Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2022 5:45:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 9:06:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, not sure where you are, or what you're looking for but there's one in Greenville next weekend...
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 3:22:59 AM EDT
[#2]
"Best gun shows" would be pretty subjective depending on what you'd be after as well as the fact that gun shows have lost viability due to the Internet and endless panic seasons.

There are 3 promoters doing shows in the state:

South Carolina Arms Collectors Association (SCACA) - Puts on shows in Greenville (TD Center) and for this year at two venues in Columbia (Jamil Temple and SC State Fairgrounds). If you are looking for old parts these would probably be your best bet. This is supposedly the last year that they will be doing shows at the Jamil Temple. Non-firearm vendors are kept to a minimum.

Mike Kent Shows - Puts on shows in Florence (Civic Center), Myrtle Beach (Convention Center), and in Ladson (Exchange Park). Shows are a mix of gun dealers and flea market/ancillary items vendors selling stuff that have little or nothing to do with guns. You might find someone selling old parts here but chances are not as good as at a SCACA show.

Great American Promotions - Puts on very small shows throughought the state many in areas not near larger cities. I would not even bother as these shows are rinky-dink and the vendor prices are outrageous even by today's standards. Great American shows suck, period.

For schedules Gun Show Trader is your best bet online:

https://gunshowtrader.com/
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 3:27:03 AM EDT
[#3]
As for "crusty old gun shops" I don't know what to tell you. A lot of these places are gone as the "crusty" owners have either retired or died (most likely died).

Nowadays it's all AR's,polymer-framed pistols, and Tactical Timmy gear.

@mike_nds I take it you have recently relocated to SC. May we ask where from? Was H&R part of the Remington sell-off re-acquisition by PSA's parent company. Tell us some stuff! We'd like to hear from you.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 9:19:21 AM EDT
[#4]
H&R! IN the late 40's as a six/seven year old I learned to shoot using my dad's 9 shot .22 rim fire revolver! Wish I still had it
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 1:56:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 3:09:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Excellent! I have H&R Garands and live not too far from the new facility near the airport. (Old Akabono brake plant) Am retired, but would like to be involved in some way.

I would second Ponty's post. Biggest gun show in the state with best chance of finding oddities and one of a kinds is the Greenville, SC shows put on by SC Arms Collectors Association. next one is August 13th and 14th.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 4:04:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 5:54:24 PM EDT
[#8]
The South Carolina Arms Collectors Association shows are your best bet for older parts and collectibles. As mentioned above, the SCACA is consolidating their shows in Columbia at the fairgrounds starting 2023. From what I hear, they hope to surpass Greenville as biggest show in the state. Unfortunately, there is not another Columbia show until November 19-20 at the Jamil, and December 10-11 at the fairgrounds.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 3:55:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The South Carolina Arms Collectors Association shows are your best bet for older parts and collectibles. As mentioned above, the SCACA is consolidating their shows in Columbia at the fairgrounds starting 2023. From what I hear, they hope to surpass Greenville as biggest show in the state. Unfortunately, there is not another Columbia show until November 19-20 at the Jamil, and December 10-11 at the fairgrounds.
View Quote

Given the horrendous air quality and minimal HVAC at the Jamil Temple not having a show until November is a blessing.

AAR's from the recent show there 2 weeks ago was that attendance was light probably lighter that attendance has ever been for the usual reasons:

Stimulus money gone
Inflation/economics
Vacation expenses
Back-to-school expenses looming
Overpriced merchandise
Same old vendors selling the same old stuff.

And then there's this idiot:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/9/2022 8:18:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Given the horrendous air quality and minimal HVAC at the Jamil Temple not having a show until November is a blessing.

AAR's from the recent show there 2 weeks ago was that attendance was light probably lighter that attendance has ever been for the usual reasons:

Stimulus money gone
Inflation/economics
Vacation expenses
Back-to-school expenses looming
Overpriced merchandise
Same old vendors selling the same old stuff.

And then there's this idiot:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/189022/GunShowFUDD_png-2482592.JPG

View Quote

#truthbombs

So gun shows everywhere since forever.

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:11:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

#truthbombs

So gun shows everywhere since forever.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 2:36:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Id check flea markets and go to the civil war shows. Ive seen 1911’s and hi powers and other things at civil war shows.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:06:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Just for shits and giggles I just drove past the Sumter American Legion Hall where the rinky-dink gun show is being held. Looks pretty quiet. The hall's parking lot is nearly full but it's a very small parking lot and likely half the vehicles parked there belong to show promoters/staff/vendors. Adjacent parking lot (exposition center/fairgrounds) is empty.

Mid-morning on Saturday is typically the busiest time (early birds). This doesn't appear to the be the case today.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 12:21:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just for shits and giggles I just drove past the Sumter American Legion Hall where the rinky-dink gun show is being held. Looks pretty quiet. The hall's parking lot is nearly full but it's a very small parking lot and likely half the vehicles parked there belong to show promoters/staff/vendors. Adjacent parking lot (exposition center/fairgrounds) is empty.

Mid-morning on Saturday is typically the busiest time (early birds). This doesn't appear to the be the case today.
View Quote

With the internet everyones learning its cheaper to buy online and get an ffl to do a transfer for 25$.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 2:32:02 AM EDT
[#15]

the last part is true of some ranges except for the price. some don't want to sort steel case. some won't let you shoot ak ammo or others if it fails their magnet test. BASS PRO in Florida was like that. not sure if they do it up here.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 12:59:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Many indoor ranges will not let you use steel-cased ammo because it's impossible to determine whether or not said ammo has steel-core projectiles. These bullets can penetrate the concrete backstops. Ranges are also concerned with sparking caused by steel-core rounds and/or steel casings (explosion/fire risk).

Ricochet range inspects with a magnet all ammo brought into their range including rounds already loaded in magazines (they make you unload them) and no steel cased ammo is allowed either. Anyone caught trying to circumvent their policy is ejected.

-----------------------------------

In the course of doing Sunday morning errands and dog-walking I drove past the gun show twice: the first time at 10:30am and again just after 12 noon. Pretty evident that attendance at this show is a flop. If this promoter cancels any future engagements here over the next 12 months I would not be suprised.

Link Posted: 9/25/2022 1:15:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Even the Panteao Sportsmans Club outdoor range states "NO armor piercing or tracer ammunition."  Panteao says armor piercing ammo is too hard on the steel targets the club puts up, as well as the target holders.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top