Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2021 5:23:47 PM EDT

Republican Marshall Keene has pledged to reduce the fees for Concealed Handgun Permits if elected.

I had this letter to the editor published today endorsing Keene.  Paul Moog endorses Marshall Keene for Clerk

I encourage Culpeper residents to vote and submit their own Letters to the editor - the Democrats are trolling hard and writing lots of letters supporting the "keep chp fees at maximum" current clerk.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:37:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Marshall is a good guy, it's an oddball March election, anything can happen.  His opponent is a legacy politician lil guy groomed for the job and is the interim Clerk of Court.

What I don't understand is why the county is costing  us almost 100K to run a special March election just for this, when one candidate is the current interim and we have primary elections coming in 3 months.  We are paying more while ensuring less turnout.

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 11:37:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:14:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Rumor has it, Marshall was able to convince somebody to run the special election. If he loses this election he can run for re-election to the school board in the fall. So, Marshall made us pay the $100k for his swing at Clerk of Court and still be able to run in the fall if needed, supposedly.
View Quote

I'm considering this rumor, if not spin.......just like saying the other interim candidate that is favored to win and wanted his pay raise early.  Be certain Marshall has less political pull than the other guy. Gotta love small town gossip

ETA....a June Election, when we already have Primaries,  would not interfere with Marshall's School Board Contingency Plan to run in the fall
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:06:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Rumor has it, Marshall was able to convince somebody to run the special election. If he loses this election he can run for re-election to the school board in the fall. So, Marshall made us pay the $100k for his swing at Clerk of Court and still be able to run in the fall if needed, supposedly.
View Quote

Having Republicans keep control of offices is a good thing as long as they are pro-2A.

The Democrats are throwing millions of our tax dollars at leftist groups that will be used to work against us.  The cost of a special election is marginal at best.  Your average govt. office wastes 100K on a weekly basis.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 12:29:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Republican Marshall Keene has pledged to reduce the fees for Concealed Handgun Permits if elected.
View Quote

Not going to happen.
The Clerk does not set the fees, he just collects them with applications.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 12:50:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Not going to happen.
View Quote

You are buying into the incumbant's spin. The reason some juridictions have lower fees is because someone in a leadership role decided to lower them.  The Clerk can act passively and claim he/she has no power and must collect the maximum fees or be a leader and make efforts to lower them by forgoing his fees and/or asking local law enforcement to do checks for less (or no charge). If Madison and Orange can charge $15 so can Culpeper with proper leadership.

The reason we have crappy gun laws is because people tend to accept the status quo and buy into politicians BS.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 1:11:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You are buying into the incumbant's spin. The reason some juridictions have lower fees is because someone in a leadership role decided to lower them.  The Clerk can act passively and claim he/she has no power and must collect the maximum fees or be a leader and make efforts to lower them by forgoing his fees and/or asking local law enforcement to do checks for less (or no charge). If Madison and Orange can charge $15 so can Culpeper with proper leadership.

The reason we have crappy gun laws is because people tend to accept the status quo and buy into politicians BS.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not going to happen.

I love you.....no homo.

You are correct.    The lil groomed incumbent is quite the shiester.  He's the Dem favorite while convincing some in our realm, the only choice.  Can someone post the Chamber of Commerce debate?  I only see it on Facebook.   That would be huge wake up call.   I'm beginning to think we have every bit as many stupid people as the Dems.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 1:27:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I love you.....no homo.

You are correct.    The lil groomed incumbent is quite the shiester.  He's the Dem favorite while convincing some in our realm, the only choice.  Can someone post the Chamber of Commerce debate?  I only see it on Facebook.   That would be huge wake up call.   I'm beginning to think we have every bit as many stupid people as the Dems.
View Quote

I will take the non-homo love :-)

I haven't seen any of the debates but it should be patently obvious to all by now that the Dems are determined to undermine gun rights by any means possible.

While the Republican Party is imperfect it is up to us at the grassroots level to push pro-gun rights candidates like Marshall Keene into local offices.

Link Posted: 3/25/2021 1:48:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I will take the non-homo love :-)

I haven't seen any of the debates but it should be patently obvious to all by now that the Dems are determined to undermine gun rights by any means possible.

While the Republican Party is imperfect it is up to us at the grassroots level to push pro-gun rights candidates like Marshall Keene into local offices.

View Quote

I only know Marshall from 2A activities, but he's a very raw, what you see is what you get kinda guy.  He will approach anyone and talk.  Beard is a political legacy and in his debate talks about how tough it was leaving Culpepper for JMU.....moving an hour away simply to be a student is tough????
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 2:11:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Just a reminder if you are in Culpeper to vote on Tuesday.  Technically both candidates are independent, but Keene is open on his R background  and Beard pretends he's not party affiliated while being entrenched; so much so the  Dems have deployed outside resources into Culpeper, weird....why is yet another local election not so local with influence?

Anyway, just know both are listed as "I" but neither are.  Vote however you wish, but research as the headlines are BS. This is the only candidate Q&A I've seen:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=231490625331389&id=150948405945&fs=0&focus_composer=0
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 12:37:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not going to happen.

The total for my renewal and my wife's new CHL was $30 in Spotsylvania.  So thats $15 a pop also
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 9:28:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 12:19:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not going to happen.

The state law sets many of the fees, and clearly specifies the upper limit for them.

A few are subject to local reductions, but not out of the Clerks Office.

Have you even read and understood the state code?

The clerk is a paper pusher.
LOTS of paper.

I will not vote for Beard anyway.

ALL government positions are political to some extent.

Arlington  County is the height of 'apolitical politics.'
They still run the entire county board "at large" so the Democrats
(formerly known as "Arlingtonians for a Better County" or  ABC)
could maintain control.

This was a way around the interpretation of the 'Hatch Act'
that was prevalent for many years.
Many residents of Arlington work for the Feds.

Link Posted: 3/30/2021 7:40:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Nick Freitas is backing Keene, so I hope he was able to pull it off.

Link Posted: 3/30/2021 8:25:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 2:51:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Keene lost by a wide margin.

Carson W. Beard - 71.01%
Marshall D. Keene - 28.94%
Write In - 0.05%
View Quote

The Dems had a very effective letter writing campaign to the local paper with 30+ letters in favor of the incumbant  (note some here bought into their rhetoric - hence it worked). AFAIK only Keene and myself wrote LTE in favor of Keene.  

Not sure what kind of "get out the vote" operation the Culpeper Republicans mounted but clearly local Republican voters did not turn out in the numbers required to overturn the Dem/Courthouse crowd.

Lesson learned (amoungst others) - do not neglect having supporters write letters to the editor with compelling reasons to vote for your candidate.

Link Posted: 3/31/2021 4:19:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Both candidates have been decent people and if Beard is organized and remains unbias than nothing is lost; however, I am concerned at how Dems of up North meddled in smalltown politics outside their jurisdiction and the local news rag has been very unfair to Keene.  Both ran as indepedents, Keene was upfront with affiliations, Beard not so much and comes across as spineless.......we shall see.

The take away here is to expect an uphill battle for any office and in most cases we will lose as our idea of limited government and political engagement is our own handicap.  Conversely, the media spun this election and Dems treat this like religion and sent "missonaries" to do "righteous" work ......also a break laws (had one election officer for Beard ejected yesterday).
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 2:06:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The Dems had a very effective letter writing campaign to the local paper with 30+ letters in favor of the incumbant
View Quote

The Start-Exponent leans left.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top