Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2020 9:50:56 PM EDT
Just moved back to Vegas and am wondering what some good spots within a couple hours of Vegas are to stargaze. My daughter was upset because we moved right before her space unit at school started, and now she can’t go back to school here. Was hoping to take her somewhere to show her the sky like she’s never seen it before.

I know Death Valley is good, but would rather avoid CA right now. Tonapah is a little further than I’d like to drive this week. Was thinking of just heading out toward Rachel and seeing what it would be like. Any good places out there for an easy night trip and back without camping or staying over?
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 10:00:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 11:32:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Take the dirt road up to Alamo. About 70 miles on a solid gravel road.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 1:22:59 AM EDT
[#3]
For a quick trip i just go to lovell canyon, it's enough where there is just a little localized light pollution above vegas but mostly blocked by mountian.

Nevada is actually pretty good for finding low light pollution.https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 2:59:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I know you said no camping but check out eagle valley, its far enough away theres practically no light pollution, the camping area has hot showers and working restrooms that are stocked, crawfish galore.

locally id probably towards pahrump or willow beach area
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 2:53:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks all for the input. We were thinking of Rachel tonight, but seeing it’s going to be 21 for a low we’re going to push it off a few weeks. Don’t want to drive a couple hours to have the kids want to sit in the truck cause of the cold.

Also going to check out Eagle Valley. Looks like a decent place to camp and would love to fill a basket with crawfish.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 4:14:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 11:18:11 AM EDT
[#7]
The pads out by death valley are awesome.

Except they're in CA, and an airline track runs through the area.

https://freecampsites.net/?_escaped_fragment_=9901&query=sitedetails
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top