Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2018 6:48:18 PM EDT
St. Joseph's Indian School was one of my Grandmother's favorite charities.

We are desended from Native Americans ourselves but a different tribe/nation.
So I'm sympathetic to the hardships some of them face.

I still get solicitations from them.

Are they a worthy institution?

If so I might continue with some small donations.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 8:50:02 PM EDT
[#1]
According to my wife, who has worked with lots of Native kids from various parts of South Dakota says it would be worthy of donations.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 10:57:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you sir !!
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 12:31:59 PM EDT
[#3]
One of the instructors at the Law Enforcement academy in Pierre spoke highly of it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 11:30:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I grew up in Chamberlain... I have a different outlook.

The school is run by the Catholic Church, so that is where the money ties are.
I believe they do good for the children, however their fundraising tactics are questionable at best. for example, I have heard of them taking kids, putting some ratty clothes on them and taking them to some dilapidated house to take pictures for the brochures. I also have some stories about a relative that used to open the mail with the donations in them... nothing illegal, just sad to hear about the folks that are scraping by themselves sending everything they can to 'Help the kids' though the Catholic Church isn't hurting any.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 1:59:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I grew up in Chamberlain... I have a different outlook.

The school is run by the Catholic Church, so that is where the money ties are.
I believe they do good for the children, however their fundraising tactics are questionable at best. for example, I have heard of them taking kids, putting some ratty clothes on them and taking them to some dilapidated house to take pictures for the brochures. I also have some stories about a relative that used to open the mail with the donations in them... nothing illegal, just sad to hear about the folks that are scraping by themselves sending everything they can to 'Help the kids' though the Catholic Church isn't hurting any.
View Quote
Adding a few links:
Forgive me for CNN, but this one is pretty spot on:
CNN

US News
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 10:35:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Wow !!

Thanks.

Might not feel too bad if we don't give to them again.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 11:14:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Like I said, as near as I can tell they do do some good for the kids. The ones I knew that came into the High School (they don't teach HS, or at least didn't then) seemed like good kids, never were in trouble... However, like the articles suggest they ruffle some feathers with the local Tribes.

As mentioned, my issue with them is the methods they use to fundraiser.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top