Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2021 9:59:13 PM EDT
I’ve been in Kansas for about two years, and it seems like I average maybe one brown recluse caught in my sticky traps every quarter or so, with a spike in activity during May and June when they are mating.

At this point I am pretty much used to it but it still bugs me. Is this a pretty typical situation for central / eastern Kansas?

I treat with Tempo SC Ultra around the house and it seems to help. I use sticky traps to continuously audit the population.

Link Posted: 5/5/2021 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.

We have tarantulas the size of your head here in southeast Kansas.

And scorpions...

And various poisonous snakes...
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 10:25:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes.

And scorpions...

View Quote

Sheesh, I had no idea. I know you have copperheads, but according to the Kansas snakes guide I downloaded I see that they honor the Sedgwick/butler county line, so I am safe, save for the rattlesnakes lol.

Mostly I am just being desensitized slowly. Grew up in a part of Nebraska with basically nothing poisonous so I only had heard internet hype and horror stories about recluses etc.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:48:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Reminds me that I need to check my sticky traps and put out new ones.....
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 9:59:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Sheesh, I had no idea. I know you have copperheads, but according to the Kansas snakes guide I downloaded I see that they honor the Sedgwick/butler county line, so I am safe, save for the rattlesnakes lol.

Mostly I am just being desensitized slowly. Grew up in a part of Nebraska with basically nothing poisonous so I only had heard internet hype and horror stories about recluses etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.

And scorpions...

You won’t have any trouble. I spend a lot of time walking the fields and forests, and I’ve never been bit by a poisonous snake. I did see quite a few timber rattlers last summer. The tarantulas don’t bite, I don’t think. I just see them crossing the gravel roads. I did get stung by a scorpion several years ago, but they’re the little bark scorpions, so it’s akin to a bee sting.

At least we don’t have cottonmouths.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top