Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2019 11:28:09 PM EDT
I have a SPOT gps transceiver, and want to create a little rescue circle amongst my friends and likeminded people. I can think of plenty of times where I don’t need the whole Calvary, but some assistance is def required. I frequent plenty of areas around here that have no cell coverage, but have GREAT ham repeater coverage.

The plan would be that one of the alert functions on the SPOT would email the rescue group, which would prompt the other members to pick up their HT radio and tune to the designated frequency, where they could speak directly with the member requiring assistance.

Having all members get a HAM ticket isn’t practical IMO, so I was considering using a GMRS frequency (I do have a license). I know there is a repeater listed on the local sheets but I’m not sure if it still works.

Any of you involved in the local radio scene that can provide some input or general heckling? Ultimately, I’m just trying to make the outdoors a little safer for myself and my group of outdoor enthusiasts with a minimal equipment investment. Something that can establish emergency comms with a BFang and a good antenna to get somebody out of a pickle.

I also would be open to having you all and other outdoorsman participate in the group. I think we have the resources to make a nice little mutual aid group.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 5:01:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Talk to BroncoGlenn and Wolfpack.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 2:26:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 4:22:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not me. I have NO idea about any of that stuff. I can barely get CHiPS on my TV.....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Talk to BroncoGlenn and Wolfpack.
Not me. I have NO idea about any of that stuff. I can barely get CHiPS on my TV.....
I misunderstood. I thought you had a HAM network setup in Rachel during the Storm Area 51 event.

Link Posted: 12/2/2019 4:52:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 11:49:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A neighbor set up one of those Baofeng radios for me...if they ever decided to change channels I would have been fucked....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I misunderstood. I thought you had a HAM network setup in Rachel during the Storm Area 51 event.

A neighbor set up one of those Baofeng radios for me...if they ever decided to change channels I would have been fucked....
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 12:29:18 AM EDT
[#6]
You have the frequencies (up/down) for the GMRS repeater and PL tone you need tested?  I can program up a radio and try it out.

Your standard GMRS/FRS blister pack radios won’t do repeaters. But dedicated GMRS radios will or repurposed UHF commercial gear can be used. Technically Baofengs aren’t legal on GMRS but unless you go out of your way to draw attention to yourself nobody cares. Baofengs, however, have their own host of problems; typical you get what you pay for hencho en China stuff.

If you are in a true emergency, however, the FCC does allow for you to use whatever means you have available to call for help, license or no.
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 12:38:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Oh, and HTs will generally offer a poor experience if that’s all you have. They work well in outdoor environments where you are line of sight with the other party. But if you are talking distance or obstructions, a full power mobile radio with an external antenna will do much more.

Although if cost is an issue an external antenna with an HT will perform orders of magnitude better than an HT inside a vehicle. I’ve seen incredible results from even a mag mount antenna with a VHF handheld. So no, you don’t need to drill holes in your roof.

Although if you have an aluminum bodied truck you may have issues with the mag mount antenna. @ScooterInVegas
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 1:57:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By @BroncoGlenn:

Although if you have an aluminum bodied truck you may have issues with the mag mount antenna. @ScooterInVegas
View Quote
I got tired of my mag mount falling off my truck when I turned or braked hard so I drilled a hole last summer.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 11:20:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Oh, and HTs will generally offer a poor experience if that’s all you have. They work well in outdoor environments where you are line of sight with the other party. But if you are talking distance or obstructions, a full power mobile radio with an external antenna will do much more.

Although if cost is an issue an external antenna with an HT will perform orders of magnitude better than an HT inside a vehicle. I’ve seen incredible results from even a mag mount antenna with a VHF handheld. So no, you don’t need to drill holes in your roof.

View Quote
I'm familiar with the shortcomings of the Chinesium gear, but I've had decent luck line of sight around here, especially away from the city where the blister packs used by every cleaning, driving, landscaper company don't reach.  I have various BFangs with Diamond whips, and for the price I'm satisfied. I also have a full power truck mounted radio with proper external antenna, and it gets the job done very nicely.

As far as a repeater to test, I haven't even picked one out as I was hoping to chat with an owner before I just commandeer it for my little plan. I have the local HAM repeaters programmed in my radios for emergencies, but the whole point of my operation is for above-board comms so I can call my buddy and say 'hey bring me a tire', etc.

