Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2020 10:58:03 AM EDT
https://tennesseelookout.com/2020/05/08/health-department-gives-names-addresses-of-tennesseans-with-covid-19-to-law-enforcement/

It appears this started around 4/9 with a letter to county sheriffs, according to the article.  Now the major push to test everyone in the state makes a lot more sense.  Not a fan of the privacy implications and/or potential for abuse/misuse.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 12:19:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I predict a HIPPA courtroom smackdown with a punitive punishment.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 12:45:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 1:45:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ratherbe10-42:
I predict a HIPPA courtroom smackdown with a punitive punishment.
View Quote

Unfortunately no.

You start getting into the nuts and bolts of HIPAA, and you quickly learn that government investigative agencies are largely exempt.  

HIPAA provides practically no protection of your privacy from the one entity from which you most need it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 2:46:55 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote

Except for this nugget:

"COVID-19 guidelines issued by the Office for Civil Rights at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services allows public agencies to release the names of individuals infected or exposed to the virus to law enforcement, paramedics and other first responders without their permission."

It's only a HIPAA violation if *WE* say it is, pissant.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 3:34:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 9:39:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Heaven forbid that a police officer or EMT learns that someone has the Wu Flu.  OK, it's a virus.  You can get it from walking through a store and someone is coughing or touching a contaminated door knob then rubbing your eyes.  You either have mild symptoms, get really sick, get better or die.

It's not like AIDS and the social stigma.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 9:48:14 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

HIPPA rules are suspended under the emergency declaration.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top