too fast, too many, not being thorough.
Don't know if it's a temp time-out or not.  Hope so, that guy was cool.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 2:06:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Shop up in Swanzey got shut down for doing them too fast, too many, not being thorough.
Don't know if it's a temp time-out or not.  Hope so, that guy was cool.
View Quote

A couple years ago I got an inspection at Wilsons Tire in Plymouth.  Wasn't my first choice, but was walk in on a Saturday.

The guy doing the inspection said there was a minimum time per vehicle according to the state.  

Link Posted: 8/18/2022 7:49:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 7:22:33 PM EDT
[#16]
My tax appointment scheduled for Friday.

Found an old plate on my land today, I wonder if I should try sneaking through.

Link Posted: 8/19/2022 9:42:34 PM EDT
[#17]
My latest inspection story:

We just bought a minivan for my wife, a 2018. From a dealer. Dealer ran it through their shop and put a sticker on it with the temp plates.

I went back 3 weeks later to have new tires mounted and an alignment done because the passenger front was wicked bald on the inside edge, like the camber or toe had been way out for a while. Dunno how I missed that when I bought it, but I did. Anyways, the service manager calls back and says the front brake pads are basically non existent. When I explained that his shop put a sticker on that car 3 weeks and 500 miles ago, he had no good explanation on how that was possible
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:05:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My latest inspection story:

We just bought a minivan for my wife, a 2018. From a dealer. Dealer ran it through their shop and put a sticker on it with the temp plates.

I went back 3 weeks later to have new tires mounted and an alignment done because the passenger front was wicked bald on the inside edge, like the camber or toe had been way out for a while. Dunno how I missed that when I bought it, but I did. Anyways, the service manager calls back and says the front brake pads are basically non existent. When I explained that his shop put a sticker on that car 3 weeks and 500 miles ago, he had no good explanation on how that was possible
View Quote

you should tell him well he can replace the brakes and bill the sales dept or you can call the DOT and have their inspection license taken... his choice..
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 4:00:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 5:29:48 PM EDT
[#20]
New Hampshire has been overly strict on safety inspections since before I moved here 20 years ago.  

When I moved from Texas, I had to get my 4x4 SUV reinspected in order to get NH plates.  I took it to a local dealership, who informed me that the vehicle failed the state inspection because the rear glass was tinted too dark.  They said I need to remove the tint.  The dumbass dealership didn't realize that the windows in the vehicle were factory windows with no added film or tint.  

After I proved that the windows were factory-installed and not aftermarket tinted, the dealership said I still needed to replace the rear glass with untinted replacement glass.  I told them to get f'd.  I took the SUV down the street to a small mechanic shop that performed the inspection.  Passed with no issues.

Also, NH doesn't seem to mind the hundreds of thousands of out-of-state vehicles, which are not subjected to the same level of scrutiny, that get driven into the state each year.
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 5:35:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Fifty dollars later I got a fancy new green sticker yesterday.

It's absurd how the state isn't setting the price as almost every place has different prices.  The worst was a couple years ago at Wilson's Tire in Plymouth.  I was in a pinch and they did walk ins-$59.

Just call it a tax.
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 10:02:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Fifty dollars later I got a fancy new green sticker yesterday.

It's absurd how the state isn't setting the price as almost every place has different prices.  The worst was a couple years ago at Wilson's Tire in Plymouth.  I was in a pinch and they did walk ins-$59.

Just call it a tax.
View Quote

It's basically what it is but the private shops set the rates. Personally I'd rather see mandatory insurance than state inspections but you're going to pay someone one way or another. Myself, I'd rather not have an inspection yearly and have mandatory proof of insurance.

I keep my vehicle in safe running order because I care about safety but I have to keep "uninsured motorist" coverage along with all my other coverage for the douchebags who drive a shitbox that can maybe once a year pass inspection driven by some dipshit that can barely hold onto his license because he lives his life reenacting the fast and furious yet aren't required to provide insurance to others for their shitty life choices.

Lucky for us people who drive safe vehicles and have a good driving record, we get double fucked.....

Pay up, SUCKER!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top