Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2023 11:47:57 AM EDT
GSL is aware of one case where ISP tried to enforce.  Are there others?  

https://www.gunssavelife.com/state-police-release-statement-on-ccw-magazine-compliance-checks/

Bishop on Air had this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbKe4bkaXEI

Link Posted: 3/12/2023 10:32:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Tip of the iceberg/wave of the future. We know some officers routinely call in serial #'s of every firearm they come across. Now IL police have more reason to inspect your firearms.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 10:43:16 AM EDT
[#2]
@SwanHunter,
Is there a legal obligation to hand an officer your fire arm for him to inspect simply because he asks for it?
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 12:06:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@SwanHunter,
Is there a legal obligation to hand an officer your fire arm for him to inspect simply because he asks for it?
View Quote

I’m not SwanHunter but being a retired LEO here is just my opinion.  It all depends on the circumstances.  If Officers get a report of domestic disturbance involving a vehicle with similar description to yours and you get stopped.  The Officer might have reasonable suspicion to detain you to determine if you were involved.   The Officer might handcuff a person for Officer safety as they conduct a roadside inquiry as to whether you were involved.   You might meet the description of the suspect enough to justify asking questions and running your drivers license.   If the Officer finds your carrying concealed with ccl he will probably hold the weapon until the time your released.   Many departments run the weapon serial number and description through NCIC for stolen check.  

With a traffic stop for various traffic violations whether an Officer request a person with a concealed carry license to surrender their firearm will be dictated by time, location and circumstances.   If the Officer detects the odor of alcohol and/or other substances, or the driver has an invalid drivers license will dictate how the Officer responds.   In my experience if a LEO encounters a person with a concealed carry license they are usually a good citizen and not a threat to society.  I tried to conduct my business with these people and don’t remember asking many if any to surrender their weapon unless they were intoxicated.

Unfortunately not all Police Officers are at the top of their game.    As a civilian I respond to Officers in a courteous calm manner.   If I have a question I ask the Officer in a polite way.   Officer’s demeanor might change if the offender becomes loud, obnoxious, rude or threatening.   I suggest citizens treat the Officer how they would like to be treated in return.   Most Police Officers are aware everyone has a cell phone and likely will be recorded.   Most every Officer has an in vehicle recording device and or might be wearing a body camera.  

Remember Officers from the area where you live might perform their duties differently from Police Officers in other parts of Illinois.  If an Officer ask if there are any firearms or drugs in the vehicle I suggest you do not lie to the Officer.   If your carrying a concealed weapon and the Officers ask if there are any guns or firearms in the vehicle then I would tell the Officer I had a ccl and where the weapon was located.   Depending on the actions of the person carrying a concealed weapon may dictate how the Officer responds.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 12:31:54 PM EDT
[#4]
@SwanHunter,
View Quote

Yes, duty to inform, it is in the CC law.  Upon request you have to inform and officer can take control of gun until end of the stop.

Link Posted: 3/15/2023 12:43:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks @SwanHunter....

It's my understanding that I have no duty to "inform", but if the officer specifically asks if I'm carrying then I must confirm or deny that....correct?
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 3:49:17 PM EDT
[#6]
You are correct.  You don't have to volunteer the info although that info will show up if they run your plates.

Link Posted: 3/16/2023 7:47:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes if we run the plates it will show if the registered owner has a ccw most the time.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 8:22:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yes if we run the plates it will show if the registered owner has a ccw most the time.
View Quote

That still doesn’t mean he is currently carrying.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 9:24:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Correct, plus the registered owner might not be driving the vehicle. Either way I could care less. If they are carrying it usually ends up talking guns, but thats just me.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 11:04:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you don't have a ccw, does it show up in the system that you have a FOID card if your name is run?

The reason I ask is, I have encouraged several people in the past to get FOID cards whethere they intend to be gun owners or not.  This is mostly because of the long wait, (legally <30days, reality >30days) to get a FOID, just in case they needed to have access to a firearm quickly.   Unfortunately many of them don't currently own a firearm (dumb I tell them because they would have to wait the 72 hr. until they could even take possession of one they would purchase).
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 4:04:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 6:26:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If you don't have a ccw, does it show up in the system that you have a FOID card if your name is run?

The reason I ask is, I have encouraged several people in the past to get FOID cards whethere they intend to be gun owners or not.  This is mostly because of the long wait, (legally <30days, reality >30days) to get a FOID, just in case they needed to have access to a firearm quickly.   Unfortunately many of them don't currently own a firearm (dumb I tell them because they would have to wait the 72 hr. until they could even take possession of one they would purchase).
View Quote

I don’t think it would of showed up in the past. Now with the foid/ccw card, I imagine so. Maybe some one will chime in and say if it does or not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top