Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2021 8:30:58 AM EDT
Hey all,

My wife and I are moving to Howell County this summer, moving to a place we bought. We live in NH and the road salt is terrible during the winter. I get my vehicles under chassis oil coated every year here and it seems to stave off the worst of the corrosion.

Is salt corrosion a thing to worry about in the southern part of MO? I have read that in the northern part, they tend to use a fair amount of salt on the road...

They use something here that even is rotting out the bridge steel structures prematurely. It's bad.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 8:36:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes. Unfortunately...

One of my fiends runs a large lawn, Landscaping and snow plow company.

I've seen him have to take truck out of service because of salt corrosion on the frame and other parts...

Never heard oil coating the under carriage.

Link Posted: 4/23/2021 8:48:11 AM EDT
[#2]
While yes they do salt the main state 2 lane highways, it rarely snows and when it does it's gone within a week or less.
If you're retired you can skip going out for a couple days and avoid the salt.

Link Posted: 4/23/2021 10:04:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, there is salt.  If you don't have super nice vehicles, it's not something to worry about.  My retired Mom and Dad trade vehicles (for new) every 6 or 7 years.  They never show signs of body rust when they trade them.  If you keep a vehicle for 10+ years and you don't take ridiculous care of it, you'll probably see some rust.  IF you plan to keep vehicles a long time and being 100% rust free is a big deal to you, just buy a beater to drive off and on through the winter during and after snows.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 10:13:57 AM EDT
[#4]
During any snowy weather, if there's a warm enough day the car washes will be packed. Lots of people clean it off the first chance they get.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:43:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't worry about the salt. Our secondary roads will beat your vehicle to death long before they have a chance to rust.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 2:25:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wouldn't worry about the salt. Our secondary roads will beat your vehicle to death long before they have a chance to rust.
View Quote

it's funny because it's true....
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 6:26:28 PM EDT
[#7]
The highway dept in Missouri apparently likes to mix in some pea gravel with the salt. Your windshield will need to be replaced far before rust is a problem.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I live in Ozark County and do my best to avoid having to go to Howell County aka West Plains. It's a dumpy town. Reminds of me of Irving Park Road in Chicago, Illinois - gas station, liquor store, fast food joint, gas station, liquor store, fast food joint - repeat...

It has the most depressing Walmart I've ever been in and sadly I've become a Walmart connoisseur since living here. They do have a large gun department though. Ava, Mountain Home - AR, and Springfield have nicer Walmarts.

There are a couple good pawn shops in WP with lots of used guns. Prices are high though.

Snow doesn't stick around down here long enough to worry about it. Just wash your car off.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 9:58:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I’m from over by Joplin and never noticed much salt.

Moved up to kc suburbs and they will make parking lots white with salt.

Link Posted: 4/24/2021 10:30:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Here in our part of the sticks MODot will pre treat the main highways with salt brine and beet juice. also as another poster stated the secondary roads will beat the fenders off long before the salt does its thing.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 1:36:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

We have pretty good state roads here, the county roads, especially where you're moving to will be beat to death. Lots and lots of gravel roads.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 9:24:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I’m from over by Joplin and never noticed much salt.

Moved up to kc suburbs and they will make parking lots white with salt.

View Quote

Sorry about that, we call that graveling since it looks like a gravel parking lot.  Unfortunately that's all driven by slip/fall lawsuits and wanting wet pavement by the predawn hours.

I doubt I'd worry too much in southern mo especially if you're going to have to try and hire it done.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 11:53:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Where I grew up (South of St. Louis, in the county), they often used what we called cinders, rather than salt. I don't know what it was actually made of though; it was black stuff, just to give a rougher surface.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 8:39:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The highway dept in Missouri apparently likes to mix in some pea gravel with the salt. Your windshield will need to be replaced far before rust is a problem.
View Quote

1 part salt, 1 part 3/8 chips and 2 parts sawdust.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 11:13:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Where I grew up (South of St. Louis, in the county), they often used what we called cinders, rather than salt. I don't know what it was actually made of though; it was black stuff, just to give a rougher surface.
View Quote

I believe that's ash or a byproduct from a coal powerplant.  The black heats up in the sun and helps melt ice.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 9:57:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top