Do you have any contact with Southie radio club folks @Broncoglenn? Barring that, I might try 'the Rat' which broadcasts from high Potosi on 462.675, +5 MHz PL-162.2
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 4:48:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Do you have any contact with Southie radio club folks @Broncoglenn? Barring that, I might try 'the Rat' which broadcasts from high Potosi on 462.675, +5 MHz PL-162.2
View Quote
I’m a member of the W7HEN amateur radio club. They have a tech meeting every Tuesday morning at Jokers Wild in Henderson and 4th Saturday at Village Pub on Eastern and Sunridge Heights. You are welcome to stop by, just hit me up if you want more info.

They have repeaters around the valley. One on Apex peak has some coverage as far north as Coyote Springs and quite a ways south. They also have a linked repeater out in Pahrump.

If you need to get a ham ticket they can help you out with that too. W7hen.com

The Laurel VEC does free testing sessions and submits results to the FCC electronically so you have a license within a couple days.

Also stop by the AR15 ham forum here:  https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/Ham-Radios/22/
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 9:30:57 PM EDT
[#11]
"The Rat" GMRS repeater would be a good one for wide area coverage.  I'm pretty confident the owner (Paul) would be completely cool - he has lots of gear up on the ham bands too and often says he just wants people to use them.  I'm licensed for GMRS but never use it - could easily plug it into my Moto base / HTs.

Any number of ham repeaters are probably better options if you decided to get your ticket.

I'm not always available (work / travel, etc) but am up for being a contact on your list of you do it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 10:05:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
"The Rat" GMRS repeater would be a good one for wide area coverage.  I'm pretty confident the owner (Paul) would be completely cool - he has lots of gear up on the ham bands too and often says he just wants people to use them.  I'm licensed for GMRS but never use it - could easily plug it into my Moto base / HTs.

Any number of ham repeaters are probably better options if you decided to get your ticket.

I'm not always available (work / travel, etc) but am up for being a contact on your list of you do it.
View Quote
Well, got the RAT tuned up today and actually ran into Paul on frequency. He's open to my plan, and told me about the impressive coverage of the RAT, so I think it's the best choice. He was able to hit it from Catalina Island at 6,500 feet with a handheld! It also covers death valley, sandy valley, etc.

Anybody interested in being in the group, I'll make a separate post as I firm up the details!

Thanks for all the help everybody!
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 9:55:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Well, got the RAT tuned up today and actually ran into Paul on frequency. He's open to my plan, and told me about the impressive coverage of the RAT, so I think it's the best choice. He was able to hit it from Catalina Island at 6,500 feet with a handheld! It also covers death valley, sandy valley, etc.

Anybody interested in being in the group, I'll make a separate post as I firm up the details!

Thanks for all the help everybody!
View Quote
Excellent.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 9:32:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
High Potosi is 8500' and Low Potosi is about 8200.  I'm guessing he was in a plane over Catalina since it's peak is at 2100.  Radio Horizon from 8500' to 6500' shows as 244 miles (130 from 8500 and 114 from 6500).  Not saying it cant be done as Catalina shows as 224 miles line of sight from Potosi, just going to need more than a Baofeng and a rubber duck to make it happen.  Some beam antenna at the very least connected to the HT to at least hear the distant station.  Granted if ducting is at play it can happen but that's not something that could be counted on.

TLDR; Long distance VHF/UHF is entirely possible with high enough antennas and the right kind of antennas.
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 9:51:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

High Potosi is 8500' and Low Potosi is about 8200.  I'm guessing he was in a plane over Catalina since it's peak is at 2100.  Radio Horizon from 8500' to 6500' shows as 244 miles (130 from 8500 and 114 from 6500).  Not saying it cant be done as Catalina shows as 224 miles line of sight from Potosi, just going to need more than a Baofeng and a rubber duck to make it happen.  Some beam antenna at the very least connected to the HT to at least hear the distant station.  Granted if ducting is at play it can happen but that's not something that could be counted on.

TLDR; Long distance VHF/UHF is entirely possible with high enough antennas and the right kind of antennas.
View Quote
Well, he's into radios enough to service multiple repeaters, so definitely not ruling out some special antennas.
He was in his aircraft, so who knows he might even have been on a mobile mounted aboard, I suppose I assumed it was a handheld. I'll ask next time I'm on frequency!
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 12:25:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
To be fair, ducting isn’t that uncommon especially along or near a land/ocean interface but that would be less likely than a mobile radio with an external antenna in an aircraft.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 2:03:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Had the RAT working up in Big Bear today on a mobile rig, pretty impressive.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 11:05:40 AM EDT
[#18]
I got The Rat programmed into a couple of everyday radios so it will be a lot easier to get there now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top