Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2021 1:41:30 PM EDT
I am looking to start a new chapter in the Columbia River Gorge, on the border between Oregon and Washington.  My wife and I are also planning to open a crossfit gym this fall in the Dalles, OR (it might ring a bell if you've played Oregon Trail), and I am hoping to base the chapter out of the gym.  I figure rucking might appeal to people wanting to improve their fitness anyway.  

I am wondering if there is an elevator pitch, or basic script to use when promoting APC?  It would be nice to have something to say rather than making it up on the spot each time someone asks about the group.  Are other chapters starting FB pages, or websites?  Putting out fliers?  Just using word of mouth or posting here?  I've discussed with TNC how the WA chapter got going, and posting pictures in hometown forum got people interested.  I would like to know how other groups got it done.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:31:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 6:30:17 PM EDT
[#2]
When asked by the curious onlookers I usually respond with "promotes outdoor leadership" and the skills therein. Or something along those lines.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 10:49:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I just stated asking my friends to go on a ruck. They would say "a what?" And I would say I'm doing this thing where I have to do x amount of hikes over the next 90 days with 35# plus a rifle or 45# dry weight.

When on the hike they would ask what this thing was so i would say I was training for the Warfighter challenge. they would ask what that was so I would tell them about it.  They all thought it sounded pretty bad ass.

I've never said its like an adult boy scout thing because to me it seems disingenuous-- and they have lost their good reputation in many people's eyes--and you'll probably loose out on some good dudes that are looking exactly for what the APC is.

Im upfront about it. I say things are kinda crazy these days and I want to learn as many valuable skillets as I can and make as many likeminded friends as I can. Yes it's a workout and a challenge but also an opportunity to learn/practice warfighter skills, search and rescue skills, comms, & emergency response.

Ito increase attendance  in the near future I plan to put out a two month schedule for my area so I can invite my friends, or text the event schedule to interested parties, or post it at the gym.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top