Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2023 10:12:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PA452]
Someone sent me this article yesterday. Anyone know anything more about it?

https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/state-police-searching-dozens-guns-sold-without-records-butler-county/3MYHXEQFFZGT7F66TSEKF66YYA/

BUTLER COUNTY, Pa. — Pennsylvania State Police are trying to track down dozens of firearms that were sold at a Butler County store.

Federal agencies investigated and charged the store’s previous owner for selling guns off the books. An expert said not knowing who he sold them to is a big concern.

Grant Williams used to own the Sportman’s Supply Company in Summit Township Butler County.

State police released a report saying the store has 30 firearms currently missing.

William’s attorney said this new investigation stems from the U.S. Attorney’s case against Williams who pleaded guilty to several firearm charges for not registering five guns.

Authorities said one of those guns was used in a crime last year, but it couldn’t be traced since Williams didn’t document the transaction.

“This is a very serious crime,” said Dr. John Cencich, Penn West Professor and Criminologist.

ATF then conducted an audit of Williams’ records between May and August 2022. The audit revealed that 2,636 firearm acquisitions were neither in William’s possession nor recorded in his disposition records. A local criminologist said this is unusual for our area.

“I don’t think you could forget to record 2,600 gun sales so what’s the motivation for anybody to sell those guns off the book?,” said Dr. Cencich.

Authorities said Williams sold 50,000 firearms each year during the pandemic and authorities said a lot of those guns were sold on gunbroker.com

“The fact there is no record going to this eBay-type online gun dealer,” said Dr. Cencich. “They may not ever find those guns until they are picked up at a crime.”

Grant William’s attorney said they are cooperating with authorities as it’s an ongoing investigation. The gunshop had no comment.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 12:00:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I remember hearing about this awhile ago.  Wasnt he selling a TON on GunBroker?
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 1:51:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By laxman09:
View Quote

He was. I just assumed they were doing it the way they needed to though. Wondered if they were being gone after for some bullshit technicality that was overlooked.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 12:25:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By PA452:

He was. I just assumed they were doing it the way they needed to though. Wondered if they were being gone after for some bullshit technicality that was overlooked.
View Quote

My wife used to work gun shows way back in the day for another FFL and I recall her saying that particular shop was full of assholes.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 3:22:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PA452] [#4]
My wife used to work gun shows way back in the day for another FFL and I recall her saying that particular shop was full of assholes.
View Quote

Can't argue with that, though more recently I feel like they got a little better.

Back in the day though there was a time when I wouldn't spend a dime there. One guy in particular was a real ass. I want to say he was eventually fired, but he was there a long time.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 5:30:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Princeton] [#5]
So, is it a couple dozens or 2600+ unaccounted for firearms?

Kind of reminds me of the old Edelman’s store in Philadelphia back in the 70’s-80’s. They were missing hundreds of guns also.

Link Posted: 11/23/2023 2:15:39 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

During the Obama buying panic, he only sold guns and ammo on gunbroker.  The store was closed to all walk in's
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 2:22:03 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Pre Obama he had good people working there.  Always willing to deal if paying cash and ammo prices were great.  When me and my buddy went to buy our Benelli M4s from him, he had to order one for us.  When he was ordering it, he noticed Benelli raised their prices, he honored the old price of $1580 and not charging us $1600ish.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 1:58:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Have no fear the atf would have gone after gunbroker for all the info so they will know where those weapons went
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 8:11:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JK_Pyre] [#9]
Interesting thing about Sportman's Supply; I know they've long since fallen from grace.

When I was in my early to mid twenties, I regarded them one of the best shops in SW PA.

I purchased a ton of stuff from them back in the day. Hell, I bought my first AR from them back in the summer of 98 -- a ban compliant bushmaster
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 11:03:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By JK_Pyre:
Interesting thing about Sportman's Supply; I know they've long since fallen from grace.

When I was in my early to mid twenties, I regarded them one of the best shops in SW PA.

I purchased a ton of stuff from them back in the day. Hell, I bought my first AR from them back in the summer of 98 -- a ban compliant bushmaster
View Quote

They were certainly one of the more interesting gun shops in the area, as in they usually had inventory that caught my interest.

I think they've recently gotten a little better, but for a long time they had a staff issue in my opinion, whether they knew it or not. Some of the people working there had horrible attitudes, very unprofessional, etc.. I forget what timeframe it was, but I reached a point where I wouldn't spend a dime there just because the staff was so shitty.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 4:15:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BSOG1] [#11]
dont care....fk him. he screwed me on an ammo deal. during covid. i sent checks, they where delayed
getting there by a month. i called weekly to follow up etc. i just wanted the fkn ammo.

he finally sends my checks back, marks me with gun broker as a non payer and screwed my A+ rating and sold off the ammo.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 4:17:45 PM EDT
[#12]
doesn't surprise me

They were certainly one of the more interesting gun shops in the area, as in they usually had inventory that caught my interest.

I think they've recently gotten a little better, but for a long time they had a staff issue in my opinion, whether they knew it or not. Some of the people working there had horrible attitudes, very unprofessional, etc.. I forget what timeframe it was, but I reached a point where I wouldn't spend a dime there just because the staff was so shitty.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top